Advice on Flying / Plane Trips With A Detector + batteries

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to fly home with my metal detector and was wondering if it could be an issue luggage wise etc

Haven't done it yet but have had large items and fishing rods, as long as packed well and fragile tagged should not be an issue! Can't beet a hard case to protect it! :)

I'm thinking Ramjet missed the meaning of the question completely lol. I've never flown so unfortunately can't help you on this one.

Yep no problem have taken mine over to the West and back as carry on luggage just the control box and coil only, also booked the lot in as checked in with fragile tags no problem either way.
They have seen way stranger gear then a metal detector.
cheers deepblue

Ramjet never shares his coffee lol. I'm sure someone will chime in with the answer you're looking for soon enough.

Coffee? :) lol, - should be fine Dry- as long as you don't turn it on mate. The x ray should not damage anything , they may stare at it for a while on their screens. Make sure you have no dirt on the the coils.Good luck where ever you going.

Nugget said:
I'd say he's been drinking that magic coffee again :rolleyes:
Mi
Smartass Nugget :D I've not had my special "coffee" since xmas day.
For those wondering... I may have had a tiny to much coffee at the first Nundle gathering.
By coffee I mean bourbon. Apparently I talk loud and tent walls are thin ;)

Well I took my xterra over to New Zealand last week and Han no issues. Just make sure it's clean and they won't care

I fly with my metal detector on a very regular basis. It attracts attention but as soon as sanity prevails; they pass me through.

I took mine to the USA and had heaps of issues with the shaft looking like a baton when it was broken down. It's an xterra 70. They broke the zippers 3 times to have a look. I then found out you can buy locks that are approved by customs and they have keys that they use to open them. This saved me heaps of hassles and my bag didn't get damaged anymore. Hope this helps :)

Good point BG, unless your taking few spares.

Qantas;
Lithium ion battery powered equipment containing batteries over 100Wh but not exceeding 160Wh - GPX has 68Wh therefore is ok. Lot of laptops would fall in this category.

Lithium-ion rechargeable battery 68Wh with in-built amplifier for speaker use. Approx. 12 Hours use. Supplied with mains and vehicle charger.

Reference: http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/dangerous-goods/global/en

Latest posts