Camp stove/heater

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
axeman said:
Thinking about getting one of these not only for cooking but also heating the tent in winter (old age is getting to me). The price is a bit steep, about $270.00.
http://www.dometic.com/5a03eba5-0ac0-4446-9bce-679782bae463.fodoc
Anyone had any experience with these?
:) Mick

Be careful, any naked flame device in a tent can have consequences. They need to be ventilated to operate safely which then defeats the purpose for getting warm, unless you are right next to it. Notwithstanding, any fire risk. I've operated stoves when tenting, but always in the vestuble (entry) which is usually open to some fresh air.

Any fuel wether gas, spirit or solid gives off fumes of some kind, generally in the not nice category, they also use the oxygen, so if in a confined area you can suffocate.

Mate id be really careful if thinking of using one of those. As condor22 said the fumes could do you a lot of harm.
What about the old fashioned method, a big fire outside your tent until bedtime then climb into your swag wrapped in 4 or 5 dooners...should do the trick!!

as a professional fire fighter, and lecturer on home fire safety my advice would be definitely NOT to be used for heating in confined unventilated areas
unless you want to sleep for a long time, anything that has a naked flame gives of carbon monoxide, = death !
damn its 2am i just got home from work, been at a Buddhist temple to see in the there new year and im still working....... damn you Axeman im not getting paid for this
you owe me........... lmao

Thanks for the advice. I am aware of the fire risk. The video I've seen on these said it's very hard (near impossible) to start a fire with this stove as they are fully enclosed and don't leak. This stove/ heater would only be used for heating in severe conditions. As more total open fire bans are being put on camp sites I thought this maybe one way around it. I've camped in temperatures as low as -7 without one, just used extra clothes and extra sleeping bag. The only problem with this is it's restrictive. I've got to have room to move, I usually sleep in shorts and a singlet with only a sheet over me. Thinking it would be a change to have a comfortable camp. Also a heater for the shower room. The tent I have is a rv5 oz tent so it'll take a lot to heat it. Guess I've been living without one for years so why start now?. Get too comfortable and a blokes swinging and digging time will be severely reduced (won't want to get out of bed)
:) Mick

i know they are high maintainence and hinder a good camping session....but get a woman that will snuggle up to ya!
:eek:

that will keep you warm mate!
;)

cheers

only if you let them leave! lol

thats why god invented handcuffs

now i have to run and hide! :D

cheers

Latest posts