Minelab GPX6000 coil issues

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah same here SL,all ours are ok,maybe one just starting on the bosses 11 but not a problem atm,i remember using the 17 like a whipper snipper in one spot this year,i was worried phewwww šŸ˜
Yeah, I tend to move a few of the lighter materials around.
Mine has a bit of a loose shift though. No matter how much I've tried to tighten it.
I've given up and will take it back to the store I got it from.

After reading the thread, I thought about the first time that my detector was removed from the box. The first thing that came to mind was the very thin lugs on the coil compared to every other coil that I have owned. Itā€™s a natural consequence of pushing limits of design to achieve bragging rights in relation to weight. In open country with very few obstructions, this design should do a reasonable job. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Fatigue caused by subtle lateral movement of the lugs will eventually lead to cracking and the eventual failure of the mechanism. If the issue arises on a regular basis, I would hope that design modifications would be put in place to address the problem. If you look at the new Nuggetfinder coils for the 6000, there appears to be more ā€œmeat on the bonesā€ in this area. Rohan is very good in designing strong and reliable coils. Hopefully this trend will continue with the Xceed range. With another company now producing a detector that appears to show some potential, competition should lead to design innovation and improvement.

PS. Just checked my 11ā€ and noticed hairline cracks in the same areas as Northeastā€™s coil.
230DE14B-DB17-4DA5-8CD0-A6E784DCB9DE.jpeg
90F605CA-17E2-41C6-8605-A00BDB969AB1.jpeg

6000's or any machines shouldnt be used as Bulldozers to move dirt,rocks,grasses,branches,even trees out of the way. Hense brocken shaft mounts.
I suppose we never know how everybody else treats their machines but considering mine still has the original coil scuff cover on it after 16 months I think I can safely say it hasnā€™t been abused.

Not sure what's going on. When it's fully tightened and the coils on the ground and a bit of pressure is put downwards the bottom connection has a bit of play in it.
Not sure if your saying your rubbers are worn or the yokes lose in the shaft SL?
If the yokes loose just pull it out,get all the old glue off it,sand it up with coarse paper,i even lightly wire wheel them on the shafts i put togethor,sand the inside of the shaft with about 60 or 80 paper lightly(roll the paper so it fits in the shaft),mix up some 24hr araldite,smother the yoke with it,twist it about a bit as ya put it in so the epoxy spreads etc,clean up the excess,tape the join with elect tape and stand it up onight so the epoxy stays at the bottom,if ya key both surfaces up correctly it is a very strong bond.
I think the coils are a bit weak around that area but also im sure where all guilty of it and i know i am,as those rubbers wear we just keep nipping the coil bolt up,instead of replacing the rubbers,no prizes for guessing what's goin on there,as lesgold says there's a price for pushing the boundaries on weight....

Under the yoke rubbers there is a pressed in bush,it does wriggle or allow flex,noticed this a while ago,i just had a look at a new 14 we have here and with new rubbers on a shaft it actually spreads the coils ears a bit,i don't think worn rubbers should cause cracking,my myth busted šŸ˜‚
Ya all just gonna have to pony up and buy one of my shafts šŸ’°šŸ’°šŸ’°šŸ’°šŸ’°šŸ’°šŸ’°šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚7AB947CF-AF6F-4EEF-9C9A-C5C0A9D10E07.jpeg

Not sure if your saying your rubbers are worn or the yokes lose in the shaft SL?
If the yokes loose just pull it out,get all the old glue off it,sand it up with coarse paper,i even lightly wire wheel them on the shafts i put togethor,sand the inside of the shaft with about 60 or 80 paper lightly(roll the paper so it fits in the shaft),mix up some 24hr araldite,smother the yoke with it,twist it about a bit as ya put it in so the epoxy spreads etc,clean up the excess,tape the join with elect tape and stand it up onight so the epoxy stays at the bottom,if ya key both surfaces up correctly it is a very strong bond.
I think the coils are a bit weak around that area but also im sure where all guilty of it and i know i am,as those rubbers wear we just keep nipping the coil bolt up,instead of replacing the rubbers,no prizes for guessing what's goin on there,as lesgold says there's a price for pushing the boundaries on weight....
That bit there where you tighten the shaft. There is a bit of play there when it's fully tightened. May take it apart and have a look tomorrow but I'm not very handy. šŸ”Ø

Attachments

• 20220912_184348.jpg
    20220912_184348.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 0
Have contacted Minelab and the 11" coil will be sent back in the next week or so and have been assured that it will be changed over. Have also been advised that since the original batch there have been changes made so that this does not happen again.

Not great but at least with Minelab you know that warranty issues will be dealt with and it is reassuring to know that things are being done so that the issue isn't simply repeated with the new coil.

Cheers, N.E.

Same as you NE. Contacted Minelab and I was told to send my coil back. Phoned a mate and suggested that he check his coil. It was cracked in a different part of the lug. He sent his back as well. I was pleased to hear that changes to the design of the coil were implemented to solve the problem. Thumbs up to Minelab for addressing the issue. šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘

Do aftermarket coils really make a difference to the standard coils? Why if so?

Do they really make a difference to the standard coils? Why if so?
Difference I've found is the size/shape is better to manoeuvre in tight or overgrown areas.
I would also say they are better built & probably run a bit smoother (but that could be just surface area related too).
Performance wise I can't fault the stock coils though & feel the 11" gives the smaller aftermarket coils a run for their money for sensitivity. I've had mine since release & haven't had any issues with the stock coils though but realise plenty of others have.
If you don't need a smaller or elliptical coil I'd say save your money.

Do they really make a difference to the standard coils? Why if so?
Yeah because you have piece of mind that they will at least work!
My 2nd minelab 11" coil became touch sensitive today. Was running beautifully, then all of a sudden, useless. Pack up and go home with the shits. For an $8 k machine, they got the coil wrong, cheap and nasty shit box coils.

Yeah because you have piece of mind that they will at least work!
My 2nd minelab 11" coil became touch sensitive today. Was running beautifully, then all of a sudden, useless. Pack up and go home with the shits. For an $8 k machine, they got the coil wrong, cheap and nasty shit box coils.
And yet after all the reported failures, their website has the gall to make this astonishing claim:

Minelab bs.jpg