A Few Of Guessologists Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been a while since I've uploaded anything, haven't been out too much. In the time that I've been in the field though, I've been rocking a Detech 10x5" on the E-TRAC (cheers grubstake!) which has sparked it up a bit, much better separation in the rubbish piles and gets between the coffee bushes a lot better. Badges have been popular, and I've started to use tiny paper jewellery price tags on strings to catalogue my finds, works great:

Back to Heathcote 1937 - already found a 1930, if I can find the 1925 one I'll have the full set...
View attachment 1342
Victorian Protestant Federation - ~1917
View attachment 1341
And the top off a Hohner harmonica, text is pretty much illegible but the design is destinctive enough for an ID. Not sure why this is the first I've found when the reeds are practically more common than 1-2c coins here...
View attachment 1340

And the results of yesterdays hunt, a neat old padlock, 1919 penny and a little copper disc that's been used as a base for some kind of punch on both sides - any ideas of what might have been punched on it?
View attachment 1343
Don't forget to enter the COM & FOM competition for May 👍
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forums/competitions-giveaways.68/

Will do, had a lucky half hour last night on the way home from work, obviously the rain has made more relics grow in my usual areas. The snake buckle (did the old timers ever argue over whether it was supposed to be a snake or swan?) was an easy find in a spot I've hammered, funnily enough not a match for an earlier one I found maybe 10 meters away. I decided to work along an old fenceline after, the ETRAC hates fences but swinging parallel to the fence as much as possible got me close. The other buckle and coin were within a coil-width of the fence:

Capture.JPG

The coin had me stumped in the field since it was basically a blank disk, by far the crustiest silver I've ever pulled out of the ground here but still a bit off size for a sixpence, thought maybe another groat. It scrubbed up well enough to ID it as a Japanese 10 sen coin but regretfully had to get the steel wool out to get the date, 1896.

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

I might try giving it a soak in sodium thiosulfate and see what happens, not expecting miracles though. The crust looks like a wierd mixture of horn silver, sand and verdigris, it's one of the only coin crusts I've seen that wears down and blunts the resined steel wool nibbed Andre's Pencils...

I thought I'd go back and hit that site again while the iron was hot, and it paid out...
Capture.JPG
Literal cricket buckle, an 1859 token, a Paris buckle on steroids and a silver plated VR crown button, think these are supposed to be a military button in this age deposit? This is all ground I've supposedly done before...

I thought I'd go back and hit that site again while the iron was hot, and it paid out...
View attachment 1617
Literal cricket buckle, an 1859 token, a Paris buckle on steroids and a silver plated VR crown button, think these are supposed to be a military button in this age deposit? This is all ground I've supposedly done before...
Not only a token, it is also a penny I think.

" 1 Penny, 'Peace & Plenty', Victoria, Australia, 1859 Summary Copper One Penny Token, minted by Heaton & Sons, Birmingham, in 1859. This token is part of a large anonymous token issue made by Heaton & Sons employing die hubbing techniques."

Not only a token, it is also a penny I think.

" 1 Penny, 'Peace & Plenty', Victoria, Australia, 1859 Summary Copper One Penny Token, minted by Heaton & Sons, Birmingham, in 1859. This token is part of a large anonymous token issue made by Heaton & Sons employing die hubbing techniques."
They were called Penny Tokens.

Quick half-hour today gave me a pocket watch bit, some kind of interesting wire guide with a floating eyelet, 1907 penny and a Victorian-era padlock face with the keyhole guard still attached.
Capture.JPG
And from a few days ago elsewhere, got a faint signal that turned out to be a tiny little gilded charm. Stuff I can date from this spot tends to be around 1870s-1890s and this looks knackered enough to be that old.
Capture2.JPG

And a pretty good clean up of the area too! :)
What's the badge? Could be fairly old with all those coin dates found around it.

Cheers,
Megsy

Not sure about the badge, center is completely blank, only thing on it is a tiny "GILT" on the back.
That's unfortunate. However, I think I remember seeing another one somewhere on the forum a while back, that had a blue border on it too.
Can't remember where it was though to find it again. Someone on here might come up with it if they see this post.

Cheers,
Megsy

Went back to the site that gave me the silver jewellery a couple of pages ago to give the Legend a proper test - done that spot to death with the Equinox and E-TRAC. 20 minutes came up with a couple of teaspoons, buckles and a padlock keyhole cover so no doubt there's going to be more goodies there.

Back to where the coins came from with my first Legend outing, I pulled out a clock winder with no writing on it and quietly wished it was a pocket watch winder, then found one of those about 2 minutes later... "T.H. SLATER ALBURY", searching for advertising on Trove actually gives a really narrow window of activity for that business, about 1885-1890. Also got a random 1876 half penny with a shiny patina on my way out that I've walked over many times.
Capture2.JPG
Capture.JPG

Here's the last find I had with the E-TRAC, another Yolkova thimble. Didn't see the tiny "GERMAN MAKE" until I photographed it for this post.
Capture3.JPG

Are you sure that's a clock winder? It looks like a fancy screw under the dirt there.
Can't say I've seen a clock winder like that before.

Cheers,
Megsy

Enjoyed your finds again G. Great thimble and other relics. I agree with Megsy that the winder is probably not for a clock. If you clean it up would you post a pic please.

Some sort of adjustable fastener, I think. Screw it in tight, to lock something in place; back off to adjust the something, then tighten it down again to re-lock the something in the new position. What that 'something' might be, I have no idea.

Latest posts