Bunnings Tile Saws

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can any one shed any light on these saws please

https://www.bunnings.com.au/qep-600w-master-cut-tile-saw_p6654641

1588132516_tile_saw.jpg

Yep I know you only get what you pay for but atm I have to buy cheap :/ but for the price are they any good?

I think I could make an adapted plate with a narrower slot for the blade ok but can you get better/thinner blades and if so where ?

When I use to work there I worked in tool shop

I would tell people that it is OK as long as you don't push them to hard as they are only a hone reno not building sites use

Goody

xcvator, exactly as Goody said, let them do the work, I have one and it was used during renovating a bathroom, en-suite, toilet and retailing the kitchen.
Make sure when you have finished with it you give it a good clean.

Keith what are you trying to cut, a few tiles or are you going back into business. Just grab a diamond blade for your 4 or 5 inch angle grinder they do a great job and cut really well. Or are you wanting to cut rocks if it's rocks and on an occasional basis I'd still use the grinder so long as you can secure the rock, just don't attempt to cut completely through the rock, 80% to 90% then break it with a cold chisel.

I also looked at these recently for cutting rocks for faceting. I have no expertise in this area but what put me off a bit was that the blades provided were thick & would waste a lot of stone.

As part of my research I also noticed that Aussie Sapphire had a 4" Lapidary saw for $140.

I'm looking to cut smallish stones/rocks into slices for cabbing, not going to try and use an angle grinder to do that. I'm a bit attached to my fingers. That's why I'm asking about the Bunnings saw

Yes, a Tile saw is a good way to cut stones for what you want... You can change the blades over to Lapidary blades and can use up to 7" blades in some, just make sure both use the same size arbour.. You can also turn them into a 'Wet' saw as well with a few 'Ice-cream container' 'Splash Guards' added...
Some users also cut a narrower slot in a piece of thin alloy plate and bolt it down to close up the gap around the saw blade... Stops Fingers or stones getting stuck and bending your Lapidary blade... :money:

Aussie Sapphire also sell a Modified Tile saw with a larger lapidary blade for around $200 ....

Whatever you choose, Make sure you use your PPE when cutting... ;)

LW....

What is shown is a trim saw, way different to a slab saw. The tile saw shown is fine for trimming small pieces of stone as long as a thin sintered diamond blade is used, which are relatively inexpensive as long as they are kept clean and unclogged. Using the blade on corundum or harder stones like jade is going to wear your sinter down fairly quickly.
Do not force not force your stone through, allow the blade to cut at a fast rate using plenty of either mineral oil and/or CRC in water (stops the blades from rusting).
Aussie Sapphire . com is useful for these blades.