4x4 tyre specials

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PabloP said:
I have BFG AT's on the Prado and they have done 116k kilometres and I expect them to make it to 120k at least, BFGs are the best.

Rob.

They are impressive numbers already at 116 chasing 120 on BFG AT's. What pressure are you running and how many km on the dirt (hard driving) have they done, I'm interested to know.

I've run BFG Mud Terrains before, bitumen at 40psi off road down to 14psi in sand all other 4x4 off road around 26 to 28psi, average speed 30 to 50kmph. General gravel road driving was at 40psi upto 100kmph. Managed to get 100k and they were knackered.

Also run Bridgestone (wouldn't waste my dollars on them) and Dunlop Good Year ATR's. Currently using Dunlop GY ATR's and struggle to get 60k. Tyre quality seems to be on a downward trend imo..

Currently, Ive got BFG AT (KO,s) and had them on for over 3 years. HWY speed 140km. Off road depends on the road, but long haul, decent road 100kmph and plenty of proper slow 4x4ing. They are by far the best all round tyre Ive ever had. I run 45psi for day to day stuff, drop down to 34 for extended out bush. Had yokahama,s on my lasy 4x, Mazda Bravo, they were ok, but did get a couple of punctures, and the side walls no where near as good.
Plus, with this deal, I get a good compressor for free! LOL.

I'm needing tyr soon and the wife needs them now I'll check them out on the strength of these comments.

i`ve got 1 month ago a good deal from bob jane as well.
general grabber at2 4 tyres and fit and balance for $700.
When you have the cash and you know how to get a deal, you get them for bargain.
never pay what`s shown or listed in the catalog.
Tyres where $239 per tyre .... so i saved $250 ...

RM Outback said:
PabloP said:
I have BFG AT's on the Prado and they have done 116k kilometres and I expect them to make it to 120k at least, BFGs are the best.

Rob.

They are impressive numbers already at 116 chasing 120 on BFG AT's. What pressure are you running and how many km on the dirt (hard driving) have they done, I'm interested to know.

I've run BFG Mud Terrains before, bitumen at 40psi off road down to 14psi in sand all other 4x4 off road around 26 to 28psi, average speed 30 to 50kmph. General gravel road driving was at 40psi upto 100kmph. Managed to get 100k and they were knackered.

Also run Bridgestone (wouldn't waste my dollars on them) and Dunlop Good Year ATR's. Currently using Dunlop GY ATR's and struggle to get 60k. Tyre quality seems to be on a downward trend imo..

About 70% would be highway, quite a bit of this towing boat or van, but lots also on WA station tracks, sandy and muddy, rather than rocky. Pressures usually just over 40PSI depending on whether towing or not, I am not a stickler for exact pressure settings. I rarely do more than 100kmh, only do so if in heavy traffic in 110 zones to try and not hold up the traffic.

Image is of some of the station access road to be negotiated.
1474243819_2016-03-28_23.52.35-21.jpg

Rob P.

Thanks for the reply Rob P those km in the driving conditions you describe is impressive I'll be off to BJ's to check them out.

Last set I have tried is the Bridgestone Dueler A/T 697 LT, on my 2011 D-Max. I'm currently on around 85,000, and may get another 10-20,000 out of them.

I've been pretty happy with these, and prefer them to the BFG's I had on my previous Rodeo.

Stock Bridgestone's that came on the D-Max were rubbish, and I only got 40,000 out of them.

I have tried Maxis A/T , BFG , coopers and in the dry they were okay but as soon as you get on wet rocks or wet asphalt they slide around like a beach.

I am disgusted with their wet road performance.

I currently have Hankook dynapro M/T and they stick beautifully in the wet , great mud tyre , rock , sand , you name it .

i rate them an 8 / 10 compared to the above rated at 3.5/10.

They are blocky mud tyres , yet they stick twice as good as all terrain A/T tyres do from BFG and Maxis

I dont know what K's i will get and really dont care if they wear out in 50,000 km , i would rather still have them and get a shorter life from the tyres than have to put up with the other rubbish.

Really? I'm surprised you say that, as Darwin is pretty wet in the wet season. I drive on roads, and red dirt, that turns to red slime in the wet, towing boats and driving to gold areas. I really rate my current set of BFG,s. This is the only time I've ever sung the praise of any tire. I like the wider profile, mine are 235/70/16,s. Maybe the 215,s arnt as good, I don't know, but I wouldn't buy try anything but these. I havnt had a puncture in 3 years with these, my last set, Of yokahams,s looked great, but, I had several punctures driving the same conditions. I havnt driven over wet rock, just dirt, mud ( cross country, no tracks) and road, and they are good.

I get my tyres from E-tyre Store. In Geebung Qld. I think the ATR'S I got were about $140 a tyre +fitting. Have not had any probs. Rated 180KPH.
Don't know if they have stores interstate. Worth a try.
Jaros :p

HeadsUp said:
I have tried Maxis A/T , BFG , coopers and in the dry they were okay but as soon as you get on wet rocks or wet asphalt they slide around like a beach.

I am disgusted with their wet road performance.

I currently have Hankook dynapro M/T and they stick beautifully in the wet , great mud tyre , rock , sand , you name it .

i rate them an 8 / 10 compared to the above rated at 3.5/10.

They are blocky mud tyres , yet they stick twice as good as all terrain A/T tyres do from BFG and Maxis

I dont know what K's i will get and really dont care if they wear out in 50,000 km , i would rather still have them and get a shorter life from the tyres than have to put up with the other rubbish.

Never used Hankook made in Korea I think not that that matters. Km travelled, strength on the side wall & tread, ability to handle hard off road and bitumen without punctures is what I want when I purchase tyres. Haven't found this experience for some time now seems to be 50k maximum with a few punctures along the way. Having a turbo charged dual cab means the drive tyres always loose grip /slide if cornering or accelerating to quick so driving to the vehicles weakness helps preserve tyre wear.

Well I ran a set of KO2's on the 100 series cruiser and was happy with them. Put the same on the 200 cruiser and learnt the quality seems to have altered for the worse :( Put the 200 in for a service not knowing the rear right had a screw in the tyre, after removing this was discovered :8
1637541705_img_20211122_111348.jpg

1637541729_img_20211122_111410.jpg

The screw was nowhere near the internal sidewall rupture, still plenty of tread life on the tyre. Only normal bitumen and dirt road driving, running pressure is 40psi.
1637541890_img_20211122_111437.jpg

I'll be putting in a claim.

Upgraded to the new Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek :D time will tell. If not the 1st vehicle to have them fitted we're inside the top 10 according to the fitter, 60/40 composite - 60 off road 40 on road.
1637542145_img_20211122_113534.jpg

1637542166_img_20211122_113559.jpg

Two trains of thought...

1/ Anything black...round and holds air is good in the bush.
2/ Anything less than 10PR is a waste of time.

My experience has been......coopers can't handle the heat...keep splitting side walls.

BFG are city tyres...too bulgy in the side walls and only around 3PR

Any tyre will poop itself out here...get good tyres but more importantly learn to strip down and repair yourself.

Just my thoughts.

davent said:
http://www.bobjane.com.au/tyres/special-offers/bfgoodrich-arb-air-compressor-promotion/

these are a great tyre. I had KO, s (have) on my hilux for the last 3 years, great wear and tear, not noisy, great off road. New ko 2, s are even better, thicker side walls. Gunna get me some, and I need a compressor to! Tyre plus have same offer.

I remember last time you got a free compressor but I can't see the same deal there this time ??

Hope you do get one, I love mine, Good luck Dave, :Y: