A very big BANG in the WA outback!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The article states that it was an "emulsion", so I suppose it may have been a premixed product and not a prill to be mixed on site.
The ICI manual I used to have, stated for safety that AN was to be mixed on site, and loaded directly into the charge hole because
of the hazards of static and or heat causing potential ignition.
I am concerned that it is transported in this state of 'emulsion' to a mine site.
Likely one of the trucks trailer brakes locked up causing the fire.
Driver has big balls to be decoupling the rest and driving away, and lucky there was no one else nearby, talk about job hazards, most people only worry about paper cuts.

🤯

"Residents were warned to stay inside and turn off their air-conditioning after a cloud of hazardous smoke was blown into the air"

not many residents out there, reporters just reading what someone has scripted for them

View attachment 5604

View attachment 5605
You could see it from the Cosmo community which was only a few kim’s away and has about 100 residents

Must have been a combination of conditions for the ammonia nitrate to explode? 400+ degrees temp or combined with oil (diesel) + heat.
Usually one of the safest explosives to transport.
It says "ammonium nitrate emulsion". Can "gassing" occur prior to it being pumped into the hole, making it more sensitive?

Wooo, that truck driver after decoupling the trailer must of stomped on it something fierce. So much so the article mentions nothing about him after he decoupled the trailer. 😆

Latest posts