Bombs and Bullets UXO

Wishfull

Peter Johnson
Joined
Apr 27, 2016
Messages
3,807
Reaction score
5,323
Location
Yorke Peninsla S.A., SA
7.62marksman said:
nothing better then the smell of cordite in the morning air
love things with big bangs like that

Or this..one word edited

Smell that? You smell that? Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didnt find one of em, not one stinkin d%@# body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like Victory. Someday this wars gonna end
 
Joined
May 3, 2016
Messages
3,316
Reaction score
6,463
Location
Roaming, WA
Wishfull said:
7.62marksman said:
nothing better then the smell of cordite in the morning air
love things with big bangs like that

Or this..one word edited

Smell that? You smell that? Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didnt find one of em, not one stinkin d%@# body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like Victory. Someday this wars gonna end

Apocalypse Now, just can't miss watching a movie like that. :Y: :Y: :Y:

Cheers

Doug
 
Joined
Dec 25, 2017
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
While I can understand some areas around Darwin will have uxo, what are the likelihood of finding something in Victoria? I have always assumed mostly you'd find shotgun pellets and casings and a spent bullets and casings for rim-fire or center-fire, but rarely an intact bullets.
 
Joined
May 3, 2016
Messages
3,316
Reaction score
6,463
Location
Roaming, WA
Hey Boxtwin2,

Expect to find parts of or complete smalls arms ammunition and even uxo at any past or present military training areas anywhere in Australia. Even areas that were not gazetted as training areas.

Cheers

Doug
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2018
Messages
793
Reaction score
840
Location
, VIC
Rockhunter62 said:
Hey Boxtwin2,

Expect to find parts of or complete smalls arms ammunition and even uxo at any past or present military training areas anywhere in Australia. Even areas that were not gazetted as training areas.

Cheers

Doug

Yes , old war sites

a guy I detected with often found a hand grenade on an old WW2 site in Qld

I have also read a thread of a Detectorist whom hunts are mostly WW sites in Qld and there are pictures of Ordnance found
 
Joined
Nov 20, 2016
Messages
158
Reaction score
404
Yep,theres an army base outer Melbourne rumoured to have old WW1 weapons buried down the back of the barracks.Buried after the war.
Old lee Enfield 303s,that sort of thing I would of thought.
 
Joined
Apr 5, 2016
Messages
5,701
Reaction score
10,431
Some may not believe but I found a live mortar in my back yard in the early 80s as well as over 50 live 50cal rounds...kept them for years..threw the mortar to mates at parties for a joke..then mum found it and called the cops ...who called the army .....they sectioned of the street and said it was live..holly [email protected]#k I said..as they took it away. :eek: :Y: ]:D ]:D
 
Joined
Nov 20, 2016
Messages
158
Reaction score
404
Haha what a story Smokey.
Its the party trick that could of been a disaster but because it wasnt now its a pissa of a tale
 
Joined
Mar 10, 2016
Messages
7,529
Reaction score
14,585
Smoky bandit said:
Some may not believe but I found a live mortar in my back yard in the early 80s as well as over 50 live 50cal rounds...kept them for years..threw the mortar to mates at parties for a joke..then mum found it and called the cops ...who called the army .....they sectioned of the street and said it was live..holly [email protected]#k I said..as they took it away. :eek: :Y: ]:D ]:D

What a good mum :Y: lucky mum had some sense :lol:.
 
Joined
Apr 5, 2016
Messages
5,701
Reaction score
10,431
Yes it would have taken out everyone at the party..And it was thrown around more than once...we laugh about it now though. :Y: :eek:
 
Joined
May 3, 2016
Messages
3,316
Reaction score
6,463
Location
Roaming, WA
Had a similar thing happen to me in Laos years ago. We were clearing an area of uxo so a Vietnamese crew could blast and crush gravel. Just standing there looking at a couple of detonator leads (unshorted) sticking out of the ground when the Vietnamese crew came over to tell me that the det was safe as it would not fire. One of the workers went to put a normal multimeter onto the leads to show me. :N: I grabbed the multimeter and threw it onto the rocks and broke it. :mad: Another of their workers came wandering over with an unexploded bomblet in his hands. 8) Told him to go and place it back on the ground a reasonable distance from me just in case it went off when he put it down.

Closed the site down for the day, had the Vietnamese crew removed from site and organised the company bosses to try and educate the Vietnamese in the safe way of handling and using explosives. I was not liked and was forced to look over my shoulder after that incident. :(

That was just one story of many in my travels overeseas playing with explosives.

Cheers

Doug
 

Latest posts

Top