Anyone know of large bodies of water that have gold deposits

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nirvanadirt said:
Looks like it's come off some host quartz,, nice!!
Yeah I've done a heap of research to the point that my heads spinning as where to go! I might get some gold maps up and get the darts out?!! I've basically been using https://gsv.vic.gov.au/sd_weave/anonymous.html and an old map of old gold fields I found online as well as some stuff from state library. But all amounts to taking the first step and moving some dirt !!
Are there restrictions that I should be aware of. In the Maldon area?! Thanks for the heads up as I'm not too knowledgeable about the laws. I figured I'd get some kind of exclusion map when I get my license sorted.
The info is on the geological website re restrictions etc and they have an interactive on-line map, There are 50K or 100K maps and a report for Maldon also.

Maps, reports and data - Earth Resources

Earth Resources publications (efirst.com.au)

Nirvanadirt said:
Yeah I've done a heap of research to the point that my heads spinning as where to go! I might get some gold maps up and get the darts out?!! I've basically been using https://gsv.vic.gov.au/sd_weave/anonymous.html and an old map of old gold fields I found online as well as some stuff from state library. But all amounts to taking the first step and moving some dirt !!
Are there restrictions that I should be aware of. In the Maldon area?! Thanks for the heads up as I'm not too knowledgeable about the laws. I figured I'd get some kind of exclusion map when I get my license sorted.

I thought as much when you were asking about the Cathedral Ranges, that's a NO ACCESS for prospecting area as its a National Park.
There are many no go areas, and it is wise to research the legalities before venturing out.

Swinging & digging said:
Nirvanadirt said:

I thought as much when you were asking about the Cathedral Ranges, that's a NO ACCESS for prospecting area as its a National Park.
There are many no go areas, and it is wise to research the legalities before venturing out.
The Cathedral Ranges are no great loss - I am aware of a single hard-rock mine that probably did not produce ten ounces historically. In adjacent farmland so private land that one could get permission for possibly - but almost the alst place on Earth that I would bother.

Shite thanks for the heads up as far as no go areas and the amount of laws that govern this game. I thought that with a license as long as you left things the way you found them as far as digging you could prospect on all crown land in vic. I'll be sure to do a heap of research on what I can and can't do and where I can or can't do it before I go digging anywhere. Seems strange that you wouldn't be allowed to swing a detector around at the cathedrals though as it's not gonna really disturb anything once filled in any hole dug.

Thanks for the links Goldierocks!!!
?For keeping my arse outa strife S&D!!

In 1986 me and a few mates camped the night at the Cathedral and a ranger turned up, a few minutes later another mate turned up in his 3 cylinder Suzuki LJ50.
The ranger accused him of speeding? Which is not possible in one of those midget 4WDS, though they rev like crazy. I can tell you that Ranger was rather cranky and abusive, still haunts me to this day.

As GR has said no point detecting there, only outcome would be more restrictions on our hobby.

Swinging & digging said:
In 1986 me and a few mates camped the night at the Cathedral and a ranger turned up, a few minutes later another mate turned up in his 3 cylinder Suzuki LJ50.
The ranger accused him of speeding? Which is not possible in one of those midget 4WDS, though they rev like crazy. I can tell you that Ranger was rather cranky and abusive, still haunts me to this day.

As GR has said no point detecting there, only outcome would be more restrictions on our hobby.
....and no gold to show for it

Yeah I'm gonna steer clear of wasting time and more importantly getting a boot in the arse for my troubles looking around there! However near Marysville there is a granite outcrops called Ben Cairn. I will check the laws regarding the area and potentially have a look there if the law permits. Then it is off to the golden triangle or perhaps the golden triangle first.

That granite has no gold (most granite in Victoria has no gold). Definitely. Nearest places with gold are Alexandra, Eildon and a little bit with tin on Tin MIne Creek Buxton. Never got any gold at the last but got a mass of tourmaline crystals the size of a football., Warburton (Upper Yarra). Most areas restricted. I imagine Ben Cairn is in the park - skiiable in winter.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-27/gold-nugget-found-in-ballarat-by-retiree/11353044
1610346261_screenshot_2021-01-11-16-23-32.jpg

Nah Ben cairn is at the top of a mountain behind Marysville where there's some quartz veined granite that we used to rock climb and a big shelf at the bottom of the Clif face (I believe that it's a look out as there's a fence going around the perimeter of the cliff edge with a parks vic path leading to it.
Then again that nugget says a little over a thousand words there silver!

Yes, on the Warburton-Healsville road west of Donna Buang? East of Mt Toolbewong and north of Launching Place. South from Coranderk Creek that runs into Badger Weir at Healesville. From memory the road changes sides of the ridge near there, running along the top of the range. Cross country if you get a low fall in winter. Digit Dancer, The Cliff etc. Are you talking about somewhere else? I don't know a Ben Cairn at Marysville. I learnt to do technical climbing in the Cathedral Range when I was about 15.

I would have thought that was Yarra Ranges National Park. Definitely useless for gold at Ben Cairn.

Latest posts