Audio feedback recall for the 6000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just saw this under the updates page on the minelab site.

https://www.minelab.com/anzea/metal-detectors/gpx-6000
Minelab has identified infrequent cases where users hear audio feedback when using the internal speaker. Please refer to the product notice on our website by clicking on the link below.

https://www.minelab.com/support/product-notices?article=482551

Minelab have produced a hardware update that removes this effect. This update is present in all newly manufactured GPX6000s.

In the event you have a production standard without this update and have experienced audio feedback when using the speaker please follow the procedure below in Australia to arrange for this update to be completed on your detector.

Please note for maximum performance headphones should be used. Headphone performance is unaffected with this update.

Australia

1. Contact Minelab head office via phone or email.

[email protected]

(08) 8238 0888

You will need the following information ready to give to Minelab staff:

- Full name
- Contact phone number
- Return postal address
- Detector serial number (located on the bottom of the control box)

2. Minelab staff will then determine if your detector already has the hardware update.

3. To have your detector updated you will need to send your detector control box to the following address.

Minelab Service
2 Second Avenue
Mawson Lakes
South Australia

To say I am angry at minelab for this is an understatement. Was so excited to buy one of these as thought I was really upgrading from the Qed. Half a dozen hunts from hell with this detector (gpx6000) was very frustrating with all this noise problem. I really felt like I was wasting my time every time I used it. Ended up being so frustrated I quit gold detecting, and sold the detector for a thousand dollar loss. A few months later I find out this? I feel like I have been scammed by minelab honestly. So for me, buying a gpx6000 was very costly in cash and enthusiasm... I'm about $2k down after it and countless lost time and effort.. At least the Qed didn't cost me this badly,, and delivered something similar to what it portrayed it was meant to be like.. The gpx6000 promises and marketing where a complete lie in my opinion, and they ought to be ashamed of themselves for this.. Might have to explore if I have any legal options with ACCC, but probably and this stage not much I can do now I've sold it.

Last edited by a moderator:
To say I am angry at minelab for this is an understatement. Was so excited to buy one of these as thought I was really upgrading from the Qed. Half a dozen hunts from hell with this detector (gpx6000) was very frustrating with all this noise problem. I really felt like I was wasting my time every time I used it. Ended up being so frustrated I quit gold detecting, and sold the detector for a thousand dollar loss. A few months later I find out this? I feel like I have been scammed by minelab honestly. So for me, buying a gpx6000 was very costly in cash and enthusiasm... I'm about $2k down after it and countless lost time and effort.. At least the Qed didn't cost me this badly,, and delivered something similar to what it portrayed it was meant to be like.. The gpx6000 promises and marketing where a complete lie in my opinion, and they ought to be ashamed of themselves for this.. Might have to explore if I have any legal options with ACCC, but probably and this stage not much I can do now I've sold it.
Hi Hippy.

I understand your frustration as for the $$ spent you should certainly expect something that delivers.

With respect to the ‘promises and marketing’ though, I have been one of the lucky ones where the actual detection performance of the unit has been fantastic (far superior to the QED).

Not without its issues though with fine cracks in the coil ears and EMI instability at times when using the speaker. Like Grumpy, I also just dropped mine of at Bendigo Miners Den on Saturday and it hopefully had the hardware upgrade yesterday and is in the mail.

One query for you, was the EMI issue with yours better when using the headphones than when using the speaker? If not, it may have been a dodgy coil? Was the 14” DD any better?

Shame that it has put you off the hobby 😕

Hi Hippy.

I understand your frustration as for the $$ spent you should certainly expect something that delivers.

With respect to the ‘promises and marketing’ though, I have been one of the lucky ones where the actual detection performance of the unit has been fantastic (far superior to the QED).

Not without its issues though with fine cracks in the coil ears and EMI instability at times when using the speaker. Like Grumpy, I also just dropped mine of at Bendigo Miners Den on Saturday and it hopefully had the hardware upgrade yesterday and is in the mail.

One query for you, was the EMI issue with yours better when using the headphones than when using the speaker? If not, it may have been a dodgy coil? Was the 14” DD any better?

Shame that it has put you off the hobby 😕
Hi north-east. Yes it's a bit of a shame for me. In regards to your question, I never tried the headphones,. Didn't feel I should have to as speaker was built in and one of the draw cards for me. I did try the 14" coil also each time and it made absolutely zero difference. Still was noisy as hell using that.. I didn't clue onto it until I eventually saw some other YouTube videos showing threshold thru a speaker on their machine which was a world better than mine. There was no admittance from Minelab at that stage and that's what made me loose my s#$%.. I had purposely waited 4 months before purchasing to hopefully get one with any bugs ironed out... I didn't feel at all like going thru a warranty process at that stage as I thought I had bought a professional machine with no worries needed with the price to match.. But no, turns out Minelab are now not associated with "quality", and as a customer you have to do their quality control for them, so they can make a few extra bucks...
I seem to have managed to purchase a decent equinox 800 and coiltek 10x5 coil when I purchased the 6000 sour lemon, so can always drop in on the diggings for a swing if I go past the area, but no way I would do the 2 hour drive specifically for gold detecting ever again

I rang them today and spoke to the service department.
Apparently every machine bar what was released in the the last couple of months. Needs this done.
Service tech said if you use headphones there is no need for the update done.
But who knows.

@hippyhunter mate to be perfectly blunt, it sounds like you cut off ya nose to spite your face to me?!
Hi-tech gear can have issues only found with mass use, ie after release.
However you had the option to return it, but didn't and sold it on to someone, knowing it had issues??
Have you asked the person that you sold it to how they are going with the machine?

@hippyhunter mate to be perfectly blunt, it sounds like you cut off ya nose to spite your face to me?!
Hi-tech gear can have issues only found with mass use, ie after release.
However you had the option to return it, but didn't and sold it on to someone, knowing it had issues??
Have you asked the person that you sold it to how they are going with the machine?
Simmo I have higher expectations than you it seems when I buy an $8000 electronic tool. Qc should be performed in development and manufacture, not letting a majority of machines be sold faulty. It's inexcusable, and I should not have to be the one to spend good dollars to find out for them. In my opinion they been real shady about the whole thing too denying anything until it can't be denied anymore. And if you are incinuating I knowingly sold a dedgey detector to someone knowing, sorry buzzz! Wrong there too. I didn't know of its fault at the time dyeto Minelab deceit. Also I made them aware I found it to be noisy, along with any others I've heard of on forums, so it must be normal... I sold it for $7,000 with extras, and made sure the warranty was transferred appropriately in case Minelab suddenly decided they where busted and decided to own up about something. So I'm not sure what you are implying I did immorally??? Not Minelabs fault eh? 👍

All good, not implying anything?
I don't know the story, just making comment on what you have posted??
Have you asked the buyer of your faulty machine, what became of it?
One could assume they would be stoked to buy at such a price and simply return it under warranty and get it fixed?

BTW a mate of mine just bought a $130K+ Toyota Landcruiser 300 series.
It's been recalled twice, for minor 'amendments', as a mechanic, he has complied and is happy as!

No mate. I didn't ask them. I sold it so I didn't have to have any more concerns about it. Yeah if they where happy to go thru all that garbage with warranty they got a great deal... Mind you I saw one go on marketplace for $6000. Bet you that was similar situation.. An inexperienced buyer copping all that noise and being deterred altogether thinking it was meant to be like such... Or even 'their fault' not knowing what they are doing (minelab was the ones who insisted easy expert on the box) . This issue was a bit more than minor in my books. I bet most owners of the Toyota's weren't driving along every day from new thinking "WTF is going on here then???"
It's seems there are one type of people that think mass faulty detectors is acceptable if warranty is served, I am in the group that thinks they should have found this out before they took our money and pumped out as much sales as possible before admitting fault

The response I received from Minlab today was;

"Thank you for your feedback. In regards to the faulting with your Gpx hopefully it is a simple fix. I have seen similar which turned out to be dirty connections between the battery and the control box. If you try giving the connections a good clean and see how it goes from there. If this does not solve the issue let me know and we'll get it sorted out for you"

The problem could be a simple as that because it has only played up about six times in three weeks of use every day. Once started the detector works normally however the problem is exactly the same as the fault that they attempted to fix by changing the control panel.

I do have confidence in their warranty service. Whenever I've had a fault it's been rectified quickly with no argument.

The response I received from Minlab today was;

"Thank you for your feedback. In regards to the faulting with your Gpx hopefully it is a simple fix. I have seen similar which turned out to be dirty connections between the battery and the control box. If you try giving the connections a good clean and see how it goes from there. If this does not solve the issue let me know and we'll get it sorted out for you"

The problem could be a simple as that because it has only played up about six times in three weeks of use every day. Once started the detector works normally however the problem is exactly the same as the fault that they attempted to fix by changing the control panel.

I do have confidence in their warranty service. Whenever I've had a fault it's been rectified quickly with no argument.
MB 100% spot on, wish all other Manufacturers honoured their warranty and products in the same manner 👍

Just had mine done at bendigo yesterday...made a hell of a difference,just a pity minelab treats it customers with distain
Disdain is the word I may use to describe well my experience with Miners Den and also why i have never been back, :mad: but EXEMPLARY and OVER and ABOVE would be the words I'd use to describe all service received from Minelab 👍
Also having dealt with customers for many years, some need to realise that the "manner of approach" could many times yield a far better result 🤔

Last edited:
⚠️ General warning: Defamatory type comments won't be tolerated on the forum against any supplier, manufacturer, member or other person. These types of comments will be removed/edited or the post deleted without notice.
All please read the above.

Discussing issues with any equipment is ok on the forum but using defamatory names &/or swearing is not.
Please keep the discussions civil without using defamatory names or swearing.
* Before anyone starts on it - this goes for all brands not just Minelab. I spent a considerable amount of time earlier this year removing similar defamatory threads, posts, comments & incorrect information from another section dedicated to a different manufacturer.

While the GPX6000 situation hasn't been ideal for too many purchasers (unacceptable really) there are also a large percentage that have been very happy with it also.
If you have an issue but don't feel like going through the warranty process then unfortunately you leave yourself without any option for recourse.

As has been said on the matter countless times before, if you have an issue with the GPX6000 (or any brand/model for that matter) then:
- in the first instance contact your dealer with as much information & evidence of the issue as possible. The dealer should contact the manufacturer & get it sorted
- if you feel the dealer has not sufficiently actioned the issue contact the manufacturer directly
Warranty is there to protect consumers in Australia & not using it leaves yourself with little or no other options.
I've had both GPX6000 I purchased (1 for a mate) have issues. Both were warranty repaired & returned in under 10 days NSW > SA > NSW. Both have had no further issue in over 12 months of use. I won't be sending either back for the speaker "upgrade" as yet because it's a non-issue for us.

MB 100% spot on, wish all other Manufacturers honoured their warranty and products in the same manner 👍
Well dropped mine off to minersden bendigo today and all fixed in 15 mins. Wished all warranty repairs were firstly fixed promptly but also no on going pushing required. So really a non issue. Great service guys