A new QED model is on the way

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update on the promised auto ground tracking.
In response to a query on the AEGPF forum, Bugs has confirmed that there is still no auto tracking and has not set any agenda for this function.
My advice to any QED PL3 owners is to keep this machine as a back up to your main use detector as it is a good light weight substitute should you have problems.
I have kept my early model (somewhat modified) just in case my 6000 should have a problem, although so far it has been perfect and has paid for itself many times over, including a 14oz specimen that SGed at 8.3ozs nett.
Testing is underway in WA and VIC. It is in customers best interests to wait for thorough testing to be complete before release.

[Mod edit: Posts are to be written with the intent to make a positive contribution to the discussion, negative contributions may be removed without notice]

Last edited by a moderator:
My advice to any QED PL3 owners is to keep this machine as a back up to your main use detector as it is a good light weight substitute should you have problems.

Reg I agree with what you say, I have a PL3 as well as a back up to my main use detector.

Also Reg do you feel in regards to the 6000, is it a disadvantage by it not having an option of a Manual GB operation as well for detecting, instead of only having the option of Auto ground tracking?

The reason for the question is the 7000 has the option of Manual, Semi-Auto and Auto , and are the majority of those who use the 7000 operating more so in Manual than either Semi-Auto or Auto.

Rush, in regard to the auto track on the 6000 I have found that the tracking is so good that a manual option is not really necessary. This detector is capable of finding both tiny and large gold at depth.
False signals due to carbon or hot ground spots can be tuned out by continued sweeps, but the 6000 seems to require more sweeps than earlier GPXs or the GPZ. By digging every signal regardless of the machines ability to tune out suspect signals I have not found the 6000 will tune out gold. I dug absolutely everything for some time when I first got my 6000 just to be sure that the tracking would not tune out gold.
I now have confidence that the 6000 does not lie. Probably the best detector that I have ever used.

As this is a QED theme let me just add that a QED is a good cheap option for those that do not wish to spend the sort of money that a 6000 costs.

I now have confidence that the 6000 does not lie. Probably the best detector that I have ever used.

As this is a QED theme let me just add that a QED is a good cheap option for those that do not wish to spend the sort of money that a 6000 costs.
Thanks Reg.

Also from your vast experience with different detectors over the years then that really is a positive for the 6000.

Agree on the QED as a cheap option for far less money, along with a small coil attached.

Rush I believe a lot of GPZ7000 users now run in semi auto.
Yes, mbasko it appears so on the forums after Minelab announced their free 2nd software update to the GPZ 7000 that incorporates a Semi-Auto ground balance setting and a new Ground Smoothing function.

I have no idea if any software updates are possible to the 6000 online via a PC as with the 7000.

However this being a thread and discussion on the QED it has had free updates throughout its history although not available online via a PC.

Updates are possible for the GPX6000 (remove 1 x screw for the speaker grill & a rubber plug covers the micro USB port).
Whether they release anything for it?
It is definitely a plus for the QED having free software updates but the downside is having to return if you want it done.

Updates are possible for the GPX6000 (remove 1 x screw for the speaker grill & a rubber plug covers the micro USB port).
Whether they release anything for it?
It is definitely a plus for the QED having free software updates but the downside is having to return if you want it done.
If you have the resources to code a rock solid firmware update ( like Codan would for military etc) that can with survive install interruption etc and simple EEPROM access to allow user updating it would be a lot simpler & worth the risk to do via downloads. But without those key prerequisites the risk of bricking the MD would be too high. I cant think of a better way to piss off a user than turn their new improved metal detector into a divining rod.

Whilst the QED is still semi boutique then RTB updating is better, but when the customer base gets big enough then that would be too expensive so it would need to be via download.

PC/phone excepted I cant think of how many "updateable" gadgets I have had that exactly zero or 1 update has ever been available. Bugs has had 4 in 5 years ( I think). I see that as a good thing in looking after original customers of PL1 & PL2 who were willing to take a chance on a newcomer.

I know I will be 1st in line when the AGB / AGT update to the PL3 goes live. !

Last edited:
Someone told me a long time ago "this is a dirty business full of liars thieves and scoundrels and that's the good ones"

BTW if your machine finds lead it WILL find gold.
This is Australia.

Latest posts