Best model twin cab ute

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lee panhead

Lee Martin
Reaction score
G'day guy's & gals , just wanting to know what would be the best year model of Hilux or Navara ?. Thanks.

Navara you get more features for your money
Both run identical injection systems
Both eat clutches.
Post 07 Navara had 140kw pre had 127kw
Post 07 Navara has DPF which isn't short trip friendly.
All hiluxes are built in Thailand
RX and ST Navara are Thai built, STX is Spanish.
YD25 is reported to be a dud but like any product duds get more air time than good, and there is a LOT of high km Navara out there.

(disclaimer : I drive a 07 STX Navara)

1996 toyota hylux 2.8 D toughest heap of $hit money can still buy!
Simple, economical & take you anywhere unfortunately still fetch $10000 for a good one.

lee panhead said:
G'day guy's & gals , just wanting to know what would be the best year model of Hilux or Navara ?. Thanks.

How long is a piece of string?

What do you want to do with it? - 4x4 bushbash? Tow? Tub space? - What do you want in it, all the bells and whistles or plain n simple?
Manual or Automatic? New or 2nd hand and if so how old?

That's before you even look at the Ranger, BT50, Isuzu Colarado and others that might suit better........

Old 2.8 hilux any day off the week and I've owned 3 navara's. My 94 lux is more capable and reliable than any navara I owned.

Hilux from 2006 onwards have 126 kW in the diesel and get a claimed 8.5 litres / 100 km

If you want a cheap place to buy utes then look no further than Western Australia online auctions like Pickles

There are billions of them for sale there and they would probably average $ 5000 cheaper than identical vehicles on the East Coast

I have been quoted $ 1000 - 1200 to bring vehicles from WA to Sydney by Patricks or CEVA.

I just brought an ex fleet 2008 XCab Hilux diesel 4WD yesterday for cheeeep ( 120,000 km )

only thing i recommend is to fit an accessory fuel and water filter on the fuel line as common rails can be easily damaged by contaminated fuel

you will save uteloads of money with the better fuel consumption on the newer diesels

if anybody wanted a tidy old model Xtra cab check this out ; ( new engine ) sorry its not a dual cab

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-Hilux-2000/SSE-AD-2630318/?Cr=20&sdmvc=1

if you buy pre 2006 the hilux diesel has 65 kw and its so slow it takes three weeks to watch 60 minutes

open this link , configure the menu on the left to see what you want and narrow it down to fewer vehicles . its not a bad place to look

sorry the URL was too long but just have a browse on carsales.com

ps if you buy anything at auction just pay someone to do an inspection before you bid . know your price before you go and dont go past it on the day

dont buy vehicles that have been used in underground mines or tunnels coz they will be totally rooooted , and personally i dont want any vehicle thats been driven on outback corrugated roads alot coz the suspension will be hammered

never can and never will compare a Nissan to a Toyota. I have a 2013 and a 2014 Toyota Hi Lux twin can turbo diesel and they are awesome.

Latest posts