240k nugget found Golden Triangle Vic. with Equinox 800

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Members, please note the following:
The finder and the detector used and the gold content of the two specimen pieces, have all been confirmed as true and correct by a reliable source, to the satisfaction of the PA Moderating Team. Further debate on these points and/or any derogatory comments will be removed without further notice.

It's a fantastic, true story - let's celebrate that!

The correct takeaway from this story is that there is still some good chunks out there for the active and the lucky.
Armchair prospectors won't find it no matter how much they blather on the forums!
All I can say is well-done to the prospector and well-done to Lucky Strike for helping to raise the profile of detecting in Victoria, where we all know the Greenie brigade are only too keen to kick out prospectors.
As for the wisecrack comments about the suckers -- pull ya heads in -- don't forget all of us started somewhere. Give some encouragement instead.
That's a fair comment except I can tell you straight from the horses mouth that the actions of prospectors shuts more gates than the greenies. Quite a few with hopes and dreams will find this out this season unfortunately. The person doing the swinging needs to either lift their game or stay home. Perhaps that's what needs to be encouraged as the goldfields are already buzzing regards the influx of fortune hunters that the current gold price is going to bring? 😠
As for this find, the person finding it has no control over the press or what they write? ABC report heading states it is a 2.6 nugget which is incorrect, but in the article below the same heading it is called a specimen of quartz and gold weighing 2.6 kg. I guess you have to have a grabber headline? 🤔

Last edited:
That's a fair comment except I can tell you straight from the horses mouth that the actions of prospectors shuts more gates than the greenies
Your comment is effectively a slap to all prospectors and serves to reinforce negative stereotypes about prospectors with greenies who monitor the forum. Not really a good thing for prospecting's reputation. It is however beyond dispute that the increased number of national parks and reserves in Victoria -- which have been lobbied for very hard by the greenies -- has reduced the ground available to prospect. Our Australian goldfields heritage is all about prospectors and miners who dreamed and had a go at finding something. Different age, different tools, same dream. Long live the dream.

That's a fair comment except I can tell you straight from the horses mouth that the actions of prospectors shuts more gates than the greenies. Quite a few with hopes and dreams will find this out this season unfortunately. The person doing the swinging needs to either lift their game or stay home. Perhaps that's what needs to be encouraged as the goldfields are already buzzing regards the influx of fortune hunters that the current gold price is going to bring? 😠
As for this find, the person finding it has no control over the press or what they write? ABC report heading states it is a 2.6 nugget which is incorrect, but in the article below the same heading it is called a specimen of quartz and gold weighing 2.6 kg. I guess you have to have a grabber headline? 🤔
Absolutely correct, whether or not some don't like it.

I don't know why people bag the 800, I have owned every Minelab from a 1700 to a 4500 and I have had more pleasure, fun and made more money from finding coins and gold etc with the 800 then all the other machines put together (well maybe my SDC would win in the Gold department, but not by much), they are seriously underestimated by the hoards of people that don't know how to use them properly and don't realize how good they are

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts