Brave Dr David Goodall will end his life at 104 !

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What upsets me is he had to go to Switzerland , our gutless politicians keep stuffing around with the right of choice regarding assisted euthanasia .

Some of us will cop a long painful period before dying , we should be given the option of final exit before that .
Why allow such suffering ? this has always frustrated me .

jack

I will share that my Mother passed away about 20 years ago from cancer, she was lucky to be in Holland where she lived most of her life after she had lived in Australia for over 30 Years but wanted to live out her days in her homeland. The Dutch are very liberated when it comes to ending your own life if you have a terminal illness, she had a 3 way morphine injector at the side of her bed A:to ease pain, B:if she wanted to sleep or C:controled safety release under supervision to say goodbye. She knew very well and was very aware of what she was doing and in her heart knew what was best for her. We all sometimes think why but in the end we know when its time to go.
I for one support it and when my time comes I can only hope the our government wont stop me, we all have a right to die.

John.

One must live the time one is in, it takes a brave resolute soul to leap forth and change the world within their time.... one must gather first insight and knowledge, or thrust forward with brute force giving their all and more in such a way that fulfills their course.... even in death... or with their death.
A man of science.... I salute you !
8) :brokenh: :rainbow:

There are two things I would like to see happen in Australia, people given the ability to end their life with dignity and the opt out rather than opt in system for organ donations.
Why was this man and many others forced to travel to end their lives with dignity and care.

A man of sound mind with the strength and courage to take control of the next step in his life :Y:
Strange how many times if it was an animal suffering, then it would be put down for humane reasons, but a human ............. is exempt from what's humane :(

I have been an advocate for volunteer euthanasia for the terminally ill for decades, but I have changed my stance on it several years ago. I now believe that euthanasia should be available to ANYBODY for ANY REASON! The only criterion I would place is a minimum age restriction of about 21 years, reason being, that some young people may not have enough life experiences to make an informed decision and consider trivial upsets in their lives as being catastrophic.

My reasoning is that there are many people committing (and attempting) suicide in some horrific ways which leaves many unassociated people affected. The people finding the body, the people having to attend to the body, and in some cases truck drivers or train drivers being inadvertently involved. All unnecessary and causing trauma to everybody involved.

I think that if a person wants to go, he should be able to go to a trained physician and ask for assistance. At THAT POINT it would be a great opportunity for the physician to offer whatever help may be available to resolve the persons anguish without resorting to their death, however if they decline, methods should be provided for a peaceful and dignified way to go.

If a person is serious about going, they will choose whatever method is available.

Anolphart, had that discussion just this morning at hospital around suicides in the elderly etc and our communities hesitation to discuss it.

Anolphart said:
I have been an advocate for volunteer euthanasia for the terminally ill for decades, but I have changed my stance on it several years ago. I now believe that euthanasia should be available to ANYBODY for ANY REASON! The only criterion I would place is a minimum age restriction of about 21 years, reason being, that some young people may not have enough life experiences to make an informed decision and consider trivial upsets in their lives as being catastrophic.

My reasoning is that there are many people committing (and attempting) suicide in some horrific ways which leaves many unassociated people affected. The people finding the body, the people having to attend to the body, and in some cases truck drivers or train drivers being inadvertently involved. All unnecessary and causing trauma to everybody involved.

I think that if a person wants to go, he should be able to go to a trained physician and ask for assistance. At THAT POINT it would be a great opportunity for the physician to offer whatever help may be available to resolve the persons anguish without resorting to their death, however if they decline, methods should be provided for a peaceful and dignified way to go.

If a person is serious about going, they will choose whatever method is available.

And it doesn't stop in a couple of days for those left behind either 8.(

I have like many sadly experienced a suicide in the family and I can tell you 20 years later some members of my family are still feeling it's effects. There are many immediate emotions around suicide and it can take some time to work thru.
I also know that people are very inventive when it comes to ways to end their lives, the end result for most is not pretty and causes immense emotional trauma for the person who finds them. As a society it needs to be discussed more freely in an effort to assist those contemplating ending their life.

My main worry about this is when it is something authorised and controlled by a government and they call it voluntary it will like all other such voluntary actions soon become compulsory. For the terminally ill it may be one solution and goodness knows that doctors have been doing this for ages, but when as in some places you can top yourself because the internet broke or some such thing I think its is going too far. But my main worry is government control. It has been so long ago that a nation did this. Removing people who were different or a bit slow or the wrong race.

Araluen

Latest posts