Cartridge case identification.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know what calibre these are, and what gun fired them? The largest one has D.M. 4 on the base. The middle one has M.F. 85 on it. The smallest has C.K. 5 on it. wiley.
IMG_20221106_122455_1.jpgIMG_20221106_112905_1.jpgIMG_20221106_122535_1.jpg

The biggest shell is from a Browning 50 cal machine gun. Made in Des Moines. Iowa. USA. mainly used in Bombers and fighter planes. 4 means 1944. The middle one was made in Footscray, Melbourne. 1985. No info on the other one. I looked up the effect the 50 cal has on a human body. I wish I hadn't. If it goes through your body it turns everything inside to mush. If it hits a bone, the bone turns into fragments flying around in your body like a hand grenade. Either way, you're stuffed. Thanks Simmo, for the bullet I.D. info charts. Military bullets don't have the calibre on the case, whereas, civilian bullets do. wiley

wiley coyote is good.
As to looking up the effects ? I know enough not to want to know, and hope no one ever needs to know.

My " phone a friend's " response -

.50 BMG
20 mm
.577/450 M H

and

.50 BMG
Cut off 50 BMG by appearance
.577/450 MH

I would agree with that but did not recognise the 'cut off' .50 BMG case, as for the .577/450 they originally were made with a thin brass foil and soon after with a brass case.

I'm a bit dim lately. 😕

Looks like some one has a minor case collection.
.50 BMG used in a military machine gun or aircraft WW2 ?

.50 Cut off - trench art? and even possibly as a brass case for a 12gauge shotgun, yes they do fit, it is cut the correct length.
--- .50 BMG have been test fired from shotguns - surprising results.

.577/450 - Boar War era firearms, Snider Rifles, SA Police were issued with them in 1867 from memory, a very modern firearm in those days.
--- Kato found a projectile from one of these in her Grandparents back yard - they were a smooth bore rifle and later improvements changed to a rifle --- bored firearm.

Last edited:

Latest posts