Be Careful of Mosquitoes

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No ross river does not reacure but once you have had it you wont catch it again Straight from doctors mouth.I know ive had it
Jaros said:
I think the Ross River Virus recurs for the rest of your life and the Encephalitis can be fatal as it affects the brain.

From the SAHealth website.....

There is no specific treatment for Murray Valley encephalitis and no vaccine to prevent infection.

People who are diagnosed with Murray Valley encephalitis are usually very sick and require supportive care in hospital until they recover.

About 20% of people who become ill with severe Murray Valley encephalitis will die. Of those that survive, about 40% have permanent neurological damage such as paralysis or brain damage. Others still may take several months to recover......

Bloody Mozzies ey!!

I get we need insects like bees for example. Without them we would probably all die, but I don't see what mosquitoes actually do as part of the eco system? They kill something like 1 million humans every year. Amazing something so small has that much power really.

Green Tree Ants if your short on Aero gaurd to repel Mozzies.
Our indigenous used them for insect repellent.
Hi in ascorbic acid / Vitamin C.
Eat the bubble ass end off them & also rub the liquid honey over your skin.
Only hitch is getting enough of them off the nest.
They bite pretty hard those things.
or just take more vitamin C.

1610943382_screenshot_577.jpg

Upside said:
I get we need insects like bees for example. Without them we would probably all die, but I don't see what mosquitoes actually do as part of the eco system? They kill something like 1 million humans every year. Amazing something so small has that much power really.
And that's what they do for the ecosystem, stop the humans from overpopulation!

flyrodder said:
No ross river does not reacure but once you have had it you wont catch it again Straight from doctors mouth.I know ive had it
Jaros said:
I think the Ross River Virus recurs for the rest of your life and the Encephalitis can be fatal as it affects the brain.

RR and BMF are viral infections.....no cure and you have them for life. like many viral infections ie cold sores etc the effects reoccur usually it seems by way of chronic fatigue. Forget what the health departments have on their website...the are wrong.

Had All 4.
Dengue / Ross / Barmah and Glandular.
Dengue was in Nth QLD.
The test for Ross & Barmah is the same but they retest again 2 week later to determine which one.
My 2nd test came back as both.
Mono / Glandular is the kissing disease.
The Doc said,``he thought many people have them just haven`t been tested.``
`I` have seen blokes suffer worse than `I` with Dengue effecting their joints really bad and gives them an aggressive persona so to speak.
What `I` have found is if I am flat or a bit fatigued and get on the grog it can really knock me for 6.
Also sometimes struggle with chronic fatigue.
Do not dismiss those little black bastards their bites I recon are the worse. ]:D

Coming soon to an outdoors near you:

Mosquito bites warning as Japanese encephalitis virus contracted in Victoria for first time:
https://www.9news.com.au/national/j...ne-virus/886a9548-b387-4c0b-bd76-ca94e45f1dbd

Victorian man dies from Japanese encephalitis virus, Department of Health says, investigation underway:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03...ese-encephalitis-department-of-heal/100893430

Fortunately, help is at hand (provided you aren't an anti-vaxxer!)

JEV vaccine rolled out in high-risk areas:
https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/jev-vaccine-rolled-out-in-high-risk-areas-c-5986197

flyrodder said:
Jaros said:

Will second that, contracted Ross River about 15 years ago, was an agonising month.
Dr told me no immediate relief but once it has run its course it will never return, and it hasn't.?

Latest posts