Australia's Mining Ghost Towns

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link...
Worth doing road trips even if there is no gold left

Thanks for the link KGB, .... Fascinating subject ay. .. As Old Mate and Palmer neighbour, Gm says, they missed a few, but a quick scan of the 'Home Page' indicates that these folks are dedicated to adding to the list.

Gm and I share a common, very close proximity to Maytown .. No substantial buildings left there now, but what a piece of history and heritage .. And what town it would have been in its glory days.

Hi all,

KGB, thanks for posting a great link (another one for my favourites)

Jim & Kerrie

Hi all,

I found that the under mentioned publication (Available from your local library) was hard to put down and even harder to return to the library. 99% of the towns listed are formerly old gold towns. Each of the towns list have GPS co-ordinates, AND I further discovered that in some cases, GOOGLE EARTH PRO had individual lot overlays of were the towns formerly existed - enjoy :)

Angor to Zillmanton : stories of North Queensland's deserted towns.
by Hooper, Colin

Clunes/Talbot (Vic) are Ghost Towns? Be big news to the people that live there, and its a few.

I have that book bigfella, its a great read and have located a few ghost towns in my local area through the co ordinates given in it. after much research and exploring I manged to locate an old ghost town last weekend and it was amazing just to walk through the remenants!

Does anyone know some of the owners around Nerriga etc... Just wondering if they would let us do some metal detecting around the area, maybe some sluicing when we buy one.

Cheers

Mick

i live rather close to Walhalla and never knew it was a gold rush town, well closer than the golden triangle and go shooting that way often hmmmmm

I was told of a chinese store that was still operating in the late 70s. Its less than 50mt from a main road and since its closure (when it was burnt to the ground by a bushfire) no one has been there. All that remains is a concrete slab. It was a hub in the area for many years. There is no road in because it was on the side of the road. The caretaker across the road tells me he was living there when it closed. He has never seen tracks going in the area or any sign of people taking an interest in it. Sounds like a case of lost history to me...and a great place to swing the coin machine!!. ;) Ill bet thats not in any books!!

Latest posts