Chain mill advice needed please.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussieMate

Arnie Kroezen
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I'm in the process of building a chain mill (tight budget) to fine crush quartz rock for gold. The drum will be hexagon shaped, 150mm wide and an inside diameter of 320mm. It will be driven by a 4stroke 6.5hp petrol motor with pulleys and belt. The chains inside will have hard-faced paddles on the ends.

My question is, what would be a good rpm to aim for?

Cheers

i think you need to target around 3.5k , a lot of these engines don't have throttle controll and simply use a governor to controll butterfly based on load... IE pressure washers and generators...

If you look at the power curve for small stationary engines , you will see that the greater power out put is when it is going faster . But it is using more fuel ! You will get more power out put at 3,000 r.p.m than 1,500 r.p.m. If it is governor controlled , you can make it adjustable with a bit of fencing wire ....

I made one with a single cyl diesel....I just control the rpm's with the throttle. What I find is the size of material feed and quantity
and most importantly moisture content is what bogs down the crusher. I always run the thing near flat out and it works fine!

If you are using a 6.5 h.p. engine , I suggest you use twin vee belts .

Just disconnect the govener so the engine doesnt bog down I do this to all my small engines and it works a treat