Charging SDC2300 Lithium Batteries

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi

Picked up a new SDC2300 today (the upgraded version) from miners den and the battery pack was dead flat. It would not turn on the machine put on the car charger for about 30 mins got 2 mins of detecting then flat again I didn't expect it to be fully charged but thought I could get 15 mins or so. Just wondering does the blinking green light go solid when fully charged? Trying to figure out if I have a faulty battery pack or not.

They go solid when fully charged.
Best practice with new batteries is to always fully charge before use.

Shannon.

Pretty well all Lithium Ion batteries are shipped with about 25% charge in them. As Jaros stated, charge them fully, check Page 6 of your user manual, it explains the colour coding of the LED.

I get a days detecting from mine, recharge in the evening and take off charge before bed. That way they are cool for the next day and the battery voltage will be at an "at rest voltage".

The specs state that the battery pack is 7.4 VDC, which is usually 2 x 3.7 VDC batteries in series. I've seen the batteries I have, charge at over 4.0 VDC and hold that voltage for a while after charging is complete. It's best to let them settle and cool before using them.

FYI - Every Li-oN mobile phone, tablet, torch or battery I've ever bought, always needs charging before use and is usually stated in the instructions. :)

Thanks for the replys took about 5 hours to charge there was no user manual just a quick start guide and warranty info.

Have charged my WM12 while driving for 2 hours, took near the whole trip! When I charge at home, will charge in about half an hour to 45min - I run the thick charge cable of a dedicated high output USB port.

My point, charging from your car's 12v accessory port is slow and limited in current (amps). Charging off mains is needed for those 18650 batteries, they are high current batteries so need to be fed/charged without restrictions.

They do not suffer any memory effect problems so stick them on the charger overnight, go down to the local park the next day and give them a test. If they do not hold charge, do a warranty claim, it's not completely unusual to get a dud lithium battery.

stevenj48 said:
Thanks for the replys took about 5 hours to charge there was no user manual just a quick start guide and warranty info.

Go to the Minelab web site, SDC2300, Downloads - The full manual is a PDF download. :)

For some reason I am struggling to charge either of my 2 genuine SDC2300 Lithium batteries using the 12V charger.

No problem with using the 240V charger - plug it in, get flashing green light and a few hrs later have a solid green light & good to go again.

But when I use the supplied Minelab 12V charger ( just a plug, lead & croc clips) sometimes it goes ok for a while - flashing green but then starts alternating red & green. Other times it starts alternating red & green as soon as plugged in.

I then charge them with the 240V charger without issue.

I contacted Minelab and they kindly sent me another 12V charger but exactly the same thing happens.

I am connecting the charger to a fully charged (12.8V) car battery ( my aux battery in the car). Even with engine running (13.4V) still have issue.

Anyone else had similar problem & how did you solve it?

Bit odd the 240V adaptor works ok but the stupid alligator clip cable won't.

Jaycar have a ready made cable that fits the 2300 battery's, but instead of the stupid alligator clips it has a cig lighter adaptor.. for $6

Maybe worth trying it.

XLOOX said:
But when I use the supplied Minelab 12V charger ( just a plug, lead & croc clips) sometimes it goes ok for a while - flashing green but then starts alternating red & green. Other times it starts alternating red & green as soon as plugged in.
Pretty sure that's "normal" with Minelab 12v chargers.
As long as the green light is flashing, regardless of the red light, it is charging.

Minelab said:
For input voltages between 11 and 12 V DC, the charger will still operate however the battery will take longer to charge if the power LED is flashing red
For some reason, even on seemingly 12v plus batteries, the Minelab 12v charger flashes the red LED so thinks the input voltage is low.
Not sure why? Voltage drop, thin wires, other accessories being used??
If you leave it does it eventually charge?

I found with the 7000 12 v way if your battery is not fully charged it flash red and i went to cig plug on all my chargers to get away from the clips (just that contact if you don't get it right)

Once I saw the red flash i never let it run much longer.
I will give letting it charge longer a go.
I dont mind the Christmas display as long as it ends up charging.

I was wanting to put a cigarette lighter plug in place of the clips but figured I'd better leave it OEM until i know what is going on. I think I will JFDI.

thanks

So after running down the 2 batteries over a few sessions I let them charge longer on the 12v charger with the red & green flashing and eventually for both batteries they ended up charged - solid green .

So since it worked eventually I then put a cigarette lighter plug on the cable - who the hell wants to keep lifting the hood to charge detector batteries???

So I didnt have cable looping all over my centre console I only used 200mm of the 1500mm cable and guess what - it now works fine ! - green flash only - even though is now plugged into my aux batt cigarette lighter socket instead of clipped directlty to the aux batt.

Only thing I can think of is that the ML cables on both chargers must be high resistance/m - but surely not - they look reasonable gauge wire.

Anyway it all works so I am happy

Attachments

• 20220326_180817.jpg
    20220326_180817.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
For some reason I am struggling to charge either of my 2 genuine SDC2300 Lithium batteries using the 12V charger.

No problem with using the 240V charger - plug it in, get flashing green light and a few hrs later have a solid green light & good to go again.

I then charge them with the 240V charger without issue.

I contacted Minelab and they kindly sent me another 12V charger but exactly the same thing happens.

I am connecting the charger to a fully charged (12.8V) car battery ( my aux battery in the car). Even with engine running (13.4V) still have issue.

Anyone else had similar problem & how did you solve it?
Jut bought. SDC 2300 can’t charge the battery at all ? Green flashing light then just straight green I then put it into the sdc2300 and NOTHING NO START UP NOTHING

yes it’s a lithium battery only goes in one way .charged it up no put it into the sdc2300 and was completely dead. It is a brand new sdc2300 and batteries are new. , could the charger be no good ? Or bad battery

Just bought 4 new alkaline (c ) batteries put them in and the sdc 2300 is now working so it must be the charger or the batteries ?

:rolleyes:
I did ask three times what charger you were using but should have looked at your picture?. Use the 240 Volt charger and you won't have an issue.

Last edited:

Latest posts