240k nugget found Golden Triangle Vic. with Equinox 800

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If he found it in november people would say it’s because Christmas is coming. If he found it in January people would say it’s because Australia Day is coming.
If he found it on a Friday people would say it’s because the weekend is coming up.

Heres another theory, maybe he just found it with an equinox 800

BS at its best!

Gold does funny things to people and they know it

Times are tough, a small outlay may just reap big rewards... for who. There’s a sucker born every day

Last edited:
The correct takeaway from this story is that there is still some good chunks out there for the active and the lucky.
Armchair prospectors won't find it no matter how much they blather on the forums!
All I can say is well-done to the prospector and well-done to Lucky Strike for helping to raise the profile of detecting in Victoria, where we all know the Greenie brigade are only too keen to kick out prospectors.
As for the wisecrack comments about the suckers -- pull ya heads in -- don't forget all of us started somewhere. Give some encouragement instead.

Even if a dealer did wait to publicize it, they are a business, and there is a lot of cost and effort to procure a big gold find, so I don't agree that it is a problem. Regardless of my views on this point, it is fine to say you don't like this type of advertising. But it is unfair when you have not confirmed the facts and overlooked the dealer's honesty.

I do know the story, and I was fortunate to have held this gold in my hands only weeks ago and I will back it up with facts.

The finder could not see any gold in the rock as it was covered and stained in red dirt, so he belted it with the pick to break it open, and why it is in two parts. He was not even sure it was gold and took one half to ask the dealer. When confirmed it was gold, he hoped he had up to $10k worth. Lucky for him the dealer is very honest and told him it'd be more like $100k worth.

As for timeframes any decent prospector (dealers included) will tell the finder to keep it quiet, and go and detect the area out, which can mean months or years of work, and often why there are delays in announcements. There has been a lot of other big finds that never make the media for this reason, and for security too. I commend the dealer and others who make efforts to post big finds for the enjoyment of all, and to promote prospecting as we need positive stories.

The dealer always intended to show the find publicly without delay once purchased. There is a lot of work to facilitate a sale with a big specimen apart from getting the money to buy it, such as Specific Gravities, gold purity calcs, security, etc. The finder had to be brought up to speed on this process, so he could be happy with a sale price.

The find was made in November 2022. Lucky Strike could have done a pre-sale agreement and advertised prior to Xmas but didn't. Now it has been purchased, it was announced. The publicity will benefit the other dealers Easter sales too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts