⭐ Alluvial Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a look at that thread. Seems like every post here would be immediately disqualified as it says that the find must be ‘detected and dug up’. I can’t imagine that too many panned items would have been detected first (some possibly, but only the minority).
Thanks for pointing that out Jazz.
I've updated the FOM rules to:
"The item/s entered must have been found and recovered by the member entering it."
We certainly do not want to exclude gold found panning/sluicing or gems, fossils, meteorites, relics etc. found with other methods from entering the FOM competition.

@20xwater I'm not that keen to haul water into these spots. It's a bit of a hike in and out.
I need to just wait until we have a couple of days of downpour and hope that solves my problem.
Nice job!

How do you dry creek pan? Similar concept to the water version? Just shake the pan around and let the heavies got to the bottom and discard the top layers?

Last edited:
Went out on a quick 15 minute recon mission with my son and found this in the first pan. Yes, it's only a tiny speck. But the interesting thing is that it came from a little creek, literally 3 minutes from my house, in a town that "doesn't have gold".

View attachment 1668
Cool! That looks a bit rough too. I'd keep looking in that creek that doesn't have gold, mate! And keep that town name very quiet! :)

Went out on a quick 15 minute recon mission with my son and found this in the first pan. Yes, it's only a tiny speck. But the interesting thing is that it came from a little creek, literally 3 minutes from my house, in a town that "doesn't have gold".

View attachment 1668
Don't know how old your son is but its got to be a secret, not even best mates you should tell (as Yoda would say)

View attachment 1668

Id be looking for a couple mates.

True story. Panned a handful of dirt in a creek I thought looked really good, in a gold area, no workings nearby.

I got a few specks in the first pan and got super excited. Spent about 2 hours trudging up and down, sampling the course.

Dawned on me that the specks were just left overs from the last panning run last time out.

I hope this isnt the case for you, best of luck.

Id be looking for a couple mates.

True story. Panned a handful of dirt in a creek I thought looked really good, in a gold area, no workings nearby.

I got a few specks in the first pan and got super excited. Spent about 2 hours trudging up and down, sampling the course.

Dawned on me that the specks were just left overs from the last panning run last time out.

I hope this isnt the case for you, best of luck.
Haha! Gotta hate that.

I always give my year a good clean after a day out. So I know there wasn’t any specks left in the pan. Hehe!

Got the old ‘Rona virus right now, so not in the best shape to give it another crack yet. Maybe in a couple of days. I seem to be on the other side of it now and hopefully my old self in a day or two.

Couple of hours out in the creek yesterday. A whopping 0.26 grams. Almost beating my last PB by double.

B807BF0C-7EDA-46BF-AE9D-F45DD23C35AF.jpeg

Was a strange one. This one crevice kept giving and giving. Tried other spots up and down the same creek and nothing at all. If I didn’t stumble on this one little nook I would have come home with zero. And funnily enough this was the absolute first spot I tried on the day. Started out from pan number one!

Thought I'd share a pic. Think it'll be my 1st in this thread, that I often snoop in.

I've been on a good spot for about 2 to 3 months...been going straight there with every opportunity. Early starts and full days.
These pics were from my seventh trip there. Been back twice since then...the average is staying over a gram...took me some 5 yrs to hit the ounce...should be shorter to hit Ounce 2.
I can tell you there is a silly amount of hard work going in hahahaa.🤪
'2 Logs' Rnd 7 - Copy.jpg'2 Logs' Rnd 7 weight - Copy.jpg

Hi Folks. OK, so it's not the biggest haul you'll ever see but with the magic of microscopy and some shaky photos (cell phone camera held over the microscope eye piece) they at least look a bit more impressive. About 50 micro pieces found in total from about the same number of pans. Nothing larger than 1mm.No point in weighing this 'haul' (I'd guess it'd be about 0.01g in total) but it is the first gold I've ever found and I guess you've got to start somewhere! :)

In this instance it was close to the surface at the head of a gravel deposit on an inside bend. Removing the top 20cm of gravel revealed a thin layer of silt that had formed on top of the main gravel deposit (which is at least 2m+ deep at least so no hope of finding the bed rock). Looks like a recent flood had deposited the fine gold on top of the silt layer. Washed out of the bank at that spot perhaps? No gold found below the silt layer.

Attachments

• 20220514_165540.jpg
    20220514_165540.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220514_165741.jpg
    20220514_165741.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220514_165819.jpg
    20220514_165819.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220525_115155.jpg
    20220525_115155.jpg