Building a large capacity High-banker - Instructional video

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no offense guys but i recon the walbanker is over rated, sorry wal

i cant find any pics of my sluice in action only a post built one, but it is a conventional type high banker

riffles are 1-10 spaced 10 x the riffle hight for spacing, ali mesh underneath the riffles, miners moss under ali mesh then ribbed rubber on the bottom,

a friend and i were working the same ground he had a walbanker built to spec and i had my sluice pictured

i caught lots more gold than he did, it seemed the wall banker was blowing pickers out the back,

and before everyone chimes in and says the water flow must of been wrong, it was done exactly as instructed, the ground was gravel with lots of sand

i believe the wal banker loses stuff from the start with the cat walk grizzly set up thingy,

the bread crate riffle are a awesome idea tho for fines will defiantly be using it on my next build,

i still think the wall banker needs some decent sized riffles to catch larger nuggets and gems, i know it is suppose to be caught on the first classifier cat walk thing,

but if your by yourself u cant sort and shovel at the same time??
1419377642_sluice.jpg

i tried that orange plastic bread crate in my first one too but soon moved towards engineering principles

Wal does have lots of experience which i tip my hat to him for , however its easy when we are newcomers to throw too much blind support on something so that it ends up looking very much like viral marketing sploog :8

CreviceSucker said:
i tried that orange plastic bread crate in my first one too but soon moved towards engineering principles

Wal does have lots of experience which i tip my hat to him for , however its easy when we are newcomers to throw too much blind support on something so that it ends up looking very much like viral marketing sploog :8

The beauty of prospecting equipment and the theory their based on is a personal choice, based on known engineering and personal experience on their variations in the field. The problem with many high bankers built by newcomers to the hobby, is they are not always built to the specifications of the original bankers they try to copy, and as such do not work the same as the the original concepts.

I've seen heaps of Walbankers built by beginners and have had to point out numerous floors in their setups to the users. Those that are correctly set up work extremely well. Those built similar in "looks" to a Walbanker without the correct crate cutouts, slick plates, expanded mesh ratios, (Whether sloped or vertical sided), will always work as a compromise, and many I've seen will not work efficiently at all. :(

You can easily make a VW Beetle look like a Porsche....but that doesn't mean it will handle like one. ;) Have you tried your sluice against a commercially bought Walbanker..????. If you have then I will take your criticism on board, and would love to have you bring your banker along to one of our outings for a side by side comparison. More than willing to video both bankers in use and show the results on the forum. Actually would love you to accept this offer even without an outing, as you may not have even seen a correctly set up Walbanker in use. Please let me know if you are interested.

At the end of the day there are many versions of bankers out there that work extremely well. Choose the one that suits your area best and be happy in your "own" mind that you're catching all the gold. I chose my version as it has produced a substantial amount of gold for me personally, and I've tried quite a lot of bankers in the past 50 odd years chasing the gold.

To suggest it looks like a viral marketing sploog... :eek: , sparks some interest to me, as this sort of viewpoint is usually only noted by people with some sort of personal insecurity.....but I could be wrong. :/

Cheers Wal.

I think the point made its a valid one. Like for like testing would be indicative of performance. The Clarkson report to me has many details but the important part is with simple modifications to existing principles can dramatically improve the outcome in recovery. I would like to think someone who has been a serious prospector and dredger for many years might have a few design concepts that are pretty well sound. Let's not forget the design is offered here on pa step by step and for free. That is a pretty good deal.

I don't like broad statements and I think if critiques are made it would be insightful as to what is specifically being discussed. Judge if you may but judge fairly and with balance. It's not the easiest thing in the world to build something from scratch, nor share it under the scrutiny it gets subjected to from any number of prospectors, who's experience, areas, and abilities all vary widely.

I've never built a walbanker, only used one once. I can't weigh up its pros and cons based on thatalone, but I have used some of it design principles. No matter what you build you will essentially have very similar principles to contend with, and design may vary, bit my conclusion is nearly every detail has been thought through and executed soundly. As I already said dig into the detail a little more, at least out of respect.

chemstar said:
has anyone else compared the walbanker to other types of set ups before on the same ground?

Yep.

You did..you already said so.

I would love to see a head to head against Wal and his banker though.
I do not think young Wal would bother with a bit of kit that under performs after all his years of fossicking.

CreviceSucker said:

Engineering principles you say?

Maybe something to do with creating eddies and vortexes in a water flow.
Something that orange bit of bread crate will do if cut in the right pattern.

but....each to their own....some drive a Bentley to drive to the corner store..others will ride a pushbike...in the end...as long as you get what your looking for....
All is good

Horse said:
chemstar said:
has anyone else compared the walbanker to other types of set ups before on the same ground?

Yep.

I do not think young Wal would bother with a bit of kit that under performs after all his years of fossicking.

has anyone else

chemstar said:
Horse said:
chemstar said:

Yep.

has anyone else

Ok fair enough...I suppose a few of the guys and gals have had walbankers at different outings and will be able to shed some light for you .

A side by side face off between two different bankers in a creek would simply be a waste of time, unless you could undoubtably guarantee that the exact same sized and number of gold and or gems was coming up in each shovel load!
A true test would be 1 tonne of dirt, not a cubic meter, with the exact same type of dirt which was holding the exact same amount (down to the sub gram) of gold, then I would suggest that you not even peer into the sluice boxes until you have panned every speck of dirt that has come out the end of the bankers, and to the one who has the least amount of gold in they're waste, then and only then would you be able to declare a winner.
Last I checked this wasn't "bash a banker" thread, it pizzes me off to a means of no end to read on this forum where others feel the need to get on and knock other people's designs and builds, it's hard work design building bankers and other processing machines and a lot of pride goes into them, and I seriously doubt the day will ever come when the 100% perfect machine will ever hit the market.
I want to read about people's efforts in builds and finds, I couldn't be assed with reading about who's is better than who's, if you want to do that, start up another section, in that way it would be easy for us to simply glide past the wangs and measuring tapes.
Let's get back on topic hey, this thread states "building a large capacity high banker" not "mines better than yours" :|

Look I'm not bashing a banker,

it seems the wal banker is the bench mark around here but no one has ever questioned it.

