basic gold detector suggestions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glot

Geoff Lotton
Reaction score
I hesitate to add another post about choosing a detector but after spending hours reading in here and all the manufacturer's ads, I am still in the dark.
I tend to pan but recently I panned a small 4 grm nugget. So, it got me thinking about a detector. I will not be digging deeper than about 300mm. Mainly in alluvial that has magnetics but not a lot. Also in normal dirt. I believe from what I have read the minelab 5000 is the bee's knees but I am not going to spend that much and don't need it's capabilities. The SD2300 looks attractive but I don't need waterproof and a bit expensive for my situation. Like how it folds up though. In Minelab, I was looking at the Eureka gold but will it suit my situation? I will be searching for huge nuggets but expecting to find very small. What about some other brands? Really, I just want the cheapest and most basic unit that will serve my limited application. Another option I would like but not essential is to be able to swap coils. Smaller for tight areas and bigger for open ground. The cheaper the better. If it goes well, I can always upgrade and have a spare or a loaner. I don't have any shops locally that I can walk into and look at a range. Also, good after sales backup is important to me.

Only drawback with the GMT is they will only take a DD.....mono coils are out of the question!

The Whites Sierra Pulse Pro (SPP) is the best 'value for money' pulse induction machine on the market and would be my pick, huge range of coil choices both Mono and DD........
Buy online and have it delivered to your door!

$1245.00

http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/

Cheers

I 2nd the SPP you wont be disappointed as it's SO QUIET and easy to use! There are a few different mods you could add later like the conductivity switch but you won't need it to start with.

Very helpful advice from all so far. I don't want the best machine. I just want what is good for my limited requirements. You seem to understand that. Not all do.
I am sure I will find the answer somewhere in here but in simplistic terms, where would you use a DD or a mono coil? Which one would be better for my situation?

Been having a search in here. Does anyone know of a post that just gives some basics of this soil is generally suited for this situation and this technology is generally good for etc.
I am chasing sensitivity rather than depth and like the idea of the GMT black sand feature and good ferrous indication. Then again, PI seems better technology for deeper stuff. The Eureka has a choice of frequencies. From what I have read, higher frequency is better for really small stuff but lower goes deeper. Is this correct?
Maybe I need to get more scientific and put the names in a hat. They will all probably do what I want.

If your simply looking to add to your panning needs by searching through the rubble, or looking for black sands where gold is found, than the GMT is all you would need. The Eureka will work due to it having both the 60 and 20 khz frequency options along with a more common coin frequency round 6-6.5khz, but it lacks the black sand feature and the more reliable iron ID of the GMT, which from memory is probably the most reliable iron ID system to date.
Te GMT is also able to monitor the ground mineralization, which is helpful when tracing leaders.
Having used both these machines, the GMT on a regular basis, it would be the better pick for simple needs like you have described. The Eureka just doesn't have the same following.

The GMT is also able to take a range of larger coils, and smaller coils, none of which are monoloop.

The monoloop on a PI detector gives a lot more sensitivity, the DD coil gives better ground handling on both PI and VLFs.
Working in waterways as you know, rusty wire and the likes are problematic, the DD coil is the superior coil when attached to detectors with iron ID or discriminating capabilities. The DD coil by design has these abilities built into it regardless of the make or model detector you attach them to.

I have nothing against the SPP, but the VLF offers more usable scenarios for your limited requirements.

PI detectors will go deeper and in most cases handle heavily mineralized ground better, with both a mono coil and DD.

The Eureka has a choice of frequencies. From what I have read, higher frequency is better for really small stuff but lower goes deeper. Is this correct?
Yes.

Sounds sound advice to me. Starting to get a good picture. A small DD coil on a GMT could be the go for me. I won't be generally sweeping. I will be targeting specific spots of gravel or ground. Just spot checking. I don't want to know about anything too deep as I won't be digging it and will always be wondering what if. I don't want to find black sand but it is often associated with Au in alluvial so the ability to handle it would be good. Only draw back I can see is I don't have the option of fitting a mono coil but if me needs changed to wanting to do that then I would probably also upgrade the detector.

