Aftermarket Coils for the GPX 6000 - Coiltek

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting choice to make only coils smaller than the ML ones. No big honkin mono or DD. Maybe NF will make larger coils. Or maybe with the 6000 there’s no benefit going bigger than 17x13? Have a hard time believing that

Unless these new coils run quieter and are less effected by emi and ground noise, I can't really see any benefit for me.
I'm sure so.e might like the little ones for tight places, but I need a patch finder that can be swung fast and is is pretty quiet.

The way the grass is here ATM Dave I'm struggling to use anything but the 11" mono. A smallish elliptical will be handy here.
Hopefully bigger sizes will follow. Would like to see a 14" mono at some stage.

It’s a pity that manufacturers don’t consider making alternate shaft systems for the 6. I reckon that problem needs to be addressed before larger coils are even considered. The choices in relation to small coils is tremendous. Hopefully down the track, DD coils will be explored as viable options in some of these smaller coils.

Unless these new coils run quieter and are less effected by emi and ground noise, I can't really see any benefit for me.
I'm sure so.e might like the little ones for tight places, but I need a patch finder that can be swung fast and is is pretty quiet.

Ye agree Dave .. smaller size to push amongst the heavy grasses . but will wait and see some feedback prior to purchase

I have heard that the new coils are bundle wound and not flat wound like the evo's. Can anyone confirm this?
The stock coils are flat wound I believe.

I've seen an x-ray of the stock 11" mono on Detector Prospector forum & they do appear to be flat/spiral wound coils.
https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/16798-coiltek-coils-for-the-gpx-6000-confirmed/Coiltek stated on the same thread that their new coils will be "bunched" wound?
Not sure if that means traditional bundle wound or not.
I've messaged them for clarification as I'm interested to know too but not overly concerned.
Being bundle wound, but still relatively small sizes, may have some advantages too for those that consider the 6000 too "ratty". Bundle wound may settle it down a bit but still maintain good sensitivity.
Those having trouble with pinpointing with the stock coils may find the "to edge of coil sensitivity" better also.
Personally I'd be happy with flat/spiral wound as I'm finding the 6000 ok but not phased if bundle wound & the sensitivity is there.
I believe smaller sizes like 10x5 can't be flat/spiral wound either.

A small, elliptical coil with sensitivity close to the edge will have its uses. When detecting rocky areas or in tight situations, these little coils should shine. If these coils are also stable in ground that is reasonably mineralised, they could end up as “go to“ bits of gear for quite a few people. I am sure that both manufacturers will be aiming at producing a product that at least matches the stock coils.

I've seen an x-ray of the stock 11" mono on Detector Prospector forum & they do appear to be flat/spiral wound coils.
https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/16798-coiltek-coils-for-the-gpx-6000-confirmed/Coiltek stated on the same thread that their new coils will be "bunched" wound?
Not sure if that means traditional bundle wound or not.
I've messaged them for clarification as I'm interested to know too but not overly concerned.
Being bundle wound, but still relatively small sizes, may have some advantages too for those that consider the 6000 too "ratty". Bundle wound may settle it down a bit but still maintain good sensitivity.
Those having trouble with pinpointing with the stock coils may find the "to edge of coil sensitivity" better also.
Personally I'd be happy with flat/spiral wound as I'm finding the 6000 ok but not phased if bundle wound & the sensitivity is there.
I believe smaller sizes like 10x5 can't be flat/spiral wound either.
Bunch wound would indicate bundle wound .. these are less senstive than flat wound ..and IMHTO a little more stable with ground noise ...

Yes, I cannnot understand why neither NF nor Coiltek is making any flatwire coils for the 6000, I want to get away from the cheaply made malaysian oem flatwire coils, but flatwire coils are so much better depthwise, bundle wound is all minelab would allow these companies to produce. And use their chip. Too bad. Maybe someone else will produce flatwire coils for the 6000?

Older coils were bundle wound leitz wire. Maybe 5-6 yrs ago flatwire spiral wound hit the market for the gpx 4000, 4500, 5000. The flatwire coils can be as much as 3" deeper on nuggets over older bundle wound coils.

Bloody hell! I could only see about 50% of the recovered gold, combination of tiny nuggets and old eyes!
Have coiltek released a price list yet?

Last edited:
Older coils were bundle wound leitz wire. Maybe 5-6 yrs ago flatwire spiral wound hit the market for the gpx 4000, 4500, 5000. The flatwire coils can be as much as 3" deeper on nuggets over older bundle wound coils.
Geez I’m still using my old coiltek coils from from back in 2003 to now and got some nice pieces with them but haven’t been getting too much lately 😩

Minelab got it right with the 7000, being a square shaft that couldn't twist and turn and with all this knowledge the reverted back to round twisty, turny one on the 6000 (much better than the 5000 was though) the mind boggles what goes through their minds? Like the coil cable why does it stick up like an erect d##k to catch on things & beg for damage when stored, and not angle like the 7000 & how hard would it have been to design the cable to run up the centre of the shaft?
It’s a pity that manufacturers don’t consider making alternate shaft systems for the 6. I reckon that problem needs to be addressed before larger coils are even considered. The choices in relation to small coils is tremendous. Hopefully down the track, DD coils will be explored as viable options in some of these smaller coils.
you

Latest posts