I don't want to discredit any further

but I would love someone to prove without doubt that the Wal banker is a better rig than most as it is portraid

As mentioned above votices are a major factor but yet the walbanker creates small vortices compared to say larger riffles,

Imo the Wal banker sluice section is perfect for a dredge set up but it's not being used with a dredge

Iv read and read about the Wal banker but no one has ever addressed these issues

I would love nothing more than someone to prove me wrong instead of saying Wal is an expert the wal banker is is a great rig and that is that,

No one has really explained why it is so good???

Walbankers are the next best thing to a pulsator for gemstones, we ran about 1 metre through Reeko's a few weeks back and there were over 50 small sapphires in it, we sieved the tailings and there was not 1 gemstone in there. I think they are the Swiss Army knife of highbankers.

chemstar said:
No one has really explained why it is so good???

The fluid bed 1mm gap underneath the expanded mesh is 1 reason why, it's quite ingenious actually, it will create slight upward pressure, enough to get rid of lighter materials and let sapphires settle to the bottom, just needs a bit of a shake now and then to help it along.

What works for Gold won't necessarily work for gemstones. Walbankers are proven as working very well for both, you won't see many upset owners who have built it right.

G'day Chemstar....I didn't even waste my time responding to your original post, as when you stated the banker was blowing "Pickers", :eek: (which are small nuggets) out the back, I soon realized the banker you was comparing had no place on a gold field at all, as to blow "Pickers" out the back you must have had NO riffles at all in the banker, or had it set up akin to a ski jump. :|

We have had several outings on this forum with a large number of bankers present working the same gravels, including standard lazy "L" riffles like yours, Modified Clarkson combinations, Straight Expanded only over Miners Moss like in "Gold Rush Alaskas" mega sluices, and some other pretty innovative concepts. None of these sluices "Blew Pickers" over the back. ;)

You say the Walbanker creates "Small" vortex's, yet the expanded at 1.6mm high and the the Crate at 1cm high, when combined in relation to the the width and length of the banker, creates a vortex that works optimally for a unit of that size. You say a larger riffle creates a bigger vortex...well that is quite an obvious statement...but it also needs a significantly larger volume of water pressure to clear it as well.

It's all about balance, and I don't want to get into a lecture with you about Hydraulic Engineering, as I feel confident that much of the conversation would go over your head, so I'll leave it at....you use what suits you best, and I'll use what has proven successful to me over a very long period of time. Happy High banking and may the gold clog your sluice. :)

Cheers Wal.

cheers wall but i would actually love it if you went into depth with each section of your sluice, not being a smart ass but i would love to know the theory behind it

and use it in my build im doing now, the only reason i brought this up is because i wanted to do a combination of the wall banker and conventional banker, and have been reading up on ur banker but not being able to find the method in the madness so to speak

u say 1.6mm expanded makes a 10mm vortex, so then would a riffle with a height of 15mm would make a vortex of???

so wouldn't we want larger vortexes for larger gems/gold ?

its just that ur sluice goes against all theory about riffles where more is best ie vortex wise

Ok so iv been thinking, I'll start a new thread

Mods ur welcome to delete my posts from here if deemed irrelevant

I'll test several sluices with perspex sides and a slow motion camera
and exact amounts of colour and gems put through each

That will put everything to rest,

This way is better than putting the same amount of pay dirt through each then panning concentrate

We will be able to see the affects of each in real time and if I'm wrong im more than happy to eat my hat ?

I'll start the thread in the diy section, if anyone wants a particular rig to be tested post specs for it there

So far I'll test

The walbanker, my set up which is very common world wide and whatever other set ups people come up with

Where do I say 1.6mm expanded makes a 10mm vortex..???. :/ . I will let you go through the experience and technical cycles involved in your own experiments, as I've been there and done that myself to achieve the unit that suits me best. Please do not bother asking me for advice on riffle design, vortex actions or flow rates, as these are things best worked out by your own experiments. Best of luck with your future super sluice, and I wish you well with it. ;)

Cheers Wal.

It is OK for one to have an opinion but to bring into serious repute a design that has been developed over time and given away for free does not go down very well for me.
I have a lot of personal respect for Wal (And Liz) for what he has given to one and all and He has done it with out asking any thing at all.
Now I have met them in person that I hope will continue on as a life time friendship.
I built a Walbanker my self right down to all measurements exactly then tested it with "Salted" wash of 3 types.
In each and every test the unit performed above what I would expect of it.
but. :)
I made a few personal improvements as you can see in some of my post's and I am very happy with what I have got.
One of those improvements is a very carefully designed riffle section that drops in place of the "Bread crate" section and I proved that at Oallen Forde it works very well.
The banker is a very brilliant design based on a horizontal simple laminar water column .
So What.
In respect for Wal, These bankers for a new chum will work to catch what you want off the bench, And do it very well.
What you have is a very well engineered piece of equipment that will not disappoint you.
If you want to change the design for what you want or think will work for you well just go ahead and do it and be happy.
Learning is a great experience that we all can enjoy doing.
Merry Christmas and see you all soon again. I am starting to get withdrawal symptoms. LOL
Doug

Latest posts