If you want the heightened sensitivity effect that a mono coil has on a PI detector, you can always put a concentric coil on the GMT instead of the DD. That's a trade-off of enhanced sensitivity to small gold versus more difficult pinpointing and more hassles with mineralisation in hot ground. Swings and roundabouts, really.

Look at this coil for the GMT, it has quiet a following for small gold.

http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/...1/search-coils/shooter-4-x-6-dd-coil-222.html

Or if you go PI detector, say the SPP, your nearest match will be either of these two.....

http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/...-6-sadie-advantage-mono-elliptical-solid.html

http://www.minersden.com.au/coiltek-6-round-goldstalker-mono-coil/

I have used the small 5.3" concentric on the MXT and V3i, but i find the 10x6" to be better at separating trash from treasure on both detectors. Iv not used the 6x4 shooter coil on my GMT as i find the 10x6 can be testy on some hot ground as it is. Plus i dont have the 6x4. :D
Something else to think about when using such small coils is, they can overload pretty quick due to their more intense field. For what i use them for here in oz, the 10x6 works well enough. The smallest bits of foil one would think just could not be picked up by a detector, get picked up.....annoyance, but small jewelry falls into this category so dig it you must. :|

Thanks grubstake. Something to keep in mind. I have read so many posts recently and I an finding the replies I am getting very useful. I know other new detectorists will find it helpful too. Thanks everyone. As a side note, I belong to a few forums for various hobbies. I find this one to be pretty good.

So, would a detector like those suggested detect gold the size of a match head 8 or 10 inches down in sand/ clay/ dirt with little magnetics?

No. There is no detector known to man that will detect a match head size nugget 8-10" deep the GMT and SDC2300 might at 2.5" but anything beyond that is a dream....

That pretty much shovel work territory as pointed out. You might be lucky in retrieval to nab something small with something big below that depth but it would be purely luck. You would have to bring anything that small to the top before you had a chance.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
No. There is no detector known to man that will detect a match head size nugget 8-10" deep the GMT and SDC2300 might at 2.5" but anything beyond that is a dream....

Don't agree!

The GMT VLF will spank an sdc any day!

I have proof! ;)

Okay then. What sort of solid nugget, in grams, could I generally expect a detector to pick up at easy digging depth of say 8 inches. I have never used one and am not in a situation where I can try various ones. I don't want to spend a fortune and find out I have no use for it. I am a panner normally. I can belt through a lot with a turbo pan.

you will buy a cheap one :)

get an addiction ;)

just buy the best one that ya really do want :cool:

glot said:
Okay then. What sort of solid nugget, in grams, could I generally expect a detector to pick up at easy digging depth of say 8 inches. I have never used one and am not in a situation where I can try various ones. I don't want to spend a fortune and find out I have no use for it. I am a panner normally. I can belt through a lot with a turbo pan.

One thing you need to realize is that there is No DO ALL PERFECT detector, If you want the detector to give you information on Ground Changes then Get the GMT, If you want a Detector to handle hot Ground then Buy the SSP or TDI SL,
The GMT has 3 or 4 coils that it can use, The SSP has Over 100 Coils So The Machine can Grow with your Needs, The Down Side is Battery life But It doesn't come much better for ease of use,
The GMT will give you all the Ground Info you need and it will find Deep Nugget Depending on how hot the Ground is and the Battery Life Is around 40 to 50 hours.
Every thing the Guy's have said is True So ask your self Do you want A Detector for Ground Info and Exploration THEN get the GMT,
Do You want a Detector that Can Grow with you and Work in any Type of Gold Baring Ground THEN Buy The SSP, Although I would Get the GMT, Knowing what I do about Aussie Dirt Common Sense Tells Me To Buy the SSP because it will do what the Guys have said and you can always buy the GMT Once you have started to RE Coup some of your Outlay.

Don't Over think It Because you will Start putting things in the Way and end up loosing sight of your Goals.

All great advice. I just tend to do a lot of research first but I lack the ability to do the most useful. Demo a few styles, even in a seeded bucket.
I spend hours upon hours searching/ researching for new sites to pan. The 5 P's. Poor preparation = piss poor performance.
I have taken on board all thoughts given here and they are all so much appreciated.

Latest posts