7.4v battery mods

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have modded the battery setup for my sd2000 to 7.4v from 2x18650 batteries.
I am just wondering how people wire in the camera batteries with a bigger capacity? I have seen some Sony ones and the wire seems to be coming out of the bottom of the battery but the connectors look like they are in hole form on the top.

I can't find the picture I was after but the link is the battery I am talking about.
Has anyone wired these?

https://www.betterbatt.com.au/s/camcorder-battery/sony/np-f970/bbcb-197

Another option (seeing as though you already have 18650 batteries) would be to wire 4 x 18650 as 2S2P - 2 in series to give 7.4v & 2 in parallel to double capacity i.e. if using Panasonic 3400mah capacity batteries 2S2P will give 6800mah. Can add more in parallel if wanted?
There are holders available that make it easy rather than soldering on tabs etc. They also include a built in PCM https://www.ebay.com/itm/363092361995?hash=item5489fdc30b:g:azYAAOSw6nVfTh7N
I used these mounted in a small project box with audio/power wiring internal + the detector & audio connections on the box (similar but smaller/lighter than the GPX4500/5000 battery). I used 240v & 12v x 7.4v li-ion chargers I put a Minelab type 4 pin connector on. Periodically I'd remove the individual 18650 cells & put on a smart charger. Never had any problems with it.
These holders, once set up, make it easy to remove/replace cells.
From memory you need unprotected flat 18650 batteries to fit into the slots (built in PCM so protected batteries aren't required).
I have one of these holders that I won't use now. If you want it to try & cover postage you can have it.

Thanks for the input went out today for about 3 hours batteries lasted with no issues i 3d printed some holders for the 18650's so i can charge them in a smart charger. i will just order another set or two to keep me going won't worry about the bigger camera battery.

Latest posts