240V to caravan while parked at home.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
Just use one of these on an extension lead. Bezel is removable if need be. I have a van plug on a container I use to connect power to when needed and also plugs into Genset plug in power box when the lights go out and run the whole house thru it :oops: Unless you plan on having an Ed Sheeran concert in your van it will never do any harm. 👍 Many old caravan parks still only have 10 amp outlets on their powered sites.

15 amp .jpg

I use I think it's called a amphibian, it takes the 15A lead and has a 10A lead and able to plug into a household socket. And legal. Also has it's own breaker.
I have a 15 amp outlet in the shed 12x9 meters where I park the caravan and have a selection of leads and adaptors for travel . 10 to 15 amp may not be quite legal but gets you power when there is only a 10amp outlet.

Red

only difference between a 10 amp and 15 amp is the earth lug on 15 amp plug is a little wider
Ask any electrician, if he was asked to change an outlet from 10 to 15 amp, does he also have to rewire from the meterbox to outlet, they'll say nope. However, you "may" need to swap the circuit breaker from 10 to 15 amp if the 10 amp keeps tripping.
Ask if they were changing from 10 amp to 20, they'll say yes a new outlet, a rewire and new 20 amp breaker will be required.

Last edited:
Its very well been answered by now. Do it correctly.

15A power outlet in the shed/house, installed by a licensed electrician... or an approved adapter such as the amphibian.

Don't trim down earth pins, don't molest power cords. Do it properly.

They don't call electricity the invisible killer for nothing. Not to mention the risk of burning down your house, shed or van. then you also have your insurance company to deal with.

only difference between a 10 amp and 15 amp is the earth lug on 15 amp plug is a little wider
Ask any electrician, if he was asked to change an outlet from 10 to 15 amp, does he also have to rewire from the meterbox to outlet, they'll say nope. However, you "may" need to swap the circuit breaker from 10 to 15 amp if the 10 amp keeps tripping.
Ask if they were changing from 10 amp to 20, they'll say yes a new outlet, a rewire and new 20 amp breaker will be required.
Correct bloke as the wiring to a 10 amp socket if wired correctly is 20 amp rated in any case. Not sure what people think is in the magic ampfibian (as it's spelt) but it still uses the wiring thru out the house of the 10 amp socket circuit . It does nothing that your power box in your house does not already do ?

Correct bloke as the wiring to a 10 amp socket if wired correctly is 20 amp rated in any case. Not sure what people think is in the magic ampfibian (as it's spelt) but it still uses the wiring thru out the house of the 10 amp socket circuit . It does nothing that your power box in your house does not already do ?

No magic, just the cheapest, easiest and quickest way to solve the issue without voiding insurances and adding a potential safety risk.

All UK Caravans have Shore Power Hookup Sockets that are 16A/32A and you can buy differant adapters beit male or female sockets and plugs, You need to make up some Aussie versions of these two short leads with the plugs on,

Hope this helps.

Standard hookup for the House or Genny.

Caravan Hookup Adapter.jpg
Female Plug Socket for the Caravan site hookup "BLUE" to a normal AC House Socket.Caravan 240v-electric-hook-up-plug-to-3-pin-uk-mains-socket.jpg

This is the Standard Caravan mounted Hookup Socket,

Caravan Electrical-Inlet-White.jpg

This is the Semi Waterproof Socket Mounted Hidden On my Van,

My Shore Power Hookup Socket.jpeg

And I have this RCD Fuse Board and Sockets mounted inside my Van.

My Shore Hookup.jpg

While rummaging through my "if & maybes" under seat emergency tools I found a couple of items that are handy if the occasion ever arises.
Poked a hole in my radiator and Bars Leak fixed it, drove several thousand kms until I could get a new radiator.
Chafing in the GU wiring harness caused a dead short blowing the fuse for injection pump solenoid. In this instance was only 40kms from home on our way on another prospecting trip. RAC flat trayed ute and towed van to our regular auto electrician. They found short, fixed and we were on the road again next morning. An added bonus they made up an emergency lead with solenoid spade & alligator clip to get me home if it ever happened again.

Emergency.jpg

Latest posts