Can Anybody Suggest What This Rock Might Be?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Currently on holiday in Scotland & wanted to have a hunt for some Scottish Gold. Using an SDC2300 these rocks give a signal like a rusty horse shoe - very loud. No rusty colour to the rock though to suggest ironstone. If anything it resembles blue stone. Also a lot of blackish/grey sand at edge of river at eddies, which also gives off strong signal with SDC. Didn't find any nuggets (yet), but found this 1921 George V Florin, which I was absolutely rapt with. Took about 20 minutes to dig out to, it was quite far down.SG ROCKS.JPGSG COIN.JPGSG COIN 2.JPG

More than likely iron rich basalt scoopy.

In some places basalt can be really reactive with a metal detector & others just a few rocks or even none at all.
Thanks mbasko, I have also brought quarter of a bucket of black / grey sand back with me to our accommodation to pan, as I was getting a huge signal from that as well. I guess it could be ground up basalt. I've just been fooled by all the iron rich rocks I have come across in Australia being stained red.

Latest posts