Bounty Hunter Red Baron

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJB

matt
Reaction score
Hi all,

An ad in the local paper this morning has a metal detector for sale so I ring the guy up and says its a Bounty Hunter Red Baron and is asking $350. I have never heard of this detector before and was thinking if it was worth getting as a first detector. So the question is are they any good and if so what would be a suitable price? It sounds a bit old, he has had it for 5 years and was second hand when he got it. I can't help but think $350 is a bit steep.

Any advice is appreciated,

Cheers,
Matt

I wouldn't buy it as a first detector, it is old, and who knows what condition. It was built by bounty hunter before Teknetics took them over, you are better off sinking your money into something more modern, like an Ace 250 or 350, Tesoro Silver Umax or a Fisher F2. The $350 asking price is a bit steep for use as an everyday detector, moreso as a collectable.

Thanks for the feedback Goldpick,

I thought it did not sound right, I would rather get a Jack Lange Special...its in my price range until I find more yellow to afford something more expensive..

Sorry about the Avatar :D

Cheers,
Matt

I would be looking for Gold mostly, at the moment I do not have much interest in relics etc. In reallity I probably could not spend much over $500 which I do realise is a bit limited when it comes to detectors. Since I am so far from any decent gold fields I can't warrant a larger outlay to SWAMBO.

Cheers,
Matt

Hey matt,
just reading through and i know you mentioned ya budget mate.
Id seriously consider an SD2100.
yes they are more expensive but well worth the time saving for one.
i have found many bits with mine, although recently i sold it to get a drywasher.
but my avatar is a 6.5gm nug found close to ballarat and in the same ground gone over by countless machines.
im not a one brand guy, more over if it works, its worth owning!
its only my opinion but to pay a bit more now can save a big amount of dissapointment later :)

KoD

back on the topic.
ill be buying a bounty hunter, red barron tomorrow.
ill use it around my dry wash piles for bigger bits and get it looked it for minor enhancement :)

Have a look at tesoro brand there's heap of options around the $500 and great reviews otherwise a S/h Whites GMT iv seen for. $600

Thanks for the advice guys, I will definitley look into the SD2100. KOD, that avatar nug is a beauty and can only dream of getting something like that. How old are the red barons? I would be interested to know how yours goes.

Cheers,
Matt

Any antiquities experts here ?

Do people collect the old detectors ?

A friends mum found an immaculate Bounty Hunter Red Baron still in the box unused in her dads shed.

are they worth anything to collectors ?

I know its not exactly a stash of gold in an egyptian tomb but she could use the dollars right now

Red Baron was one of the first motion detectors I bought one when they first hit the market, and one weird quirk was that the faster you swing the deeper it would go too up to maybe 6" on coins. For the time it was awesome I got handfuls of silver coins with it when this machine came out, since it was a depth improvement over the old TR vlf detectors. But soon after this machine, slow motion swing capability came to be after this machine with lots more depth, and now that evens out most vlfs. Now days its a shallow depth machine compared to the flagship vlf models.

Latest posts