Brisbane Ranges National Park Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm heading out to Meredith for work tomorrow and thought I might try out my new gold monster in the Brisbane rangers Yankee Gully area. Has anyone had any luck around this area?

Not familiar with the area, though been a National Park I don't think its permissible to prospect there.
As far as I know only a very short section of Sutherlands creek has an area where gold panning is permitted, near Steglitz.

Best look at other options.

Hi everyone, I'm heading out to Meredith for work tomorrow and thought I might try out my new gold monster in the Brisbane rangers Yankee Gully area. Has anyone had any luck around this area?
You know if there are dried creek or riverbeds near Brisbane

Parks Victoria lists Steiglitz Historic Park as a permitted area and their website sppecifically on the park says " Enjoy a pleasant bushwalk, relax with a picnic or pan for gold", although I think that is a small part of the park near the road bridge, not all of it.

Irrelevant anyway because to the best of my knowledge a major part of Yankee Gully is entirely outside the park. Light green is the National Park, dark green is the historical park. Ask the ranger - the one there when we drilled the area for gold adjoining the park was friendly and not hostile to prospectors. However the area not in the park is farmland from memory, and may belong to a farmer that I am told is very hostile to prospectors (not sure, he lives on the road).

1653459317683.png

Juat clarifying that - I don't know the answer to your question but hope this encourages others to reply..

All I can find on Steiglitz:
Gold panning is limited to a 1km stretch of creek downstream from the bridge.
It's a Historic Park so anything else appears to be a no go.

Except for the private land farther upstream from that point - that I suspect you would have Buckleys chance of prospecting.

I know this is an older thread but for future reference maybe think about Dollys Creek at Morrisons a bit further north of Steiglitz.
I agree - much better for detecting but not great for alluvial. Small nuggets to 1 oz plus.

Latest posts