Alone in the Alaskan wilderness - a desperate miner vs a grizzly bear!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing compared to our DropBears. Had to walk through a stand of Eucalyptus the other day with no helmet or bullet proof vest :power: Only protection I had was my N95 covid mask and Pfizer shot.

Goldfreak said:
Nothing compared to our DropBears. Had to walk through a stand of Eucalyptus the other day with no helmet or bullet proof vest :power: Only protection I had was my N95 covid mask and Pfizer shot.
Well, at least Pfizer is a heavier gauge shot than Astra Zenica.

They re bad around our way....
1627091702_dropbear1.jpg

That DropBear photo reminds me of a scene I came across in Sherbrooke forest just after midnight many years ago when I lived up in the Dandenongs in Victoria.

I was driving along an unlit road, when in my headlights I saw a mauled Kangaroo pinned up, leaning back against the road embankment in such a way that made it look like it was still standing, completely opened up with a German Shepherd with its head buried deep inside its stomach, steam still rising out of its stomach cavity in the freezing cold night. I pulled up to a complete stop on the mountain road as there were no other cars around. In the headlights I sat there in disbelief watching, when the German Shepherd pulled its head out of its hot meal to look in my direction. With its face covered in blood, I noticed clearly that it had a collar and a registration disc.

It was only a few kilometers away from the town of Upwey on the other side of the forest, so thinking that this dog probably made a regular habit of supplementing its canned food with a trek into the forest for a native animal hot snack, I rang the wildlife assistance number that I always had stored in my mobile phone (over the years I had seen and hit, or stopped and saved, Possums, Kangaroos, a Baby Kookaburrah, Parrots, an Owl etc.

So, I called the number and a woman answers, obviously a little startled and grumpy as its the early hours of the morning and I have just woken her up. I was understanding of her need to get to the point, as these people are all volunteers and do great work in their own time. So, I started to tell her that I've just come across a German Shepherd in the forest that appears to have killed a Kangaroo and is eating its still-warm entrails. I asked if she thought someone could perhaps get out there and take a look (whether police or a ranger) as the dog had a collar and tag on it, and probably does it all the time.

So she cuts me off, and goes on with her injured animal spiel, and asks me "So, does the animal require assistance".
Me- "No, it's dead......"
Her- "Well, we don't know that"
Me- "Well, Yes I do know that for a fact.........."
Her- "No, You don't know that for sure. It has been attacked but it still might be in pain, are you a qualified Vet"
Me- "No, it's not in pain and I'm not a qualified Vet"
Her- "Well then, how do you know for certain it's dead?"
Me- "Well, Um, it doesn't have a head either..............." :lol:

G'Day All,

Here's my thoughts on this story - as an Alaskan who has spent some time beach mining 7 miles West of Nome:

This "Wilderness Mining Guy" was in a remote camp by himself (first problem),

was down to only 2 bullets left for his weapon of some sort after a week. That would be one last shot at the bear (that he had been shooting at all week!) and then ""The Final Bullet to ....... "" (second problem),

had his camp somewhere near Nome and yet close to the beach where marauding POLAR BEARS are known to transit the area (third problem), (((we had one pass around our camp 7 miles West of Nome)))

"had interaction with" (you know what I want to say) a POLAR BEAR (the only bears in that area) seemingly not understanding that humans are only one rung down on that specie's food chain (yes, there is the #4 problem),

was guilty of storing food very near camp when bears can smell food for up to 10 miles away downwind (up to #5 now),

seemingly had no way to abandon the "camp" (yes sir - that's absolutely #6),

and only had one OMG chance in a hundred for help which was to put an "SOS" marking on the roof just in case a helicopter happened to fly overhead (# 7).

Yeah - terminal stupidity with a creature that regularly stalks, kills and eats any and every animal it comes across when hungry.

Latest posts