Brand New To Prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am new to prospecting, having wanted to do it for many years now, and have now decided to make an effort to get it done. Currently searching for the best equipment to get started with so I can ensure I have success in making this a long term hobby that will allow me to enjoy this beautiful country, with the added benefit of some nice rewards.

Any advice will be welcomed as I know I have an enormous amount to learn...

So if you have any thoughts, please feel free to share them.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
I am not new to detecting and not to prospecting (anymore) - it is very simple: you might have the best equipment, but it is the right ground you have to on to find something. Depending on your area things may be slightly different but what all areas have in common is, that you can try out places where the oldtimers or all other prospectors have already found something or you learn to read the ground or landscape and go a bit further to find it there - after all: "gold is where you find it".

Old workings have much more junk like rusty metal compared to the areas in between. A gully or creek will have more of the good and the bad stuff, as it just collects everything in that deeper section.

If you start wandering around, find yourself moving faster, until you find the first bit and then reduce your speed, as you have found a spot. Why should there not be more where you have found one piece - and it will not have moved upwards but downwards - so where did it come from or how did it get there?

If you find a piece of gold, look how it looks like: smooth or prickly - that might tell you that it has traveled further or not so far and usually it will not be so far - more like meters (instead of kilometers). Faultlines and hills are always very interesting - there is a pinned topic that gives ideas what to look for - you should or will have already read that.

Latest posts