Butane Cookers Safety Hazard ( Lunch Box Cookers )

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep but just watch what size pan you use. I use one too there are the ones that have a flat lid over the gas bottle there ok with a bit of caution, but there are ones that the lid is dome shaped I would watch that kind. Casper hit the nail on the head when he stated that LPG is more efficient than the propane. Spot on

Jembaicumbene said:
Yep but just watch what size pan you use. I use one too there are the ones that have a flat lid over the gas bottle there ok with a bit of caution, but there are ones that the lid is dome shaped I would watch that kind. Casper hit the nail on the head when he stated that LPG is more efficient than the propane. Spot on
Yeah, i've got quite a few of these (a few less now after reading the list) because they're cheap and don't take up much space in the bus. I usually take them to Tassie (when i'll mostly be just boiling a billy and mostly eating heated noodle dishes) and just buy the butane canisters over there instead of unloading gas bottles etc for the boat trip. But they're not a pinch on a good gas stove when it comes to cooking, especially for a multi day serious camp setup imo.

The new lunch box cookers on the shelf at Bunnings @ $29 is claimed to be approved it has a built in saftey cut out now.
Its slightly taller than the old model with a fixed top otherwise looks the same.

I have been a bit sceptical about this recall from the beginning.
Everyone I know and everyone they know has at least one of these units. I have never heard of any reports of injury or death from these cookers here in Australia.
I thought that maybe a conspiracy theory was unfolding by some big companies.
Just think of all the sales that Harvey Norman and The Good Guys have been missing out on.
I have decided to keep mine.
I use to have two but the other one blew up :lol:

I can see how someone who had NFI could blow themselves up but anyone with half a brain could avoid this with a little thought.

I have about 4 of these in the shed and use them all the time. I only use mine to boil a small billy and cook jaffels so they won't be getting junked.

I have also taken the next step and got an adapter for the top of the cans so if they take the cans off the shelves I can refill them.

Should be ok in regards to the cans. They have a new design can with a pressure release mechanism in the top. If they build up pressure the cans should pop up at the top and vent excess pressure gas. The tests show it still catches fire but in a more leisurely manner, so you can casually panic and switch off the stove and throw a blanket over it without the explosion. Bonus! :D

I have had a faulty one leak and catch fire before. And if you're cooking on them they chew through the gas. Even at 2 bucks a throw for the canisters it's an expensive and rubbish-creating exercise using one. Much cheaper and just as convenient using a Primus/Companion/Nomad 2 burner I reckon. A $25 Kwik-gas exchange will last months and work out cheaper(and safer) in the long run. Or use a little Companion bottle.

NEVER throw the empty canister in the fire. Not a good party trick. Flying shrapnel never is.
But it will give you a good idea of what to expect when your lunchbox stove blows up in your face.

Jembaicumbene said:
Tathradj Product Safety Recalls Australia

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/952401

SCROUNGER yep that is what I also hear only it was over sized fry pans on a single burner stove covering the gas bottle which would over heat and explode.

tryhard1968 I think your right about Easter but you can still not get them around the ACT as yet.

That is the key the overhang of pots reflecting the heat back on to the canister. On the way back from the Cape a few months back in the Townsville park the guy two sites away was boiling chickens in a large pot ...................... up she went. Flames 20 ft high .............. took out his eyebrows and arm hair, then the plastic table along with his tent and all within it and the side of his boat. Would have took the whole boat if we hadn't dragged it away with it's 20 litre fuel tank. If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed such a small canister could create such a fireball. I used to use mine on the back of the tailgate of the car I now still use it but on the ground about 20 ft from the vehicle as I have no desire to walk home :rolleyes:

BCF have the single burner "safe" lunchbox cookers. They also expect deliveries of the 2 burner units to be on the shelf in the very near future, but at mid September they weren't on the shelves. I was after a single burner unit to always have in the car and picked one up no problems. I had one that wasn't on the list and rang the ACCC and was given a number to ring, they informed me that no cookers were safe prior to the ones that are now getting onto the shelves. Ken.

I have had one of those 'highly dangerous explosive single burner cookers' for ages, never had a problem with it. just got to use a bit of common sense. I do check to see if the gas can is getting hot, but have not had any problems at all. just find it very handy at times.

Mike.

Ive owned 3 of these cookers, a mate used one while I was out hunting, came back and it was stuffed due to overheating, parts had almost melted down, the whole thing was warped, yet it never blew up.

The other 2 I use all the time, never had any issues at all, I'll be keeping mine, also got a box of 12 cans for a xmas present that will last me awhile yet.

Had one blow on me a few years ago (I dont think i had the cylinder in right ) .Have had no problems since

Latest posts