Butane Cookers Safety Hazard ( Lunch Box Cookers )

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

NSW, VIC, QLD, WA, SA & NT Ban Butane Cookers

NSW Office of Fair Trading have issued a warning to consumers not to purchase or use portable single burner butane stove cookers, often referred to as lunchbox cookers.

The Office reports that compliance certification has been suspended for current single burner models of this type gas cooker. Some double burner models are also included in the ban.

This makes them unlawful to sell in NSW. Without accredited product certification, it is likely that other states will also ban the sale of these units.
Gas regulators have identified that some models are unsafe and should be recalled. These models fail the overpressure tests: there is a risk that the cookers may explode if they overheat. Big fry pan over bottle while cooking.
The ACCC is working with the gas regulators to arrange recalls of these models so that any recall has national effect. It is anticipated that product safety recalls for affected models will be in place over the coming weeks. In the meantime, under Australian Consumer Law (ACL) you may be entitled to a refund if you can show proof of purchase.
Energy Safe Victoria is warning Victorians not to use butane canister or lunchbox cookers and they have been removed from sale across Victoria.
Queensland has also issued a safety warning against non-compliant butane cookers.
South Australia has now announced that it has also banned all portable butane stoves. Both single and double burner configurations are now banned in SA.
In Western Australia, EnergySafety and Consumer Protection have issued a joint public warning to consumers not to buy or use portable butane cookers due to safety concerns.
In the Northern Territory, NT WorkSafe issued as safety alert to warn consumers.
The ACT and Tasmania will almost surely ban the sale of these units, as well, assuming that they haven't already done so. We have been unable to verify the status of their policy but we will provide an update as soon as we know.

What are Portable Butane Stoves? Portable butane stove cooker
Portable butane stove cookers are small single burner stove tops powered by butane cartridges.*
They usually weigh about 2kg and are typically transported in a small plastic carrying case.
The portability of these units makes them very popular with campers, caravaners and 4WD enthusiasts.
They typically sell for under $30.

Disposable Butane Cartridges

The 220g disposable butane cartridges simply slide into the unit and are locked in place.
Many of these cartridges are now equipped with a Countersink Release Vent (CRV). The CRV is a safety feature that is designed into the cartridge to allow the release of some gas in an over pressure situation, as would occur when exposed to excess heat.
This helps to eliminate any risk of explosion. The video below explains how they work. Apologies for the 'sales pitch' style of the video.
Empty butane cartridges should be disposed of properly. Community recycling centres are the best place to take any empties.

Why are NSW, VIC, QLD, WA, SA & NT Banning Sales?
The Office believes that this type of cooker poses a safety hazard.
Testing has found a fault with the cookers shut-off valves. This creates a risk that the units may overheat and could possibly explode. There have been reports of incidents, including some involving injuries, in NSW and across Australia. This is not a product recall. At this point, the Office just wants to stop any additional sales with this 'Stop Sale' directive.
The ban currently applies to all single burner butane cookers. Certain double burner models are also included.

What if it's Not on the List?

The list only includes models that are currently available.
This does NOT mean that older models are any safer. NSW Fair Trading recommends that you stop using older models, as well.

Butane Stove Explosion Video

http://www.elgas.com.au/blog/1419-nsw-bans-portable-butane-stove-cookers-lunchbox-cookers

UNCERTIFIED PRODUCTS DONT USE

check link

https://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1069239

I think there have also been some 'mental giants' out there placing two single butane cookers together (side by side) and using one large hotplate to cover both burners. And from what i've heard this has resulted in the butane cartridges exploding due i imagine to overheating.

Where can I find this notification please. ?
I had a quick look around but can only find the information as to when the safety
alert's were first released.

This is the link to Dept Fair trading.
I just rang them and the cookers on this list are BANNED.
I have two of them and they are about to have a hammer put through them . :mad:
Campmaster CM2270
Auscrown AD90
The Link,
http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/Consumers/Product_and_service_safety/Lunchbox_cookers.page?
The banned list,

Home Essentials BDZ-168
Home Essentials BDZ-163S
Red Stone N/A
Bai Hui Portable Camping Stove N/A
My Collection N/A
Five Star MS-2000
Gasmate Plus MS-2000
Gasmate BC1080
Gasmaster BC1080
Jumbuck BC1080
Jackeroo BC1080
Excalibur BC1080
Gasmate PC1070
Gasmate (Double Burner) PC2080
Campmaster CM2200S
Campmaster (Double Burner) CM2250
Oztrail OZ2160
Campmaster CM2270
Auscrown AD90
Adventuridge 509245
Companion COMP523
House Brand 509245
Kookaburra ST0990
Primus 2240
Primus 2271
Primus TLB-102L
Red Desert 509230
Spinifex 7027612
Spinifex 90024574
Jackeroo PL-121
Illusion (Double Burner) UBute

Spread the word as much as possible Cobber.
Can I ask for a link back to this topic in this forum. :D :D :D :D
I seen there could be a misconception that it was the cartridges at fault and
the issue had been resolved.
I rang them as stated to clarify and this is the out come.
I hope that we have saved someone from being seriously hurt if not killed
I will make this a sticky for a few weeks to get the message across.
Thanks to Jembaicumbene for raising this issue again.

Well i just checked my butane cookers and three of them have to be ditched, bugga :(

I was given a Primus dual gas burner when Mum moved into a retirement village.
I think I will give them a huge miss.
Just have to work out how to carry a bottle of LPG. :D

I brought my campmaster cm2270 a couple of months ago ,will that be ok as I got it at local rays outdoors but have thrown away receipt

i had one come through my shop, couldn't find the model number on the list at the time but after a little more research seen it was a recall model so just please be careful guys, i like you all to much as friends to see something bad happen to you all

Just checked mine gasmate pc 1070,purchased at Bunnings.Dissapointing,it's a very handy little stove.

Eldorado said:
Just checked mine gasmate pc 1070,purchased at Kmart.Dissapointing,it's a very handy little stove.

yep indeed they are more so this time of year ..........but!

Just sent an email to gasmate asking how am I supposed to be reimbursed for buying there inferior product without proof of purchase or recall? BTW I purchased it at Bunnings not Kmart as previously stated.

I had a gasmate badged one and was happy to ditch it when the alert went out because my experience was if you didn't disengage the gas canister after your trip when you packed it away when you next came to use the stove the canister would be empty - no comment is needed on the dangers associated with leaking gas.

Anyway for camping in the chilly Victorian highcountry where i am regular LPG is more efficient than the propane / butane blend in the lunchbox stove canisters....

casper

Latest posts