Anyone checked their 6000 coils lately.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

Teemore

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Obviously not a big issue judging by the lack of feedback from anyone else with a 6000 ..... just strange that my mate and I have cracked coils and the rest of the world doesn't, go figure.

Reaction score
Been an issue since day one, most popular is where the coil cable goes in and next to the shaft mount brackets.

This was an issue on old made coils not flex at this point so has give some where

grubstake

Moderating Team
Reaction score
Back through dealer or deal direct with Minelab do we think?

Always the dealer, I reckon:

1. Because under Australian consumer law, it's the seller's responsibility to remedy any problems for their customer; and

2. Because the more returned faulty gear the dealers have to handle, the more p1ssed off they'll be with Minelab, who will then be under increased pressure to lift their quality standards, which seem to have taken a tumble with the 6000.

Ros

Reaction score
Obviously not a big issue judging by the lack of feedback from anyone else with a 6000 ..... just strange that my mate and I have cracked coils and the rest of the world doesn't, go figure.
6000's or any machines shouldnt be used as Bulldozers to move dirt,rocks,grasses,branches,even trees out of the way. Hense brocken shaft mounts.

Hawkear

Geoff Mostyn
Reaction score
Just home from a weekend away and thought I would check mine. Cracked both sides :oops:

The right side I almost didn’t notice as it is quite small but easily seen on the camera.

Shame because the coil itself is fine.

Back through dealer or deal direct with Minelab do we think?

View attachment 4438 View attachment 4439
Looks to me like a design rather than quality flaw. Why is the mounting lug narrowed around the flange? I would have thought keep the lug the same thickness rather than hollow it out.
It should be obvious ergonomically that the area below the flange would be subject to compression and tension therefore why not extend the thicker part of the lug to join the flange at the bottom.

WalnLiz

Wal nLiz
Reaction score
6000's or any machines shouldnt be used as Bulldozers to move dirt,rocks,grasses,branches,even trees out of the way. Hense brocken shaft mounts.
True they shouldn't be used as bulldozers, and very few are, but in saying that they should be sturdy enough to be continually scraped on the ground. I do this religiously and credit many of my nuggets to this method. I've run Nugget Finder Coils as my main coil choice for a very long time now and have only had one Sadie crack which was deemed to be faulty and was immediately replaced by Nugget Finder. The new 6000 coils should be sturdy enough to handle rough environments as that is where we are mostly searching. Good to see that Minelab are replacing them though.

Reaction score
Yeah same here SL,all ours are ok,maybe one just starting on the bosses 11 but not a problem atm,i remember using the 17 like a whipper snipper in one spot this year,i was worried phewwww 😁
Yeah, I tend to move a few of the lighter materials around.
Mine has a bit of a loose shift though. No matter how much I've tried to tighten it.
I've given up and will take it back to the store I got it from.

Reaction score
After reading the thread, I thought about the first time that my detector was removed from the box. The first thing that came to mind was the very thin lugs on the coil compared to every other coil that I have owned. It’s a natural consequence of pushing limits of design to achieve bragging rights in relation to weight. In open country with very few obstructions, this design should do a reasonable job. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Fatigue caused by subtle lateral movement of the lugs will eventually lead to cracking and the eventual failure of the mechanism. If the issue arises on a regular basis, I would hope that design modifications would be put in place to address the problem. If you look at the new Nuggetfinder coils for the 6000, there appears to be more “meat on the bones” in this area. Rohan is very good in designing strong and reliable coils. Hopefully this trend will continue with the Xceed range. With another company now producing a detector that appears to show some potential, competition should lead to design innovation and improvement.

PS. Just checked my 11” and noticed hairline cracks in the same areas as Northeast’s coil.
230DE14B-DB17-4DA5-8CD0-A6E784DCB9DE.jpeg
90F605CA-17E2-41C6-8605-A00BDB969AB1.jpeg

Latest posts