Advice on GPS units

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,
Was wondering what users were preferring to use as a gps unit (apart from the maps on our phones), just needing some input on ease of use, quality, reliability of their unit of choice :Y:

+ 1 for the Garmin units, I currently run a GPSmap 62s, I brought it back in 2012 and it has had a flogging and still going strong. Only down side is the ongoing cost to upgrade maps (if you choose to update them), around $199 for the Aus/NZ topo map, or $250 + for Topo and Hema.

Garmin has good PC based mapping software as well, very handy to plan trips with and upload to the unit.

I used to have a Garmin 7" Street Piolet. It weighed about a kilo but was the best GPS I've ever had until it died when the internal battery leaked and destroyed the circuit board. I bought the Hema HN7 after that and was extremely disappointed but it grew on my over the years to some extent but was the most unreliable machine I've ever had. The last time it broke down I upgraded to the inferior Hema HX2. It hardly ever gets used. I can't load my old tracks and waypoints unless I do them individually and we have thousands so it will never be done. I traded the buggered HN7 so I can't go back. Perhaps the only thing in it's favour is that Hema are easily contacted and try the best to be helpful which is a rare thing in a merchant these times.

One of the things that really annoys me with the HX2 is that I cannot have North Up on the maps. It just swings the map as you travel and then you have no idea where you are. Another is the search feature eg; if I search for Fuel it will only find things with Fuel in the description, not suppliers of fuel. Same of course for Petrol or Diesel so in the end you drive on until a service station shows up :( It's response times are so slow that you either delay your journey sorting out the GPS or you end up fiddling with the thing while trying to drive risking a crash or huge fine and loss of points. At present it's lying on the laundry cabinet where it's been for months.

Well, a GPS for the road would be something, or should be something different from the 64S that I suggested because I use it while detecting. As a backup in the bush I use my phone - and navigating with your phone while driving is almost if not easier than with a Hema or so.

Sorry I didn't take notice of your Garmin model. We mostly use a Garmin Etrex 20 and an Oregon 550. The Etrex is much more economical on batteries.

Garmin 64S is a top rugged unit that can take a flogging :Y: Stay away from touch screens for prospecting applications as due to usually having dirt etc on fingers it scratches the screen and eventually effects the sensitivity of the touch screen and clarity. :Y:

Is anyone using the Garmin E10 for there prospecting just to find the way back to your camp
not now but I have many times and know a heap of people do. Basic but very reliable and easy to use unit.
I have a Garmin rino 750 with all the bells and whistles, an excellent unit but too much for my simple mind. I will be selling it and just getting a little E10 again, good enough for what I want.

Yep, used the E10 for 10 years now, very simple, the wife and I both have them.
MT your back!!!

Could you run me thru the way to navigate to a waypoint as I am not getting a good arrow or compass direction it seams to want to go north. Do I have to set for southern hemisphere and true north map up etc.
When I feel I know the line of site to my target the compass point north and I feel I would get lost.
Regards
Brett

Could you run me thru the way to navigate to a waypoint as I am not getting a good arrow or compass direction it seams to want to go north. Do I have to set for southern hemisphere and true north map up etc.
When I feel I know the line of site to my target the compass point north and I feel I would get lost.
Regards
Brett
Heading set up can be changed to what you choose I believe ? Pointer behaviour also in regards to your waypoint. Not sure on E10 but my 64s can have pointer showing north or also showing direction to waypoint ie bearing or course. Directions a funny thing as in that some have sense of direction like a homing pigeon where as others get lost in their own back yard. Best part is your aware already that if your not proficient in using, then yes it indeed can lose you 👍. Sit and play with a normal compass and paper map and compare with what GPS is showing should give you confidence in what the gps is telling you. Despite how good the GPS I always have a paper map and compass with me anyways purely as a fail safe. Be aware of your surrounds, as in if you cross a track or a creek any significant features in area and your relation to them? When you leave your vehicle mark it on your gps. Hope this assist and stay safe.
ps Not sure on E10 but Shonky maps can be loaded into 64s https://shonkylogic.net/shonkymaps/

Last edited:
I have the E10 & E20 they both work the same. If you have a Waypoint marked, go into the waypoint manager in the menu and select it. Then select Go To.
Go back to the navigation screen and start walking, the unit needs to move to navigate. Follow the track to the waypoint. If you can't understand these directions let me know, I'll try to do a Video, but that may take some time as I'm about to collect my new caravan. :)

Thank you both. I have the Etrex 10 and traveling back today I hit reset and chose the home waypoint and I think it was correct. This a 100k road that I know well in a tactile and map orientation way.
Perhaps I was not navigating to a correctly selected waypoint prior. I will go into settings and see what it selected and bloody well leave them alone. Is it true north or magnetic best to set. Condorr any video you make I will watch.
Diginit thanks also
Kind regards and I think the caravan is way more important.
Brett

Latest posts