Aerial baiting, Baits - 1080 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mice are keeping my boy VERY busy at the moment, but he doesn't eat them.
I tell him constantly "you don't eat 5hit" but that didn't stop him finding some tangled line with a hook and a fresh squid bait on it some a55hole left while fishing near Coffs the other week.
I was there 10mins, $900 vet bill to get the hook out. :mad:

Good on you 20Xwater, may would have chosen a 20 cent .22. I will not mention how much we spent on one of our dogs but lets just say you could have bought a new car. We love our dogs and if you are going to have them, treat them like family or dont have them at all.
Mackka

Mackka said:
Good on you 20Xwater, may would have chosen a 20 cent .22. I will not mention how much we spent on one of our dogs but lets just say you could have bought a new car. We love our dogs and if you are going to have them, treat them like family or dont have them at all.
Mackka
I just got the hell out of a farm stay, dogs flogged for barking, kept in small cages, shock collars, just a piece of 5hit human being, doesn't spend time with them or train them at all, that's why the pups bark "please spend time with me".
Ide rather be in the bush on my own with my dog!

NSW Updates:​

Notification: Aerial baiting to control foxes and wild dogs in the State Forests north of Newcastle

Forestry Corporation of NSW wishes to advise that Local Lands Services will be conducting ongoing aerial baiting to control foxes and wild dogs commencing 10/05/2022 to 31/07/2022. Baiting will occur in the State Forests listed below.
https://www.forestrycorporation.com... of NSW wishes,domestic pets and working dogs

NPWS Aerial Baiting Program 2022
https://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/...-wildlife-service-aerial-baiting-program-2022

Good to have the notice of a baiting program.

I hate baiting programs, not specific enough.

Just dont take a pet in there or curious little kid.
Taking a dog, or any animal that might taste the stuff, make sure it has a muzzle so that it cant eat or lick at an item.

Last edited:
I know a man who was hired by Parks Vic to do a baiting program in a Vic State Park for foxes.
He did everything right - posted signs everywhere on fences and entrances - local notices as required etc.

He created feeding pads and had them GPS mapped to go and check them for uptake and bait replenishment, and removal at the end of the baiting period.

Even with all these precautions in place, a local took his dogs for a walk in the park and one ate a bait, then the local hunted down this guy doing the baiting program and punched him in the face because his dog died.

Notices don't matter in some cases, I'm afraid...

How do they control the baits left on the ground after an aerial baiting period??

Cheers,
Megsy

Last edited:
When baiting was done on our Station years ago, (ok, it wasn't aerial baiting,) each bait was GPS tagged and physically flagged.
Then any un-taken baits were removed after 3-4 days.
10-80 will breakdown naturally in two weeks so I suppose quarantine the area for that time??

With the above story from Megsy, signs DO matter!
If I were doing my job as per the book and some DH decided that he was more entitled than others and disobeyed the signs and as a result suffered personal harm or loss. STIFF?!
But then to follow that up with a physical assault??
I hope the DH got 3-5yr's for GBH......

When baiting was done on our Station years ago, (ok, it wasn't aerial baiting,) each bait was GPS tagged and physically flagged.
Then any un-taken baits were removed after 3-4 days.
10-80 will breakdown naturally in two weeks so I suppose quarantine the area for that time??

With the above story from Megsy, signs DO matter!
If I were doing my job as per the book and some DH decided that he was more entitled than others and disobeyed the signs and as a result suffered personal harm or loss. STIFF?!
But then to follow that up with a physical assault??
I hope the DH got 3-5yr's for GBH......
I totally agree with you Simmo. He was completely out of line to assault him. And I wasn't suggesting signage shouldn't be used - it absolutely should!
I meant it just doesn't matter to certain DH's like this guy who ignored it, and then blamed someone else for his stupidity.

Cheers,
Megsy

NSW Upcoming Winter Baiting:
https://www.lls.nsw.gov.au/regions/...e that,baiting using manufactured 1080 baits.
Areas that may be of particular interest to fossickers include:
TURON STATE FOREST,
SUNNY CORNER STATE FOREST, MULLION RANGE STATE FOREST,
VACANT CROWN LAND WITHIN THE VICINITY OF: 
AVISFORD,
HARGRAVES,
TURONDALE,
UPPER TURON,
CRUDINE.

Also
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) is conducting an ongoing ground baiting program in HILL END HISTORICAL PARK from Wednesday 1 March 2023 to Thursday 31 August 2023.

The operation will involve the use of CPE's containing 1080 poison (sodium fluoroacetate) for the control of wild dogs and foxes. Some red meat may also be used.

The program is designed to minimise the impact of foxes on wildlife, and to minimise the impact of wild dogs and foxes on neighbouring stock.

All baiting locations will be identified by signs.

Keep your 4 legged friends safe.

Latest posts