A question for the Tradies.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had to pull out a sheet of corrugated iron from the middle of the roof, which was a very simple job. Putting it back on was a totally different story! I slid it under the sheet above it, but it jammed on the beam under that sheet. The sheet I was trying to slide in had a slight bow in the centre and wouldn't pass over the beam. In the end I had to loosen two more sheets to manoeuvre the first sheet over the beam. They all had roofing nails in them. That was fun getting them out! What started out as a simple job pulling the sheet out turned into a one hour plus ordeal! Does anyone know any tricks to slide the sheet back in without having to loosen the sheets around it? Cheers wiley

wiley coyote said:
I had to pull out a sheet of corrugated iron from the middle of the roof, which was a very simple job. Putting it back on was a totally different story! I slid it under the sheet above it, but it jammed on the beam under that sheet. The sheet I was trying to slide in had a slight bow in the centre and wouldn't pass over the beam. In the end I had to loosen two more sheets to manoeuvre the first sheet over the beam. They all had roofing nails in them. That was fun getting them out! What started out as a simple job pulling the sheet out turned into a one hour plus ordeal! Does anyone know any tricks to slide the sheet back in without having to loosen the sheets around it? Cheers wiley

I always run a 2X1 ( 50x25mm ) Batton over the Purlings and slide the sheet up that, Not bullit proof but it works ok for a bloke working on his own,

Other than that get another person in the roof space to lift it up as you go,

Hope that helps.

Short sheets you can bow them to bend upwards and hopefully rise enough to clear,
most times i usually have to loosen next sheet above,
Or put someone on inside to push up,

Another trick that has worked was a thin flat piece of tin maybe a foot wide bit more than a foot long, with a slight bend in it,
shove that between the stick and the iron with it hanging down towards you , slide next sheet under top sheet and above flat tin and hopefully it guides it back ontop of the stick,
I done that once when all else failed.

Never put nails or old roof screws back in , always convert to tech screws just incase you need access again.

First off, Make sure the Under Sheet has no bows in it... :)

If so, Place a pop rivet in the Centre of the over sheet BUT not in the valley of the sheet AND don't snap it off so you can pull it up and slide the Under sheet in the right place... Then snap off rivet and seal rivet with Roofing Silicone..

Then You can replace All Nails with Roofing Screws... ;) roofing screws have a rubber seal on them, Teck screws Don't. And be careful not to over-tighten them or they will leak...
Nails, loosen up over time...

LW....

Thanks for that info guys. Wish I'd known all that last week! I'll never put any nails back in, only roof screws, which is what I used. I reckon the original builder must have had to pre drill every nail hole, as it's hardwood. Imagine doing the whole house like that with a brace and bit. No power back then. I tried to hammer in a 4" nail into the hardwood, and it just bent over after going in about half an inch! Pulling the nails out with a hammer I found I was putting dents in the corro, so I put a piece of pipe in the valley, and levered the hammer on that, which stopped the denting. Cheers. wiley.

I got home around 7pm to find the new kitchen floor soaked 8.( ceiling still dripping
Roof sheets leaking ... theres nearly more patches than tin :8
All that walking around working on the chimney forced a few more holes
FAAAARK .... as if i dont have enough to do already :(
I think im gonna have to do same as Wiley and slide some patches under sheets.
The problem areas are pretty obvious when looking from inside (not so squeazy)
Its all where there are overlapped sheets, if they were just one length would be ok

Lonewolf has been talking me through in fixing my roof repaired

People that had this place before us used a new kind of guttering system...

Well it does not work :|

Have taken that off and waiting on the local hardware store to get the roofing iron in for me

Going to use a 600mm flashing on it and put up a guttering system and downspout

Should keep us going for awhile as the roofing bloke wanted 10grand to replace it

Only having problems with one side of the roof and the rest looks great

Goody :)

goody2shoes said:
Lonewolf has been talking me through in fixing my roof repaired

People that had this place before us used a new kind of guttering system...

Well it does not work :|

Have taken that off and waiting on the local hardware store to get the roofing iron in for me

Going to use a 600mm flashing on it and put up a guttering system and downspout

Should keep us going for awhile as the roofing bloke wanted 10grand to replace it

Only having problems with one side of the roof and the rest looks great

Goody :)

Geez, thats highway robbery, Even Dick Turpin Wore a Mask when he Robbed People. :playful: :playful: :playful: :playful:

Ive made a funnel out of a coke bottle , jammed that into a length of conduit and positioned under where it looks like its coming from , taken the drain hose off the washing m/c and put on the other end of conduit ,cable tied to copper water pipe and running down to a bucket
1620303593_17314a2c-ecd8-429f-88b1-360c5cbaaa1a.jpg

1620303618_1011db7e-3357-4044-8286-f11cbe991e7f.jpg

1620303618_7c1182dc-b66a-4349-9283-dda16427102a.jpg

Hasnt rained a single drop since :lol:

Gotta do what you can Sandta... Wait till it all dries out and you have a few days of sunshine... But do all your other jobs on the roof first, before you Re-roof the place...

Gee I should move down south and do some Roofing work for PA members... :)

Due to Storms 18 months ago in Central QLD, and recently in Springfield in Brisbane, Roofers and Materials are at a premium price and in very short supply.... Some roofing supply Companies are working 24/7, just to try and supply the Industry... Never alone the Thefts that are happening on these Job Sites...

I know Roofers who are getting paid $90+ per Hour on some crews with extras on top of that... So 10k for a new small roof is NOT out of the Question...

A full Tile Replacement on a House is well over 25-30k.... And Insurance Co's are paying for it... So really its EVERYONE who is paying for this through their increased Premiums...

LW....

Sandta , Or Anyone else out there doing roofing work on Old Houses and Sheds, On the underside of those old sheets should be a Manufactures stamp and/or a painted Emblem...

Can you send me a pic of what you have please...

There are big Collectors of those Stamps/Emblems and I may be able to get you a few $$ for them... ;) :perfect:

@ Wiley, try pulling out old Lead Head Nails... :) :playful: And Yes they were pre-drilled First... By Hand...

LW...