Be Careful of Mosquitoes

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MRE and Kunjan have been detected in a testing station at Meningie in SA but I am unaware of any cases in humans at this point of time, both of which can make you seriously ill and for some it can be fatal. Like Ross River the effects can be debilitating and long lasting.

Jaros said:
I think the Ross River Virus recurs for the rest of your life and the Encephalitis can be fatal as it affects the brain.

Ah right, I had a mate who got Ross River Fever and he went from a strong bloke and when he got RRF he said he felt about 90 years old and every part of him ached and some days he just could not get out of bed,

I have had or have a similar thing to RRV, called chikengunya, I didnt make it up! Its a mozzie type dengue thing, had one reoccurring episode.1st time spent 2 weeks on the couch, tired all the time and joint pain, especially shoulders. Second time was just very tired all the time with very little energy or motivation and aches, but not as bad or for as long as original. Got it from Bali I think.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=chikungunya&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-au&client=safari

G'day

When in the army from the late 70,s during bush training I got bitten by all types of bugs from Victoria to North Qld, ticks, mossies, march flies, sand flies, leaches, you name it, it was not until later years did I associate those bites might have some thing to do with the unexplained aches and pains, skin rashes and irritations that I have occur from time to time, there are many bites that have either an instant effect on you or some that effect you years down the track.

Mossies are a funny breed as well, my missus will usually cop all the bites and they pretty much leave me alone, but just recently in our area there was a short lived plague of the little suckers, funny thing is that they left her alone completely and bit the crap out of me, and just a tip don't go out and water the garden while going commando in boxer shorts bloody angry ants climbed up and bit me all over the place, {) I might have made them upset by trying to drown them. :skull:

cheers

stayyerAU

it's a funny thing....many people ask us whats the worst thing that can happen to you out here. Getting murdered....wild dogs...cranky leaseholders....none of that compares to getting bitten by the wrong Mozzie. Unfortunately I did.....Barmah Forrest Virus...same thing as Ross River Virus more or less and turned out to be a life changing event. It's only my experience but mozzies out here can be your greatest threat.Who would have thought???

To add to the mix there's Q-Fever, like a dust born version of Ross River, got it in 2001, 3 months in bed and would have happily put a gun to my head during the first couple of weeks. I gather it also lingers, once you've caught it, it's with you for life :awful:

When I caught Barmah Forrest Virus the worst thing
for me was my feet. Felt like I had stone bruises and couldn`t walk
that good and was like that for a couple of weeks.

Goldtalk Leonora said:
it's a funny thing....many people ask us whats the worst thing that can happen to you out here. Getting murdered....wild dogs...cranky leaseholders....none of that compares to getting bitten by the wrong Mozzie. Unfortunately I did.....Barmah Forrest Virus...same thing as Ross River Virus more or less and turned out to be a life changing event. It's only my experience but mozzies out here can be your greatest threat.Who would have thought???

Mosquitoes kill more human beings per annum than any other animal (including other humans)

1610606167_mosquitoes.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deadliest_animals_to_humans

I guess being bitten by a mosquito is preferable to being trampled by a Hippopotamus....although judging by some of the comments above, maybe not :)

Yesterday

"Potentially deadly: Riverland mosquito warning
SA Health has sent out an alert warning South Australian to avoid exposure to mosquitos after detecting the potentially deadly Murray Valley Encephalitis virus and Kunjin virus in a surveillance flock of chickens near Meningie. One of the five surveillance chickens tested positive, and it is the first time a sentinel chicken has tested positive to MVEv and KUNv since 2011. The Department for Health and Wellbeings Activing Executive Director of Health Protection and Licensing Services Dr Fay Jenkins said there was no vaccine for the virus, with vigilance against mosquito bites the only way to prevent transmission".
https://indaily.com.au/news/2021/01/13/what-we-know-today-wednesday-january-13/#mosquito

goldierocks said:
Yesterday

"Potentially deadly: Riverland mosquito warning
SA Health has sent out an alert warning South Australian to avoid exposure to mosquitos after detecting the potentially deadly Murray Valley Encephalitis virus and Kunjin virus in a surveillance flock of chickens near Meningie. One of the five surveillance chickens tested positive, and it is the first time a sentinel chicken has tested positive to MVEv and KUNv since 2011. The Department for Health and Wellbeings Activing Executive Director of Health Protection and Licensing Services Dr Fay Jenkins said there was no vaccine for the virus, with vigilance against mosquito bites the only way to prevent transmission".
https://indaily.com.au/news/2021/01/13/what-we-know-today-wednesday-january-13/#mosquito

Ahh..it's on the border.
Thanks mate.

Latest posts