All Terrain Tyres

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Its time to put some new tyre on my Navara D40 Ive had a good run with the BF Goodridge AT KOs cant complain about the 120,000 plus Ive got out of them great all round ,all conditions tyre but Im told they dont make them anymore , bugger . The new version is the BFG AT KO2 but they dont get a good wrap for some reason prone to side wall punctures dont last as long as the old KOs etc and at around $300 each its got me second guessing .
Its been recommended that I try the Toyo Open Contry AT2 , they seem to get good reviews not as good in the wet and mud as the KOs but have better side wall and longevity and at around $250 each Im sort of leaning that way . Was wondering if anyone has had these Tyres on there 4x4 and what they think about them
Cheers Booney

Booney, got these on right now. Can't go wrong at that price. Adjust pressures and speeds to suit conditions, and monitor the pressures as well, and they'll be fine. I've not had the BFGs to compare, so can't help you there.

PS - Anytime you buy tyres ensure they give you fresh ones. The manufacture date is stamped into the sidewall (see Goody's post thread Epic Trips).

And here's the info re the AT IIs

http://toyotires.com.au/images/tyres/factsheet/pdf/OpenCountryAT2.pdf

I certainly haven't heard anything bad about the KO2.
Everyone seems to give them a decent rap.

1561702862_capture.jpg

7.62marksman said:
I run Hankook Dynapro ATM on mine at about $140.00 each
Done just under 70k still have about 60% tread left
They have taken me into some areas a billy goat wont go :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good in wet and mud however never been on the beach yet not allowed where i am :mad: :mad:

https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/hankook-dynapro-atm

They get a decent review too m8.

1561708766_capture.jpg

Redfin said:
7.62marksman said:
I run Hankook Dynapro ATM on mine at about $140.00 each
Done just under 70k still have about 60% tread left
They have taken me into some areas a billy goat wont go :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good in wet and mud however never been on the beach yet not allowed where i am :mad: :mad:

https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/hankook-dynapro-atm

They get a decent review too m8.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/232/1561708766_capture.jpg

yes no a lot of difference detween the two

I bought the Toyo Open Country Mud Terrains and they are about as tough as Tyres get, I have BFG's M/T's and Cooper SST's but these Toyo's are just streets ahead,

Booney the KO2 apparently only has 2 ply sidewalls (down from 3), but of a heavier denier fabric. Guys I know running them haven't had any issues in the bush, & seem to be getting good mileage.
Im currently running the Toyo Open Country A/T II & so far they deliver good grip on wet bitumen, bit vague in feel at highway speed & tend to wander a bit (front end has all new rods, ties & bushes), feel really good on gravel, but are only average in deep sand ... the BFGs are better for sand.

Ridge Runner said:
I bought the Toyo Open Country Mud Terrains and they are about as tough as Tyres get, I have BFG's M/T's and Cooper SST's but these Toyo's are just streets ahead,
Thanks mate, so they are just peachy keen for a cheeky little jaunt through the rolling meadows of the English country side, but any idea how they stand up to mulga stakes? :D

madtuna said:
Ridge Runner said:
Thanks mate, so they are just peachy keen for a cheeky little jaunt through the rolling meadows of the English country side, but any idea how they stand up to mulga stakes? :D

Well the Upside to the Toyo's is that they are 10 Ply Tyres and extremely Tough, So I don't think that they would be a problem out in the Bush, I would expect them to fare better than most, having 120P load and speed rating which is 1400kgs per tyre and 150kph speed rating, being able to handle 2800kgs per axle is more than enough for most peoples needs,

I Guess this Guy would know more than most and being in Aus his views would not be eligible for the customary Pi$$ Takes

The Size and Ply rating on Ronny's tyres are an 8 ply and 50psi rated, Mine are 10 Ply and 80psi Rated,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRt4Qm8H8R0

BigWave said:
My thinking exactly madtuna!

Just because I don't use my Vehicle is Oz does not restrict me from buying the best products available and it should be noted that the rest of the world has just as many obstacles to deal with, but most note worthy is that most of the gear I buy was Tried and Tested in Australia long before it ever got released to the rest of the world. Australia being the Ultimate Proving Ground. I only Buy Products that are proven in Australia because if they can Survive there then the rest of the world should not be a problem.

Rockhunter62 said:
"Tried and Tested" Ridge Runner.

Doesn't mean they passed though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Doug

Well if you watch that Video by Ronny Dahl you will hear him State that he has bought 3 Sets of Toyo Open Country Tyres in a Row, Being one of Australia's Top 4wd Adventurers I think he would know a bit more than Guys who just want to make a Career out of discrediting my Posts, Having worked in the Tyre Industry along side a major motoring Manufacturer I do have a little understanding about the subject.

Ronny Dhal? Didnt he write kids books? :D
Tell him to give me a ring...could have put him onto a decent set so hed have only needed one set not three :D