Best motorhome below $120000?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldpick

Chris Johnson
Reaction score
My partner and I are looking at selling our house and most of our worldly belongings to travel around oz for a long term holiday/work/detecting/get away from the rat race. I'm looking for something that has both washing machine and onboard generator so we are not reliant on outside power. Looking at both new and 2nd hand vehicles considering there are some low mileage vehicles out there used for one trip. :)

This is what you want :D
a-longrv-701307.jpg

Most do not sell their home to buy one... Just borrow against your house, make the payments for a year or two and then sell it on to get the dough back... Some units are way too big to go into most van parks as well.. I would not buy new because far too much money is lost in the first few years... Top line units can be over $450000 and much more.. :)

You need to be careful how big your rig is. Lots of long vans cannot make it across gullies etc in a lot of the goldfields. I paid $52000 for mine and am extremely happy. It has a shower and toilet, and we have a generator. I find vans better as you don't have to pack up camp every time you want to drive somewhere and it also allows you to have a 4wd. Mine is the smallest model I could find with a shower and toilet, which helps us get to lots of spots most vans can't get into.
Here are some pics.

73eac01a9e8f5269a46d305851735585.jpg

wagoldrush001Small.jpg

1stLegMilparinka054Small.jpg

Little portable washing machine too.

b4c2cc4c2a91ca449670b14bc5c63459.jpg

DD

A van and 4WD certainly have their advantages, looks to be cheaper going down that route, even with a reasonably expensive caravan. I guess another option is to tow a little suzuki jimny or something similar. Another reason for selling up is the lack of work in the mining industry here in SA, there is not much going on compared to WA and QLD, so selling the house is no big loss. SA currently has one of the worse unemployment in Oz, and it is only getting worse, just wait till Holden shuts up shop. :rolleyes:

We have a mid wheelbase 4WD Mercedes Sprinter which is just under 6mtrs. We've been happy with that size for about 5 years and have done a fair bit of travelling, the last for 3 months. It has double bed with heaps of storage under, inside & outside shower, cassette toilet, 131ltr fridge with good freezer, 40ltr, so you don't have to take an Engel or the like which drags power from the solar panels. Ours has 2 x 125w panels and 2 x 120AH batteries which drives everything and we have never had the need for a generator. We have swivel seats so can eat in if the weather is bad. We always seem to mainly be outside where we can cook on a campfire if it's ok to do so, or use a gas cooker, or the Weber BabyQ. We carry a couple of tables, chairs, have heaps of room for clothes in above lockers and drawers for food or whatever. The size is convenient because we go off road and can also park easily when shopping. Long vehicles get hung up easily.We always use a laundromat and they're in most towns. Packing up is no problem if we decide to move as the awning is rolled in, table and chairs put in and whatever else stowed safely for driving. We have everything set up for TV if we want it, use the computer if the service is ok (a lot of the country has little or none) and have a sat phone for emergency. We carry 120ltr of water and some extra and because we live with tank water at home, we have never had a problem running out.

These are just a few thoughts. We started out with a young family using a tent, and have had a Hi Ace campervan and caravans. When family left home we used a Landcruiser traytop with canvas canopy, very comfortable, have as well a Hi Lux 4x4 with slideon, and have had a LWB Mercedes Sprinter. There are a lot of good vehicles/motorhomes/built-ons etc. for well below your price range depending on your needs.

Slide on Campers look ok as well (they sell for about 25-30k)
1384042921_camper.jpg

1384042951_camper-2-resized640x480.jpg

1384042984_travel_lite_770p.jpg

I have a Supreme getaway caravan built in Melbourne great off road unit, solar panels, batteries, gas hot water system, outside shower, air-conditioned rev cycle built in unit. Handles well on road and off road great clearance for creek crossings was priced at $42,000 back in 2005

I have to please the missus, and it looks to be a long term thing, so we will require some creature comforts to keep us going - a home away from home as such. The slide on campers are great, but a bit small for my liking. I'm thinking being self sufficient, seperate toilet/shower, decent double bed or separate beds, decent caoacity regarding power/water/grey water and decent amount of storage. A lot of the stops might be medium term, so won't be shifting all too often, plus a zook on a tow hitch sounds good.

Makes for peaceful travelling if everyone is happy!! We're retired and our next trip will hopefully be for 5/6 months and the Merc will be good. We have never needed to connect to power as we are totally self sufficient and free camp. We've met lots of people permanently on the road, eg retired, working part time. We've spent a fair bit of time around mining areas too. A couple we met recently had been on the road for 7 years and had a medium size motorhome which they both thought was great but they didn't need a second vehicle. Two other couples who did a lot of detecting had a 4WD, the back of one was packed with generator, tools, extra fridge (Engel) and more and both towed a medium van. We have friends who are on the road 6 months of the year in a Hino.

It's all very interesting the way different people are set up and talking about their different ideas and needs. You could have a look at the CMCA website for all types of vehicles being sold privately, some with one on the hook. Talk to people who have been travelling. If you buy through a dealer, the sales person doesn't always have the experience of travelling and is just out to get a sale. By the way CMCA insurance and benefits is A1.

I wish I had your problem with the funds. I kinda do but only happens between 10 and 4 am. Maybe try going to caravaning and motor home shows.

It's more of a change of lifestyle, am sick of the regular daily grind, feels like ground hog day for the last several years, something I want to break away from so I can start "living" again. I don't have the funds as such to do this, selling the house is the only way to make this happen unfortunately, but I think it is for the better. :)

Diggerdude said:
You need to be careful how big your rig is. Lots of long vans cannot make it across gullies etc in a lot of the goldfields. I paid $52000 for mine and am extremely happy. It has a shower and toilet, and we have a generator. I find vans better as you don't have to pack up camp every time you want to drive somewhere and it also allows you to have a 4wd. Mine is the smallest model I could find with a shower and toilet, which helps us get to lots of spots most vans can't get into.
Here are some pics.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g423/diggerdude1/73eac01a9e8f5269a46d305851735585.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g423/diggerdude1/wagoldrush001Small.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g423/diggerdude1/1stLegMilparinka054Small.jpg

Little portable washing machine too.

bulldog said:

At first glance I thought it was a his n hers toilet!!!
:8

Latest posts