⭐ Show Us Your Cut Stones - Before And After Photos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone.

Here's an update on more stones I'm currently getting cut.

Have a whole second batch of sapphires and zircons with the cutter currently being cut. Here are some photos he sent as an update/progress of some of mine stones he is cutting and some hes putting in rings, all found myself on my claim in Rubyvake
(second post. couldn't attach all photos in one post, rest of photos on previous page)

Also some before and after photos and photos of some beautiful and unique rough sapphires I've found.

First photo (not the best photo of it) is a 117ct, deep blue on the table and deep green on the cross-table. Very clear, not many inclusions. keeping it as a rough because of its size and has a phallic shape haha, will get a better photo of it showing both colours in it

The 2 photos of the zircon is a before and after cutting, the rough looked like a peach candy. 13ct rough, cut to 6ct.

Screenshot_20221121-004702_Gallery.jpgbefore.jpgafter.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221121-005742_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221121-005742_Gallery.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221121_005756.jpg
    Screenshot_20221121_005756.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 0
Don't have a pic of the rough stone - dug for 6 weeks without success so picked up an 8 ct rough from Coolamon Mining - cut it myself and managed a yield of 1.81 ct; bought the finding from LA Gems and set it myself (courtesy of Youtube) total cost $400, insurance valuation $2800.

Attachments

• New Ring 7.PNG
    New Ring 7.PNG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Before and after of Hart's Range (Mud tank) zircons I dug and cut. Also a 2 ct (9.2 ct rough) Sapphire (Cushion Cut) I did for an engagement ring.

Attachments

• IMG_2857.JPG
    IMG_2857.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20201126_172326.jpg
    IMG_20201126_172326.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20201116_180305_BURST12.jpg
    IMG_20201116_180305_BURST12.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
They say that there is an opal to suit everyone… ?
The other day I cut this free form carving from a little Nobby and when I was finished I just had to have it, and so I bought it. I don’t know why, but I just had to have this one.D735F527-DF29-4C86-BBAE-A5D78CCDE4B7.jpeg7B1C8491-728B-494E-8993-0777D8143217.jpeg6EB1CFC0-7825-42F8-ADA9-D9D25BBA94FF.jpeg
It’s a cracking little black opal that came in at 1.57cts. The rough piece I am told came the 9 Mile field at Lightning Ridge and is indicative of colour that is found there.

That is an amazing piece and I think you've approached the cutting to right way, it's way too good for a standard shape.
Thanks Dihusky. I’ve cut a few now (lots of standard shapes) and I agree, this was the right way to cut this stone. It packs a lot into 1.5 cts which is good because I probably wouldn’t have been able to afford it if it was any bigger.😁 This is the first one I’ve cut and bought, which says something because I’ve cut plenty of beautiful opal that I’ve been happy to part with.
Hope you and Dinah are doing well and you’re back doing a bit of cutting.

That certainly is a nice piece of of opal, I'd call it the Black Boomerang
Haha…yeah I’m not sure this one has quite achieved the naming status of the true specimen opals but it sure is cute.😄
I was looking at it and wondering why I liked the shape so much and then it hit me… it reminded me of one my favourite places… Lord Howe Island, where my wife and I went on our honeymoon.
DA7D9FBF-4695-4055-8DDD-FAAF18D555C5.jpeg

Thanks Dihusky. I’ve cut a few now (lots of standard shapes) and I agree, this was the right way to cut this stone. It packs a lot into 1.5 cts which is good because I probably wouldn’t have been able to afford it if it was any bigger.😁 This is the first one I’ve cut and bought, which says something because I’ve cut plenty of beautiful opal that I’ve been happy to part with.
Hope you and Dinah are doing well and you’re back doing a bit of cutting.
Hi Martyz, we're doing great, no cutting yet as we haven't started the reno work on the studio, that'll be next year. You'll have to stop by on the way to 'The Ridge' next time you head west. We're going there next July for a week over the Festival.

Hi Martyz, we're doing great, no cutting yet as we haven't started the reno work on the studio, that'll be next year. You'll have to stop by on the way to 'The Ridge' next time you head west. We're going there next July for a week over the Festival.
Good to hear you’re enjoying country life and yes we will definitely drop in and see you when we’re out that way next.👍

Thanks, I don’t think there are to many deposits of poppy jasper in Australia, heaps in the US, and ocean jasper but I think it’s mostly mined out, I found and cut this piece around 2 weeks back, I may put in the monthly comp if it qualifies ?.

We often see pictures of rough gemstones from members, but what about the ones that have been cut and made all sparkly?

If you've had a gemstone cut, feel free to share with us some before and after photos. And please don't forget to include a little info about the gemstone in your post.

Cheers,
Nugget

Sapphire rough from Rubyvale - cushion cut for an engagement ring @ 1.25 carat - the photo doesn't do it justice as it has splashes of gold and teal.

Attachments

• Netti 2.jpg
    Netti 2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • Nettie 1.jpg
    Nettie 1.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
Love the complexity of the stones internal structure.
Minimal facets worked very well - congratulations
Thanks mate, yes there's a bit happening inside this stone. Had to keep the facets simple to allow the colour to really shine. Not sure if Kim Hughes will see this one, but she might see the pair I'm now cutting.

Latest posts