Advise needed on cleaning old shipwreck coin

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1574595805_8e6d6bf1-bb2c-45e7-8511-910e2506bac8.jpg

1574595805_afe38638-c5d7-4e09-a5cd-b06b7d565d28.jpg

A mate gave me this coin a few weeks ago,it is off a shipwreck,can the coral staining i guess it is be cleaned up or should i leave it as is?

It's only worth about $5 to 20...But if you really want it to shine then lemon juice for 24hrs or until it's gone..Then a slight finger rub with water and bicarb will get it clean.
But if you want it to sparkle then the tumbler with a teaspoon of borax :Y:

ok thanks phoenix and smokey,ill try the lemon juice and borax,definetly dont want to devalue it,if i had one that is,it wouldnt be a seller either,these blokes are ex pearl divers,maybe one dived on a wreck years ago on the wa coast and stashed a jar with 20 coins in it up a creek nearby,maybe he rang my mate that just bought a 7000 and said i know the spot but not exactly,maybe it took them about 20 minutes to find the jar 1 metre down in the sand,maybe the jar mainly had 6 stuivers in it,the one above is a 2 stuiver,intersting little story and ive made it all up of course and i actually dont have one either,geez if i did id be pretty stoked having a piece of history that predates the english in australia......

PS:very few are in private hands.....

Love the coin!
Any history on Zeilandia or where ever the coin came from? For some reason I'm guessing Dutch but any googling comes up with New Zealand which just doesn't correspond with the date.

I'm at loss to understand why anyone would recommend washing or tumbling a 300 year old coin just to make it bright and pretty. History and the story is in condition of the coin and like wise the value. Years ago the English collectors all cleaned and vanished their old coins now those collection are considered to be the least valued collections around.
Cheers db

No one has recomended doing that.
He asked for ways to clean it.
I collect coins and I want them shiny and pretty :lol:
Except for the really valuable ones. :Y:

Goldchaser1 said:
Smoky bandit said:
No one has recomended doing that.
He asked for ways to clean it.
It maybe old but it's not valuable. :Y:

worth a few bucks if ya did have any smokey,the wreck is the only minted 1711 coins available if they come on the market.....

https://www.sterlingcurrency.com.au/netherlands-zeeland-1711-silver-6-stuivers-km-50-v~83194
Sorry mate I stand corrected.
I should have looked closer I thought it was a 2 stuiver .Well don't clean it mate :lol: :perfect: :Y:
AND DEFINITELY DONT PUT IT IN A TUMBLER :8

Oh i havent got one smokey,i pinched that pic off the net,it is a 2 stuiver,not worth what a 6 is but still quite rare,if ya had one not legally aquired you could get in trouble,lucky i dont have one :)

I have a tendency to make stories up,the first post is all fabricated,the rest is just hypothetical.....

Goldchaser1 said:
Oh i havent got one smokey,i pinched that pic off the net,it is a 2 stuiver,not worth what a 6 is but still quite rare,if ya had one not legally aquired you could get in trouble,lucky i dont have one :)

I have a tendency to make stories up,the first post is all fabricated,the rest is just hypothetical.....
Lol...I was about to say ,
Mate unfortunately they are not the same coin :lol:

The coin is from the Zuytorp from W.A west coast. The entire mintage of that type coin was on that wreck if you had the wa musueum certificate you looking at thousands sadly without it its a little dodgy to own has the wreck was looted about 30 years ago see the book a carpet of silver by playford

Goldchaser1 said:
ok thanks phoenix and smokey,ill try the lemon juice and borax,definetly dont want to devalue it,if i had one that is,it wouldnt be a seller either,these blokes are ex pearl divers,maybe one dived on a wreck years ago on the wa coast and stashed a jar with 20 coins in it up a creek nearby,maybe he rang my mate that just bought a 7000 and said i know the spot but not exactly,maybe it took them about 20 minutes to find the jar 1 metre down in the sand,maybe the jar mainly had 6 stuivers in it,the one above is a 2 stuiver,intersting little story and ive made it all up of course and i actually dont have one either,geez if i did id be pretty stoked having a piece of history that predates the english in australia......

PS:very few are in private hands.....

Its okay, I'm sure Kato's nose will find the lost coins, she has just booked the plane ticket to WA...

:playful:

:lol:

indi said:
The coin is from the Zuytorp from W.A west coast. The entire mintage of that type coin was on that wreck if you had the wa musueum certificate you looking at thousands sadly without it its a little dodgy to own has the wreck was looted about 30 years ago see the book a carpet of silver by playford

Yes a few have had a sniff around there indi,they did get one bloke in geralton years ago i read with 1400 of them,$$$ value doesnt interest me really its just a great little snippet of wa history,if i did have 1 yep i could get a slap on the hand but good luck proving theres one on my property at all,cant find something thats not there,manifests state there was 248,000 on board so the majoritys still down there,its a shame there gonna be left down there,they have a story to tell......

Goldchaser1 said:
steve google zuytdorp,caught up with D&C on sat in town,hope all is good your way....
Thanks mate...interesting read. That and the Batavia both interesting stuff. Bet the Dutch are kicking themselves now for not sticking a flag in us.

Latest posts