3000 year old Bronze Age Hoard found in Scotland

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just starting said:
That could open up a can of worms for the archaelogists who may find a hell of a lot more artefacts. Good on them for reporting the finds and not taking them home.

The last time I checked Scotland had much stricter laws regarding finds than England so it will be interesting to see what the out come is, whether they just take it from him or he gets the market price for it, Although the finds system works most of the time there have been a couple of problems in the past.

Imagine the organic finds laying around that area not pinging with any metal..... they will need to widen the search area and method there thats for sure.... :eek:

silver said:
Imagine the organic finds laying around that area not pinging with any metal..... they will need to widen the search area and method there thats for sure.... :eek:

They said on the Main News that he also found the Axle of a Chariot so he would of got a heck of a signal off of that,

Hard Luck said:
"Mr Stepien was searching the field with friends when he found a bronze object buried half a metre underground."

Is that a Nox in the pic of him with his gear?

That's the beauty of this Green and Pleasant land, A VLF can match a PI for depth,

The soil he was detecting in seems to be a bit Chalky which means it will be damp and VLF's will go deep in soil like that, I've hit coins at over 14" in that type of soil, I found a bit off a Lantern at 21" deep using a Minelab Muskateer Advantage with a 10" coil,

Gotta love detecting over here :Y:

Ridge Runner said:
silver said:

They said on the Main News that he also found the Axle of a Chariot so he would of got a heck of a signal off of that,

That would have to be Roman I guess, so probably 1,000 years younger than those Bronze Age relics.

Ghost_Who_Walks said:
grubstake said:
That would have to be Roman I guess, so probably 1,000 years younger than those Bronze Age relics.

No reason for it to be Roman. They didn't invent the chariot and many civilisations were using them long before they arrived.

Yeah, Last night I watched a doco on King Tut and he had a load of them 3500 years ago and they were using them in the UK 4 or 5000 years ago

Ridge Runner said:
Ghost_Who_Walks said:
grubstake said:

No reason for it to be Roman. They didn't invent the chariot and many civilisations were using them long before they arrived.

Yeah, Last night I watched a doco on King Tut and he had a load of them 3500 years ago and they were using them in the UK 4 or 5000 years ago

Whoah, gentlemen - it's not a pub quiz - let's stick to the relevant history of the area in question, please! AFAIK King Tut was never active in the Scottish Borders region and those pre-Roman "many civilisations" were way over on the far side of Europe and the Asian steppes.

The Celts are known to have had chariots by 200BC (ie. 2200 years ago), but 4-5000 years ago (ie. 2000-3000BC) seems like a stretch. We're talking about a detectable axle, remember - so Bronze Age maybe (2500BC to 500BC), but most likely Iron Age (no earlier than 500BC).

grubstake said:
Ridge Runner said:
Ghost_Who_Walks said:
grubstake said:

Whoah, gentlemen - it's not a pub quiz - let's stick to the relevant history of the area in question, please! AFAIK King Tut was never active in the Scottish Borders region and those pre-Roman "many civilisations" were way over on the far side of Europe and the Asian steppes.

The Celts are known to have had chariots by 200BC (ie. 2200 years ago), but 4-5000 years ago (ie. 2000-3000BC) seems like a stretch. We're talking about a detectable axle, remember - so Bronze Age maybe (2500BC to 500BC), but most likely Iron Age (no earlier than 500BC).

The Druids used carts they date back to over 5000 years ago, and every invader that came after that time bought stuff over here as the UK was a trading post for many travellers over the past 5000 years, Some Invaded and Some came and settled down and other left and never came back, There is no reason not to believe in what he found, The Iron age was 750BC and the Bronze age was 2500BC to 800BC

Some of my finds are well over 2000 years old, When Blocker and I met up I gave him a couple of coins just on 2000 years old and from around 1247AD that I found in 2010, Ancient metal workings are quite common in the UK and I can take anyone anytime to a place where they will make such finds, :Y:

nucopia said:
Pretty sure the Romans did not venture fare into Scotland.. Hadrians wall was was probably the furthest north the controlled.
Awesome archeological find .. :perfect:

Mel Gibson told em to bugger off, :playful: :playful: :playful:

The Roman Territory ranged as far as the Antonine wall much further north than Peebles where the hord was found. The Antonine wall stretched across the Firth of Forth, cutting off Caledonia from the Picts, and it was built about twenty years after Hadrians wall which was much further South. The Scots didn't arrive until hundreds of years later in the 6th century when they invaded from Ireland. The Scots often like to claim that they drove out the Romans, but there weren't any Romans left when the Scots got there. The Picts (so called because the Romans named them Picti, which in Latin meant painted people, which by the way shows Mel's character to be completely laughable as a Scot being painted hundreds of years later). The Scots are not descendants of Picts, the Scots being from Irish stock and the Picts presumed to be of Scandinavian origin. The Scots never defeated the Romans, the only race that has ever done that and shaken the Roman empire were the Jews, and they paid a terrible price for it later.

I love ancient history. Thanks for sharing. Ridgerunner If this covid thing ever gets the hobbles put on it, The Missus and I would like to come over for a look around. She went on an organised tour 3 yrs ago taking in a small portion of what there is to see in the british isles. Id like to take 6weeks or more and do a self drive checking out all the lesser known sites and theme museums. Id love a days detecting with a chance to find something really old. I get a kick out of finding anything pre WW1.

Latest posts