Minelab GPX6000 coil issues

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With respect Redfin, only one that you know of, there have been more. Not to mention the many DOA coils and coils / machines that have developed faults.
Lets not forget that these units have not been around very long !
I am a diehard Minelab fan, but I don't like the new Minelab way of doing things !

Rick

Just interested in THIS fault and how/if it's been resolved..... and to be honest have not heard of any from a few different prospecting areas, if you know of them let us know, especially how it was resolved. Not interested in hearing about other faults (we all know about them).

My source tells me the coils were replaced under warranty, which you would expect from Minelab, who have excellent warranty.
The coils are lightly built with thin plastic, and as time goes on more are bound to crack.
Like any thin plastic, exposed to the sun and elements, it will crack, but you would hope that you get more than a year out of it ( or in your case 6months ).
Perhaps Minelab have beefed up the mouldings on later ones, but time will tell.

Rick

Last edited:
Good news, Minelab will replace the coil (sight unseen by them) ....... still not sure how/why it cracked BUT this is not/has not been reported as a widespread issue.
While I know I haven't dropped anything on it/stepped on it/or had it snagged up somewhere who knows how it happened. Hope to get a follow up once Minelab have a good look at it.

Great result, as we all knew it would be. It would be necessary for them to analyze the failure.
Yep, as much about my relationship with the dealer as it is with Minelab warranty as they're replacing it without seeing what's really gone wrong. Thanks E E Day & Sons and Minelab.

Attachments

• 038F09BB-A557-4888-9F56-06EF6716ED78_1_201_a.jpeg
    038F09BB-A557-4888-9F56-06EF6716ED78_1_201_a.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Obviously not a big issue judging by the lack of feedback from anyone else with a 6000 ..... just strange that my mate and I have cracked coils and the rest of the world doesn't, go figure.

Been an issue since day one, most popular is where the coil cable goes in and next to the shaft mount brackets.

This was an issue on old made coils not flex at this point so has give some where

Back through dealer or deal direct with Minelab do we think?

Always the dealer, I reckon:

1. Because under Australian consumer law, it's the seller's responsibility to remedy any problems for their customer; and

2. Because the more returned faulty gear the dealers have to handle, the more p1ssed off they'll be with Minelab, who will then be under increased pressure to lift their quality standards, which seem to have taken a tumble with the 6000.

Obviously not a big issue judging by the lack of feedback from anyone else with a 6000 ..... just strange that my mate and I have cracked coils and the rest of the world doesn't, go figure.
6000's or any machines shouldnt be used as Bulldozers to move dirt,rocks,grasses,branches,even trees out of the way. Hense brocken shaft mounts.

Just home from a weekend away and thought I would check mine. Cracked both sides :oops:

The right side I almost didn’t notice as it is quite small but easily seen on the camera.

Shame because the coil itself is fine.

Back through dealer or deal direct with Minelab do we think?

View attachment 4438View attachment 4439
Looks to me like a design rather than quality flaw. Why is the mounting lug narrowed around the flange? I would have thought keep the lug the same thickness rather than hollow it out.
It should be obvious ergonomically that the area below the flange would be subject to compression and tension therefore why not extend the thicker part of the lug to join the flange at the bottom.

6000's or any machines shouldnt be used as Bulldozers to move dirt,rocks,grasses,branches,even trees out of the way. Hense brocken shaft mounts.
True they shouldn't be used as bulldozers, and very few are, but in saying that they should be sturdy enough to be continually scraped on the ground. I do this religiously and credit many of my nuggets to this method. I've run Nugget Finder Coils as my main coil choice for a very long time now and have only had one Sadie crack which was deemed to be faulty and was immediately replaced by Nugget Finder. The new 6000 coils should be sturdy enough to handle rough environments as that is where we are mostly searching. Good to see that Minelab are replacing them though.