3000 year old Bronze Age Hoard found in Scotland

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jethro said:
I love ancient history. Thanks for sharing. Ridgerunner If this covid thing ever gets the hobbles put on it, The Missus and I would like to come over for a look around. She went on an organised tour 3 yrs ago taking in a small portion of what there is to see in the british isles. Id like to take 6weeks or more and do a self drive checking out all the lesser known sites and theme museums. Id love a days detecting with a chance to find something really old. I get a kick out of finding anything pre WW1.

Your welcome to come detecting with me any time, The place I call the Roman site I go to It dates back to the Neolithic era, During the 70/80's some uni even had a Dig at the Neolithic spot, I often find bits of WWII Aircraft and Bullets, Some live some not plus Roman Items and things from the middle ages right up to modern day finds, One spot was used as a Medieval Market for hundreds of years, :Y:

The Neolithic Period started around 12,000 BC and ended around 3500 BC, So that site could well be 14,000 years old. So if Humans have been habiting there for 14,000 years then the sky's the limit when it comes to finds, One thing for sure you can't move your coil without getting a Signal, The trick is to work out what the detector is saying :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Ridge Runner said:
jethro said:
I love ancient history. Thanks for sharing. Ridgerunner If this covid thing ever gets the hobbles put on it, The Missus and I would like to come over for a look around. She went on an organised tour 3 yrs ago taking in a small portion of what there is to see in the british isles. Id like to take 6weeks or more and do a self drive checking out all the lesser known sites and theme museums. Id love a days detecting with a chance to find something really old. I get a kick out of finding anything pre WW1.

Your welcome to come detecting with me any time, The place I call the Roman site I go to It dates back to the Neolithic era, During the 70/80's some uni even had a Dig at the Neolithic spot, I often find bits of WWII Aircraft and Bullets, Some live some not plus Roman Items and things from the middle ages right up to modern day finds, One spot was used as a Medieval Market for hundreds of years, :Y:

The Neolithic Period started around 12,000 BC and ended around 3500 BC, So that site could well be 14,000 years old. So if Humans have been habiting there for 14,000 years then the sky's the limit when it comes to finds, One thing for sure you can't move your coil without getting a Signal, The trick is to work out what the detector is saying :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
14000 yrs old, unreal. that would be a hoot.

jethro said:
Ridge Runner said:
jethro said:

14000 yrs old, unreal. that would be a hoot.

I had a mate come over from South Africa back in 2010 and I took him there and within an hour or so he found a Hammered Cut Half Silver Penny from around 1240-1248AD, Good effort seeing as he had never found any thing older than around 150 years old, :Y:

grubstake said:
Ridge Runner said:
Ghost_Who_Walks said:
grubstake said:
That would have to be Roman I guess, so probably 1,000 years younger than those Bronze Age relics.

No reason for it to be Roman. They didn't invent the chariot and many civilisations were using them long before they arrived.

Yeah, Last night I watched a doco on King Tut and he had a load of them 3500 years ago and they were using them in the UK 4 or 5000 years ago

Whoah, gentlemen - it's not a pub quiz - let's stick to the relevant history of the area in question, please! AFAIK King Tut was never active in the Scottish Borders region and those pre-Roman "many civilisations" were way over on the far side of Europe and the Asian steppes.

The Celts are known to have had chariots by 200BC (ie. 2200 years ago), but 4-5000 years ago (ie. 2000-3000BC) seems like a stretch. We're talking about a detectable axle, remember - so Bronze Age maybe (2500BC to 500BC), but most likely Iron Age (no earlier than 500BC).
Earliest Celtic chariots were more like 500 BC

Latest posts