Alternatives to a cat ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I observed a few years back when a pair of crows built a nest in an old gumtree opposite my house, as the baby crows developed proper feathers and grew bigger, they progressively left the nest, but remained in the home tree, stretching their wings and exploring its upper branches for several days. By the time they were ready to take flight, they looked pretty much like their parents, just a little bit smaller. Unless you were looking closely, you probably wouldn't realise they were the new kids on the block.

I've been browsing through 20 years of photos looking for our old cat run but didn't do too well.

Zimba.jpg

This is the mesh I used and attached it to a PVC tubular frame.

Generally not 🤣

It all started when I said we are not having another cat or dog after our current cat and dog die (but I said that last time too and was ignored 🤨).

I said “what about a crow?”. I am not a ‘cage’ person and think birds were designed to fly so let them fly. A crow could come and go as it pleases, come in the car with us, no issues going to National Parks as it is a native. Won’t need a licence as essentially it is keeping us rather than us keeping it.

Surprisingly, wife thought it was a great idea. You never can tell, can you 🤷🏼‍♂️

Well speaking of baby crows guess what I saw today, yep not just one but two. What did they look like? Well just looked like an adult crow. Only reason I noticed them was they were both getting fed by another crow. Could be their just adult offspring that never moved out of home but I doubt it.

Crows are facinating animals, they did a study a while back into crow deaths and found the reason why 99 percent unfortunately get hit by heavy vehicles on our roads rather than small passenger ones is because while feeding on road kill they always have one acting as a look out crow for danger. Apparently the look out crow can easily say carr carr but he cant say truck truck.

Not sure what your rocks going to do for you though in the event of a house fire.

the best alternative to owning a cat is most native species in your area have a safer life
I just made it even safer for the wildlife and my chickens 10 minuets ago. The chickens should be happy. They got attacked by the same fox this time last week. Screenshot_20221127_063346.jpg Screenshot_20221127_063622.jpg this duck was given to me by the neighbours after all its mates were eaten. Now it wants to live inside but the thing poops all the time. Not a cat and kind of annoying but it will do for now. Screenshot_20221127_070900.jpg

Last edited: