Big Ks on Diesel Landcruiser

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all , Ive been looking around for an oldish Landcruiser some have massive Ks as Ive seen some with 500,000kms +Does anyone know how many ks you would get out of one? How much is too much? and what to look out for good and bad.out to spend about 12k if I get 20 or 30 thousand ks out of it id be happy. Cheers in advance for any help. :Y: :Y:

The place where I get work done on my 80 series which has 568000ks on the clock
Have told me of an 80 series that has more than a million ks on the clock
With regular oil and filter changes every 5 or 10000 ks there is no reason the motor wont last

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Dad got 869000 out of his hj75 and never touched the engine, had to rebuild the transfer case and gearbox at around 600k. I've got a 1hd-fte cruiser with 450k on it that's only ever had a clutch and and a diff(arb locker) rebuild and still runs like new.

In the past 25 years I've had a '60 series with 2H Diesel and 400+ k's, '75 series Troopy with 2H turbo and 400+ K's, HZJ 79R series Ute with 1HD-FTE with 245,000 K's and currently own a 100 series Sahara with 4.7 V8 petrol with 290,000 K's

Great vehicles and yes the key is regular servicing, I would service my diesels at 5,000 intervals (oil and filters) and my current petrol is done every 10,000.
Couldn't imagine owning anything else.

Yep service intervals are crucial. Been a diesel mechanic for 20+ years and the big end bearings are the first thing that will kill a Toyota engine if it doesn't get regular oil changes.

I got 200k on my Suzuki sv1000.
Travel 700klm every week to work and it's still going strong.
Service every 5000k without fail.
Regular service is the key to a good engine but its everything else that wears out that can be a headache.

seen the HJ series regularly up over 600k on untouched donks. Oil and all filters done religiously. Company desert whoopies, had one of the best mechanics Australia ever produced looking after them. We thrashed them like they were stolen!

One time I returned to the yard past the managers office, he came out to see why the right rear was way higher than the rest of the vehicle. Leaf spring shackle flipped its pivot point and locked the spring hard against the chassis... loaded up and airborne over quite a few dunes on my way back to base trying to catch my flight out home. Haha, good ol' days. Trolley jack under its butt and she popped back in place - all good see ya next hitch.. I was gone.

Not hard to rebuild and get another 600k either if you maintain them properly

The carpark up the Cooper Basin in its day would have had easily 1000 4WDs parked up of a night time, majority HJs. At one point Hiluxes, Mavericks and all sorts of other crap started creeping into the carpark, wasnt too long before they all disappeared and where replaced with HJs!

Best 4WD by far!