Anyone got an opinion on the 2021 Hilux? Good? Bad?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Might grab myself a new car as my existing one is essentially worn out.
Considering the new Hilux over the Ranger, largely because of the higher (perceived) resale value.
Anyone had one or got one? Whatre they like out in the bush?

We use them at work no off road, but good cars.I have an 08 lux , best car I have ever owned.

I had a ford ranger previousley and had a good run out of it considering the off rd work it did but its fueleconomy was shite, when we decided to up grade and after doing a trip with my younger brother in His Isuzu Dmax i became a convert, the problem with most of the latest 4x4s now as i see it and having been a Diesel Mechanic for almost 50 years is they dropped in Smaller engines and added over size Turbos or alternatley Two turbos to make the Horsepower, turning the engines into Hand grenades, in the case of the Hiluxes its only a 2.4 litre at 110 kws but you have the option of the 2.8l, the mitsubishi is also smaller capacity 2.2 as is the Nissan Navara, my last job involved being supplied with a 2.5l Nissan Navara (Diesel) and i found it to be under powered when towing, also it was thristy as hell using up to 18litres per 100kms towing.
I still am a believer in you cannot beat cubes ie engine size, my Dmax is 3.0l has the 4jj engine which has been around for years and is 6 speed auto, the whole vehicle is a bit agricultual but who cares i average 9.5 to 10 litres of fuel per 100kms towing our camper fully laden, i have had the Ecu remapped to 165 KWS, And we love it on our last trip to the Pilbara we used half the fuel we used in the previous year with the Ford Ranger , we have clocked up almost 30000 kms this year and could not be more happier, i would look at some of the forums around as the Hiluxes have lost a lot of ground over other brands and bang for buck etc.try this site below.
https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/best-dual-cab-4x4-ute-2021-the-verdict-129642/ try this site for comparisons etc. The Isuzu comes up second where the Lux is Fourth, i also notice where i live most farmers are now driving Isuzus where as a :cool: few years ago it was all Luxes Just my thoughts aye.

I also will put in a plug for the D-Max, I have a 2013 & only thing that's dropped it's bundle is aftermarket shocks & aftermarket springs, all operator error.

I bought a new Dmax in 2011, added a slide-on camper, and for the 110k kms I owned it, it was faultless.
They're built for longevity rather than outright performance, slightly agricultural, but their increasing popularity only indicates they're worth considering,

Phil

7.62marksman said:
As people know I had a bt50 nothing but trouble money pit now have the 2011 Hilux can't fault it should NEVER have left Toyota all I can say is go for it

Read post 7# Ken, Toyota have for a long time held good resale value and if you ever find yourself in the position of needing parts there everywhere. To the contrary other brands of vehicles are closing the gap, Isuzu are imo equal if not better than Toyota and worthy of consideration. As rustyhooks says there's no comparison for cubic metres.

buddy had a new BT50 for about 6 months when the engine gave up.. long story but he ended up with another new BT50 and so far.. so good. He likes it, he doesn't do much towing.

I have an Amarok.. love it. Would I buy again, yep in a flash. I tow a tandem stock trailer (3000kgs) no probs, fuel consumption goes up to about 12 L/100, non towing consumption around 8.5 L/100. Twin turbo 4cyl, stock, no ECU flash. Very comfy both on and offroad. Long journeys not a problem, way more comfy than my ol' 2006 Patrol, but much preferred the Patrol for serious offroad, it was manual trans, but thats being biased cause it had more scratches on it than a one armed Singaporean taxi driver with crabs.

Only thing that stinks is the VW servicing. They're lazy, expensive and do nothing beyond exactly whats written on the service sheet and for me particularly since its a 4WD I think thats piss poor. My folks also have a VW, took it too a VW dealer complaining the AC wasn't getting cold enough, received the car back with VW saying all is now good. Folks said no improvement at all, so they went to the local mechanic. He discovered the AC condenser was chockers full of bugs. $900 later! The whole front end had to come off to get to it. The ol' man fought VW and got a refund for their incompetent lazy ass servicing.

I do all my own servicing and occasionally have a good local mechanic check things over to make sure things are tickety boo.

The review put forward by rustyhooks is very good. There are a couple of items that it does tend to over look. Such as diesel / unlead fuel you can't take a unlead fuel on certain sites, nor can it be purchased. Also as a past user of many of the types of twin cabs mentioned. In the outback certain models if they break down, can end up being wait of many weeks for parts situation unless you intend to carry a very big range of spares. The main consideration should be also the driver comfort, I have seen many new twin cabs purchased for the workers sitting in the staff car park used only for short trips as they are too uncomfortable for the long haul trips( D-Max) the worst offender here. Don't forget if you modify the engine specs by chip mods unless agreed by manufacturer the can void the warranty. There have been reasons why the big mining companies have stuck by certain brands it's not just price alone. Remember if you do purchase a model that is not very common the chance of the next mechanic down the road knowing how to repair it might be small. The best advice I can give is do your research and drive as many different models as possible before buying.
Just my 2 cents worth owner and user of 4wds for over 40 years and user of 4wd drives in mining and construction 40 years in the Pilbara, Kimberly's, QLD and SA.

RM Outback said:
As rustyhooks says there's no comparison for cubic metres.

Been eyeing of those new fandagled 5.7 Hemi Ram Limited lately. Didn't like them much when they first came out but they are growing on me.
Need to compensate for my small , umm toes :lol:

Having said that I reckon the Hilux is a top vehicle :Y: even though I currently drive a Triton.

Solid Luck said:
RM Outback said:
As rustyhooks says there's no comparison for cubic metres.

Been eyeing of those new fandagled 5.7 Hemi Ram Limited lately. Didn't like them much when they first came out but they are growing on me.
Need to compensate for my small , umm toes :lol:

Having said that I reckon the Hilux is a top vehicle :Y: even though I currently drive a Triton.

You might as well consider moving rural with acres to put in a fuel tank, save a quid or two buying wholesale. I like them but not for me, for size I'd prefer an F Truck 250/350

Which brings to mind the new wizbang Ford Ranger, I wouldn't go there wait for the 3rd or 4th in the series :Y:

Wholesale in Victoria is generally around 15 to 20 cents cheaper than the bouser. Currently around the $1.50 WS verses $1.65 to $1.70 bouser.

Holding capacity is key to having a good win. At the start of covid the WS price dropped as low as 0.80 cpl while the bouser price dropped to $1.10/1.20 per litre. From now until June I'll use roughly 7k to 7.5k litres a month. Unfortunately I didn't put the 10k litres tank in 8.( when I should have.

Back on topic I'd go Isuzu :power: :Y:

Latest posts