Belts and accessories for treasure / coin hunting - what do you use?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is probably old hat for the veterans here but I figured I'd share a handy device I found for attaching tools to my metal detecting belt.

It's a toggle fitting to hang things like digging trowels or pin pointers from. It seems reasonably secure and is quick to re-hitch.

It's sold as a tool belt accessory at tool shops.
https://www.totaltools.com.au/110149-bigglugg-holder-tool-1-bungee-bl2-1bm
Anyone have other handy things like this to share?

20220902_171907.jpg

This is probably old hat for the veterans here but I figured I'd share a handy device I found for attaching tools to my metal detecting belt.

It's a toggle fitting to hang things like digging trowels or pin pointers from. It seems reasonably secure and is quick to re-hitch.

It's sold as a tool belt accessory at tool shops.
https://www.totaltools.com.au/110149-bigglugg-holder-tool-1-bungee-bl2-1bm
Anyone have other handy things like this to share?

View attachment 4128
Those Bigluggs are what is used as the pivot for hipsticks. Very effective in transferring the weight of your detector onto your hip :)
Look at https://www.prospectorspatch.com.au/product/hipstick-large-50/ to give you an idea of how they work.

Probably have a few DD pick holders to give away. Personally I won't carry my pick in belt for if you should fall I'm not to keen on where it could end up. In your hand you can just throw it away from you 🤔
Can recommend this belt from DD Leather, it's width makes it super comfortable for long days.
DD belt.jpg

Last edited:
Have been carrying our picks on our chest since the SD2100 days, no they're not ones with 700mm handles, realistic one for the 99% shallow digs in WA. If a rare deep dig comes along just grab the bigger one in the ute. How prospectors can walk around all day with the pick balancing on their shoulder beats me, how do they keep the flies away? 🤣

Pickcamelback.jpg

Pickcamelback2.jpg

Last edited:
Have been carrying our picks on our chest since the SD2100 days, no they're not ones with 700mm handles, realistic one for the 99% shallow digs in WA. If a rare deep dig comes along just grab the bigger one in the ute. How prospectors can walk around all day with the pick balancing on their shoulder beats me, how do they keep the flies away? 🤣
Easy bloke .......................... but love a dollar for every smack in the head I've given myself 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Comfy looking belt.
Yes it is mate , works for me may not work for others . I changed the belt to a military surplus belt as the one that came with it was crap and got the wife to cut the old belt up and stitch it to the harness so I can run the cable through it to keep it all out the way

Last edited:
Below are some pics up my new set up…

The main improvement is that the belt is easier to adjust, and being padded a bit more comfortable.

The three pouches on the rear are as follows
1) Roll up dump pouch…Used for miscellaneous stuff but can be rolled up out of the way if not needed. It has a waterproof jacket in it at present. The middle pouch is an admin pouch and holds a few spares, battery for pinpointer, small power bank and leads ect. Third pouch holds a small water bottle and has room for something to eat so no need to return to the vehicle for lunch.

Attachments

• 36E8E0C6-0B6F-4524-BC9B-688604324777.jpeg
    36E8E0C6-0B6F-4524-BC9B-688604324777.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • CEC3ACFE-60EA-4EB8-8662-004CCECBDD64.jpeg
    CEC3ACFE-60EA-4EB8-8662-004CCECBDD64.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
The watch and strap are something I put together after being fed up of having to dig my phone out to look at the time.

I had seen similar “carabiner watches” on line, but they were relatively expensive, most were not waterproof, and the reviews generally poor.

Given that a cheap Casio watch is both waterproof and relatively shockproof, I thought I would modify a strap to enable it to clip on my harness:

Attachments

• C6012F37-4F5E-4B73-92A1-14DE7A0EEEB5.jpeg
    C6012F37-4F5E-4B73-92A1-14DE7A0EEEB5.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • EBDA6B50-DEB4-4A87-89B9-EE740C793A35.jpeg
    EBDA6B50-DEB4-4A87-89B9-EE740C793A35.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited: