Garrett AT Max information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the question my friend! Do some research, you can never do too much.

A good place to start is find a place that you can get to that has produced gold, look for what geology the gold has been previously found on and try and identify a pattern. Apply said pattern to the surrounding areas and have a crack!

If we all new where the gold was we wouldn't be having this conversation! I'd be drowning myself in 18 year old Glenfiddich on a yacht somewhere in the caribbean hahaha

Its about the adventure man, enjoy the journey! :pickshovel: :goldnugget: :) :Y:

camlidd said:
sorry but i dont really want to using up my time on everyone elses locations

As for using up your time on everyone elses locations the fact of it is that's what we're all doing, going over ground that was mostly found in the 1800's. The only way you won't be on old ground is when you find a patch on virgin ground and like you we all want and dream of that happening. I can't help you with your machine and wish you all the best with it. If it's gold you want to find as your primary target buy Minelab or QED.

camlidd,
I jumped in the deep end with no prior knowledge of anything and bought the AT Max thinking all i had to do was get a machine, wave it at the ground and the gold would appear. To be honest it doesn't happen that way. I spent an awful amount of time learning what threshold is, what ground balancing is, how the machine actually worked, what discrimination is and how it all ties together.
Basically the conclusion i had reached was that the machine i had (not knocking the VLF) was not cut out for what i wanted to do. I wanted to find real gold and a P.I machine was the only way to go.
So i was looking at getting a Minelab SD2000, they are a P.I machine that has well and truely proven it can and still does find gold. You can find them for around the $700 - $900 range for a good one if you look hard enough. They are upgradable and all of the new tech coils work with them.
I then decided that if i wanted to be serious about it i should get a machine the pro's use and i went with the GPX 5000. Cost me an arm and a leg, but now there is no excuse for not finding the shiny stuff. And to tell you the truth, i am well on my way to paying it off, best decision i have ever made.
Stick at it, that machine will teach you a lot.
Treat it as an apprenticeship and you will go far.

ALL THE BEST MAN

yes sweet thanks ill see what i can find.
do i ground balance on zero everything then set the setting or it doesnt matter?
ahh yes thats it we all would be doing something special

thanks alot muza thats teally why i bought this one it all look really user freindly n gives me a good idea about metal detecting before i go to crazy and buy the bees knees. ill have a look at them later on cheers.
thanks for all the help guys gotta do the reseach.
camm

The ATmax, is quite the detector.
Just have to adjust it manually.

Glad to see some people working it out.

Cheers.

1: Next step will be to getting the AT Max working on dry Black sand. ;)

2: After that it's the wet Black sand, that's the interesting part, to get the Max working at at full depth at one bar off full sensitivity. :D :perfect:

Latest posts